First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Civic Type R, 2006 Toyota Corolla S
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The CTR has a manual transmission. If you do not use the parking break you are at serious risk for the car rolling away when parked on a hill, even if you put the transmission it in reverse (as you should).
Maybe i was just taught differently but even when I drove automatic cars I ALWAYS used the parking brake after I parked the car. In the Type R I engage the brake and once the car is off I throw it into first gear for extra safety.
Is there some kind of rule for this? I usually just put on the parking brake and leave it in neutral, but that's mostly because Columbus is like totally flat. If I'm on a downhill slope should I put it in reverse and for uphill put it in 1st? Does it matter?

Edit: Looked it up in the manual, and it actually says to put it in 1st or R, but that still leaves me with the question of whether it matters at all which one.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
If I have the risk of rolling backwards, I park it in 1st. Risk of going forwards, I put it in Reverse.

Also, do your transmission a favor and leave your clutch in when engaging the parking break, turning off your car, then releasing your foot off the brake. THEN release the clutch so the weight of the vehicle is being controlled by the brakes instead of your engaged transmission.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
If I have the risk of rolling backwards, I park it in 1st. Risk of going forwards, I put it in Reverse.

Also, do your transmission a favor and leave your clutch in when engaging the parking break, turning off your car, then releasing your foot off the brake. THEN release the clutch so the weight of the vehicle is being controlled by the brakes instead of your engaged transmission.
I always shift into neutral, foot on the brake (no other pedals), parking brake up, foot off brake, power off, then if uphill shift into 1, if downhill shift into R.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Is there some kind of rule for this? I usually just put on the parking brake and leave it in neutral, but that's mostly because Columbus is like totally flat. If I'm on a downhill slope should I put it in reverse and for uphill put it in 1st? Does it matter?

Edit: Looked it up in the manual, and it actually says to put it in 1st or R, but that still leaves me with the question of whether it matters at all which one.
It's more of a failsafe if the parking brake fails. If you're parking facing uphill, then you leave it in first (gravity pulls car backward, car geared to go forward) and when facing downhill put it in reverse (gravity pulls car forward, car geared to go backward).

Edit: if it's totally flat, I'll normally just choose 1st if parallel parking. If I'm parked in the parking spot, I'd rather my car be geared to go in the direction isn't moving traffic.

Edit 2: only exception for this is if you have a remote engaged on your vehicle. In that case, you have to leave it in neutral and your directions for shutting the car off is complex (shift into neutral, parking brake up, leave car running, exit the car, close all doors, arm the remote start, doors will lock, car will shut off, if at any point one enters the car without starting it, the remote start disengages).

LongRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Is there some kind of rule for this... I looked it up in the manual, and it actually says to put it in 1st or R, but that still leaves me with the question of whether it matters at all which one.
I always put it in R, because that is the shortest gear, meaning it provides the most resistance to the car being moved by outside forces.

Last edited:

Agent Eagle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R #29683
Country flag
If you open the panel access, in the hatch, on the driver's side, there is a fuel filler funnel, for those additives that don't have a neck...

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is also a rear row hook that will thread into a hole that has a small plastic cover.

If you open the panel access, in the hatch, on the driver's side, there is a fuel filler funnel, for those additives that don't have a neck...

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R, Accord, CRV
Country flag
Not really a “feature” but worth noting….
Many of us have expired 3 year 36,000 warranties on our cars. Even if your Honda (any model) is out of warranty you can call the 1-800 Honda Customer Care and explain your situation and your loyalty to Honda and most of the times they will cover the cost. They covered an $800 bill for my daughters Accord and a $300 bill for my CTR. The service writers at the dealership will not tell you about this, but it really works.
Sponsored