First Name
Khashayar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, White
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Topic 1: It's a dead horse, I know. I have read all there is to know (I think) about Type R tires in summer vs. winter, etc. But how is everyone's experience with driving in plain, old RAIN? Regardless of whether the tire is original factory or all-seasons, 20 inches are skis!!! Any problem with hydroplaning? Before I take the plunge, I'd like to hear about people's experience with good, old-fashioned highway driving in RAIN.

Topic 2 (Sorry, it's the wrong thread, I know): I live in a small town. Average trips <20 minutes, and winters can get cold! Should I worry about that whole oil dilution thing?

I want to get a clearer, real-world idea before I sign on the dotted line. I would appreciate any insight/help/advice.
Sponsored

anhanymous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR, 2009 Accord
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
in plain old rain the car and tires are great. I dont push the car as hard, just as I wouldnt any other car in harsher rain. I haven't had too big an issue with hydroplaning, again I drive it as you should in the rain and am just more cautious. Under hard breaking as well, no issues with the tires sliding either. Overall its does great in the rain. Now in the cold weather on the other hand, the stock tires are not great. below 40 and they become rock hard and bumps in the road are much harsher, which also mean a higher likeliness of the wheels to potentially get bent, which is already a relatively common occurrence with the 30 profile. Traction in the cold is also worse in first and second gears, guaranteed to spin under heavy throttle. Under normal driving however, its fine. If you plan to drive the car year round and in the snow, I would highly recommend putting in a budget to buy a second set of wheels, weather it be a designated winter set or a new set all together. Its well worth the investment, with smaller diameter wheel and higher profile there is a noticeable difference. I'm still cautious around potholes, but even hitting bumps in the road I don't have to cringe and worry if my wheels got bent lol. I personally bought a set of 19" and went with 265/35 tires.

As far as the oil dilution issue, I think that was only for the 1.5T engines not the 2.0T the typeR has.

I personally love the car and plenty of people I know daily the car year round with the stock wheels and tires and don't really have an issue. If you don't have drive in the snow the car should suit you just fine the way it is. I'm sure you could make it in some light snow just fine, but I don't ever risk it. I'm fortunate enough to have a beater to drive around during the harsher weather. The car is a blast to drive and outside of some creature comforts that I wish I had like heated seats/steering wheel I really cant complain.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Topic 1: It's a dead horse, I know. I have read all there is to know (I think) about Type R tires in summer vs. winter, etc. But how is everyone's experience with driving in plain, old RAIN? Regardless of whether the tire is original factory or all-seasons, 20 inches are skis!!! Any problem with hydroplaning? Before I take the plunge, I'd like to hear about people's experience with good, old-fashioned highway driving in RAIN.

Topic 2 (Sorry, it's the wrong thread, I know): I live in a small town. Average trips <20 minutes, and winters can get cold! Should I worry about that whole oil dilution thing?

I want to get a clearer, real-world idea before I sign on the dotted line. I would appreciate any insight/help/advice.
In proper temperatures, the stock tires actually did decent in rain for me. You lose traction, obviously, but they did a decent job. I swapped to the Nitto Neo Gens (all seasons) and they can't handle rain at all which is off setting, but it is what it is. They handle great more optimally 60-70 degree weather though still do fine all the way down to 30 if the road is dry and clear (though salt seemed to make them a little worse). Granted there may be more tires that do better, and some coming out in the future that will provide better rain traction.

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Summer tire compounds are actually better in the rain than all-seasons, so the stock tires should be fine.

OP
OP
KhashTR19

KhashTR19

Manual Mania
First Name
Khashayar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, White
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Summer tire compounds are actually better in the rain than all-seasons, so the stock tires should be fine.
Thank you. I didn't know this. I appreciate the information.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Javier was on stock tires on the day when it needed the wet performance....so I'd say they work fine in a lot of water, and it was VERY wet...

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Tires (tired yet?) & more upload_2019-1-28_10-26-39
Sponsored