I can't believe that Canadian Type R's don't have tire pressure monitoring.

Rottboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CType R; ''17 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe; 15 Honda Fit LX Manual; '14 MB G550;
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Resurrecting this old post. Am old school. Am not a fan of TPMS and all the added electronic driver aids on the 2020 CTR. Thankfully, Canadian version has no TMPS and electronic aids can be turned off. Old as they are, it's my eyes I trust.
If I'm driving and can't stay within the lanes, it's time to stop and take a rest.
If I can't see who's in my blindspot, it's time to properly adjust both side view mirrors the "right" way (start coverage to begin at each SIDE of the center Rear view mirror to achieve the widest angle possible).
Distance control for cruise is the only aid that I find useful for that cross country trek.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Resurrecting this old post. Am old school. Am not a fan of TPMS and all the added electronic driver aids on the 2020 CTR. Thankfully, Canadian version has no TMPS and electronic aids can be turned off. Old as they are, it's my eyes I trust.
If I'm driving and can't stay within the lanes, it's time to stop and take a rest.
If I can't see who's in my blindspot, it's time to properly adjust both side view mirrors the "right" way (start coverage to begin at each SIDE of the center Rear view mirror to achieve the widest angle possible).
Distance control for cruise is the only aid that I find useful for that cross country trek.
Regarding blind spots. So we know that each mirror and vantage point has its own set of blind spots. The center mirror can't see the sides of the car (blindspot A), the side mirrors have a range of angles near the physical side of the car (blindspot B), and when you turn your head, you'll have a blindspot due to the large C-pillar of the car (blindspot C). It is possible to have your mirrors set up to cover blindspots A and C while turning your head covers blindspot B. Spatially, you can cover your blind spots, but when you add the dimension of time, it's impossible to cover all three blindspots instantaneously at any given time since you can only look at one of three places at a time. For example, you can be looking in your side mirror and a car be in blindspot B (not visible to the mirror), when you shift your head to see B, the car moves to blindspot C (not visible due to the C pillar). The vehicle is there, but completely blind to you during this sequence. It's extremely rare for this to occur (only has happened 3 times in the 41000 miles I've had the car), but it's something that a blindspot monitoring system can completely remove since it's able to look at both locations at the same time (something a person physically can't do). No matter how good you and your eyes are, you really can't focus at 2-3 places at once that span 170 to >180 degrees.

I see blindspot monitoring systems, as well as forward collision, ABS, and TCS as failsafes rather than a system you should rely on as they offer you features that you wouldn't physically be able to do yourself. The blindspot monitoring system described above, the forward collision being able to see 2 maybe even 3-4 cars ahead of you while traveling straight, ABS controlling individual brakes and pulsing faster than you physically would be able to, and TCS adjusting individual brakes and front-rear/side-side brake bias on the fly. I would also add a rear view camera into this as well as it gets a vantage point that is not possible for a human, at the rear bumper; this makes it much easier to see around walls or large trucks/vans. And most of these only ever need to be kicked in if the drive themselves don't have an adequate view/control over the vehicle. For a perfect driver, these systems should almost never engage. But we aren't perfect drivers.

Heated mirrors are also packaged with this system which I really do miss not having during the winter. Granted it only takes an extra minute to clear them off before I go driving, it's an extra minute I have to spend outside (sometimes in -20 degree weather) that I took for granted (I guess sometimes you don't realize what you have until you lose it).

I'll actually say the same about TPMS systems. The Camry I had before this did have tire pressure gauges in each tire and it was possible to check each pressure individually in the dash so you not only knew if tire(s) were low, but which one(s). Again, immensely useful in -20 degree weather when you have to 1) uncap the first tire, 2) run the gauge, 3) check the gauge, 4) recap the first tire, then repeat steps 1-4 4 times before pumping up the right tire(s). These sorts of features are more of a convenience thing that makes it easier to do tasks that you normally would need to on a vehicle. Instead of spending 5 minutes checking the tire pressures, I could do it in 5 seconds. In stead of spending an extra minute clearing the mirrors, it can be done as I'm defrosting the rear. They aren't needed by any means, but they sure making everything easier and less time consuming.

The combination of adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist is functionally very similar to the autopilot for Teslas. For roads with simple, clear lane markers, the car should essentially be able to drive itself. Though some lane keep assist systems pingpong between the lines (which can be unfortunate).

Rottboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CType R; ''17 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe; 15 Honda Fit LX Manual; '14 MB G550;
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Regarding blind spots. ............., but it's something that a blindspot monitoring system can completely remove ................ No matter how good you and your eyes are, you really can't focus at 2-3 places at once that span 170 to >180 degrees.
I see blindspot monitoring systems, as well as forward collision, ABS, and TCS as failsafes...........
I'll actually say the same about TPMS systems. .......

Points well taken!!! Technology nowadays provide safety nets that will react way faster than us humans.
However, as my post mentioned, I'm old school and the way I look at my incoming CTR, it's a "driver's car". Personally, would rather use my senses to monitor myself so as to feel more with the vehicle rather than leaving up to it's electronics.
With my GK Fit manual, having none of the CTR's advanced monitoring features, it remains a joy to drive. It's like what was normal during my teen years, and that was 5 decades ago!!! Performing the double-clutch is a dying art (at least in NA)!!!
Am looking forward to my CTR'S arrival. In the meantime, I'll envy all you current CTR owners and look forward to learning tons more from this very helpful forum!!!
Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks? I try, but it's occasionally hard to let go of old habits.
Sponsored

Last edited: