Ok gas prices are getting ridiculous....Regular in this car?

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
This shit is starting to get irritating.....Pretty soon I'm not going to be able to afford to get to work putting Premium 93 in this vehicle.

I'm wondering could the CTR handle regular gas until this gets sorted out? I'm thinking 87 or 89 for a couple of months should be fine for this car right? until the prices start to settle hopefully.
Sponsored

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Give me a break...

Even at $1 more a gallon it's $12 more a full tank. If you are strapped that much for cash then you shouldn't be driving a type R or any car period.

SalemTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Own: ‘17 PMM CTR, 2013 White Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I wouldn’t chance a lower grade fuel in the awesome CTR. That’s your baby treat it well. Just wait until it’s $10/gal. Then the greenies win to get more stupid electric cars developed like electricity comes out of the hole in your wallo_O Buy a cheap used little fuel efficient car for a daily and use your CTR for the fun rides it was built for:drive:

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
no way I'd put anything less than 91 in a CTR. I never personally put less than 93 in it. remember, this is a high boost (20+ psi) and high compression turbo motor. detonation will happen if you put 87 in it and romp on the accelerator (the ecu will pull as much timing as it can but i'm not sure if it could stop the detonation totally with octane that low). it would be 'safe' to run 87, i guess, if you never gave it more than 1/4 throttle or something, and never got into any boost and shifted early. drive it like a grandma and it might be ok. but no way i'd risk hurting my CTR by running anything else than top tier premium gasoline in it.

04sthemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI, 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
I have to agree if $12-$20 a fillup is make or breaking you, then you prob spent to much on the car imo, people forget we were paying the same prices 10yrs ago, an myself making half the money made it then.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I use 91 when I can find it, a few cents less. In my area only Sunoco has it and not all of their stations as it requires pumps with 4 grades available. I think the book says 91 minimum. In theory the ECU should be able to compensate somewhat for lower grade fuel. The big thing is pre-detonation or 'knock', where the fuel is ignited too soon in the compression cycle which can cause damage to the pistons, rods, and bearings. If you try it, I would drive very conservatively, especially avoiding boost, which raises the compression ratio by introducing pre-compressed air into the cylinders.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Give me a break...

Even at $1 more a gallon it's $12 more a full tank. If you are strapped that much for cash then you shouldn't be driving a type R or any car period.
You're so full of it. Gas is at least $2.00 more per gallon. A full tank lasts a week. Figure out the cost per month if you can.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
You're so full of it. Gas is at least $2.00 more per gallon. A full tank lasts a week. Figure out the cost per month if you can.
if you are comparing gas prices from before to now it maybe $2 more per gallon, but the cost difference btwn regular and premium is probably what ... <$0.50? (at least that is what it is here 87 vs 91)

if you fill up full tank with regular instead of premium, your looking at a saving of $6 per tank? If you fill up once a week, thats $24 a month ...

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
He's saying the cost of a gallon is nearly $2 more than it was not that long ago.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
$2.00 difference between 87 and 93 octane? Not around here.
Actually 93 in central florida hardly changed, this morning 87 was $4.05 and 93 was 4.25. I honestly don't care what it costs. I need it, can't change it, so I get 93 and a gallon of e85 and go about my day with a smile.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Car is tuned to use the highest octane gas, but if it senses knock, it will adjust timing for up to 89 octane (US). I'm not sure how quickly it will revert to "assuming" that the gas is high octane again (it may keep it this way for a few seconds/minutes, the entire drive, until the tank is refilled; I'm not sure when it happens though). Obviously the sooner it reverts is the sooner the engine will knock again then the car adjust timing again.

Right now gas is like 50 cents more expensive for premium than regular. With a 12.4 gallon tank, that's no more than $6.20 a tank. In my mind, it's honestly not worth it. If you have Hondata and access to a tuner, you could ask them to create an 89 tune, though it probably might cost you a bit. Say it's 500 bucks, you'd need to go through 80 tanks of gas for that to break even. Alternatively, a more fuel efficient car (if yours is daily driven) would be a better option.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
In my area, there is a 70 cent difference between 87 and 93 at the stations I use.