I can't believe this is how some Honda dealerships operate.

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
I need to vent...call me a crybaby or whatever you think I am, but this is not right.

May 24th - Driving home on the highway. I accelerated hard at 3K RPM and the check engine light light starts blinking. You can feel the car shudder. Asked my passenger to film it for me. Once I got home, I scanned the car with my scan tool and got P0300 & P0304. Pulled the ignition coil and this is what I find:

Honda Civic 10th gen I can't believe this is how some Honda dealerships operate. Honda_AllSystemDTC_20210524174711

Honda Civic 10th gen I can't believe this is how some Honda dealerships operate. IMG_20210524_175213

Honda Civic 10th gen I can't believe this is how some Honda dealerships operate. IMG_20210524_175220

May 25th: Woke up and called Honda roadside assistance. Asked for a flatbed and an hour later, car is hauled to my local dealership. I purchased this car on May 30th, 2018, so 5 days before the basic warranty expires. Talk about cutting it close.

May 26th: Service advisor calls me and tells me the breather hose is ripped and it needs to be replaced. Part is on a 2 week backorder. He promises to get me a loaner. I asked what about the coil and the spark plug tube. He says the tech needs to replace the breather hose before he can further diagnose. :what::dunno: Not sure how a breather hose can lead to cylinder #4 being rusted out. You can actually see the ripped hose in the photo above.

May 29th: I drive over to the dealership to pick up some personal belongings from the car since it will be a while. Again, I asked about the rusted spark plug tube, no comprehensible response. I also asked about a loaner car, again, he promises he'll get me one.

May 30th to June 14th: I don't hear anything back.

June 14th: This is almost 3 weeks now, I gave a call towards the end of day, around 3PM, and gets transferred to the service advisor's voicemail. So around 8PM, I emailed their service manager about my car and complaining how terrible my service advisor is based on how he doesn't answer my direct questions and never getting a loaner for almost 3 weeks.

June 15th: I receive a reply from the manager first thing in the morning and tells me the breather hose arrived yesterday and "I am having someone pulling it in this morning and we are going to get it done." Again, I ask about what about the rusted out spark plug tube but this is all the reply I get:
" Your car is done, but we are going to test drive it and it bring it back in to check everything over. I still have the vehicle here. I can assure you I am staying involved with this. "

June 16th: Another service advisor calls me and tell me my car is done. Again, I asked about what they did with the rusted out spark plug tube and he tells me, I'm not sure, but I was told to call and tell you your car is ready. They put in a new coil, all the spark plugs and a new battery. At this point I am so disappointed that I just ask what time they close. I couldn't make it over there in time to pick up.

June 17th: The original service advisor calls and tells me my car is ready. I'm thinking to myself, I know, someone called me yesterday. After work, my wife drops me off and I walk in. At this point, I don't even want to talk to the service advisor so I just took my key and left. I did have to talk to him because he didn't hand me a service ticket. He says someone will email me a copy. Arrived home and I take out the ignition coil. I am appalled by what they did. They really did just replace the ignition coil. Look at all the old rust clinging to the "new" ignition coil. Spark plug tube looks about the same as before.

Honda Civic 10th gen I can't believe this is how some Honda dealerships operate. IMG_20210617_181624

June 18th: I drove it to work. Didn't really feel right during acceleration. Plugged in my scanner and I get 2 codes, temporary P0300 & P0304. No check engine line but the same thing happened the first time, temporaty code, then permenant code a week later. I also get a new code: U0416-68 for the Electric Power Steering. Google search brings this up that code might appear if the battery is replaced and acknowledges this is a software bug for the 2017 CR-V. On the bottom, it says " watch for a service bulletin in the coming months" but this is dated all the way back in April 2017:
Honda Civic 10th gen I can't believe this is how some Honda dealerships operate. MC-10098856-5233

I know the service advisor said the tech cleared the codes so after 30+ miles, the temporary code is back:

Honda Civic 10th gen I can't believe this is how some Honda dealerships operate. Honda_AllSystemDTC_20210618111014

I have cleared the misfire and the EPS code for now. I want to see if I can get the temporary P0300 & P0304 code to set again on the drive home tonight.

In the time that I'm writing this, the service manager has emailed me back and said they'll try to locate a loaner and want to bring my car into the shop.

On a side note, there is another issue with this car, oil is leaking out from that black inspection cover. This is a re-occurring problem since its first year oil change. I clean it every year but the oil comes back. Keep in mind this car only averages 4,000 miles/year. The purchasing dealer looked at it back in 2019 and said couldn't find a leak. This dealership also says no leak but did tell me they put trace dye in it. How can both dealers say no oil leak when you see this:

Honda Civic 10th gen I can't believe this is how some Honda dealerships operate. IMG_20190414_155348(1)

Honda Civic 10th gen I can't believe this is how some Honda dealerships operate. IMG_20200415_174656

As a final note, don't ask which dealership this is at. I'm not going to answer that.

I just want my car to be fixed correctly.

Edit...I just remembered what the rest of the 2nd service advisor said to me on June 16th on the phone. I told him that the engine bay is completely stock and I don't wash it. He says yeah, everything checks out but there is no TSB from Honda. I was thinking to myself, "No TSB?!? We, the owners, are the ones reporting the problems so Honda can issue the TSB, you idiot."

Last edited:

B$$

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 HONDA FK8, 2022 TOYOTA COROLLA HB XSE
Country flag
Maybe unrelated, but I had check engine light come on, and I had a rev match error at the same time. Dealer (Chapman Honda Tucson AZ; Brandon Sauber, Richard Soto) determined there was water in spark plug cylinder #2 “due to washing; not under warranty”. There errors showed prior to any vehicle washing. Contacted American Honda; the drone idiot at American Honda backed the dealership. There is an issue here, and it will come to light eventually. I’ll be the first in line line for the class action. Car was puchased pre-owned with 6,425 miles.

Honda Civic 10th gen I can't believe this is how some Honda dealerships operate. ChapmanHonda1218201

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Sorry for your woes. This is absolutely ridiculous. This is clearly a design issue with the seals around the ignition coilpacks. Water getting in from the hood scoop ideally shouldn't happen, but that isn't the main issue.

When I had my S2000, I went to town with the garden hose under the hood (the only thing I covered up was the airbox intake), every time I washed the car, and had no such issues during 17 years of ownership.

Unless we're not supposed to drive in the rain or let the car sit parked in the rain, then Honda needs to address this immediately.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Whoa this is NOT good.....I repeat this is not good, we as a community shouldnt be sitting on this. This is clearly a design flaw of the car, and Honda needs to address it. We paid how much for this car again???

I understand little mishaps here and there but this is not an isolated issue. it's been known that water gets into the scoop and engine on 17 - 19 models I'm not sure of 20-21 year models yet, but we should make a record of this.

Please keep up posted on your fight.

Crazy as hell man

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Oil leaks from the crank also isn't isolated. There are some members here who are having the same issue with oil leaks.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I saw a rusty #4 cyl, but can I get a TL;DR? This has been known to happen on the FK8, at least a couple of cases have been reported.

OP
OP
9000RPM

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
I saw a rusty #4 cyl, but can I get a TL;DR? This has been known to happen on the FK8, at least a couple of cases have been reported.
TLDR:
Misfire on cylinder 4 due to water intrusion causing rusty spark plug tube. Towed to dealer. Waited 3 weeks to get my car back with #4 coil, 4x spark plug replaced, breather hose replaced, and new battery. Made no attempt to investigate why water got into engine compartment.

Spark plug tube is still rusty and "new" ignition coil has left over rust. Temporary P0300 and P0304 is back after 30+ miles

OP
OP
9000RPM

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
Maybe unrelated, but I had check engine light come on, and I had a rev match error at the same time. Dealer (Chapman Honda Tucson AZ; Brandon Sauber, Richard Soto) determined there was water in spark plug cylinder #2 “due to washing; not under warranty”. There errors showed prior to any vehicle washing. Contacted American Honda; the drone idiot at American Honda backed the dealership. There is an issue here, and it will come to light eventually. I’ll be the first in line line for the class action. Car was puchased pre-owned with 6,425 miles.

ChapmanHonda1218201.jpg

Wow, that's a lot worse. One day, there will be a TSB for this. The spark plug tube seals should do its job, seal.

So that was it for you? Did you just end up replacing the coil and plug yourself?

20ls01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RRRRRRR
Country flag
sadly, this is economy car level servicing(customer service and worksmanship)

The way and wages the techs get paid coresponds to the quality of work you get back in return...

I avoid the dealership at all cost...

OP
OP
9000RPM

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
sadly, this is economy car level servicing(customer service and worksmanship)

The way and wages the techs get paid coresponds to the quality of work you get back in return...

I avoid the dealership at all cost...
Well, this is a situation where you can't avoid the dealership.

Honda putting cars together with faulty parts, Honda needs to fix it.