Civic Type R at the track, goods and bads! Let's share our experience.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
The low temp thermostat is unlikely to give a significant improvement. Once you reach the threshold temperature and your stock or Spoon thermostat is fully open, then it’s all up to the cooling system to dissipate the heat. Either thermostat will be equal in sending the coolant to the radiator. Even if the Spoon opens sooner, after 20 seconds of full throttle the stock one will be open too and after that they are equal.

Assuming you have plenty of radiator cooling capacity that can actually hold the temps down to where the Spoon makes a difference (and generally none of us do), the only reason I can think of to have a lower operating temperature is you can delay preignition and thus run slightly more spark advance, and maybe run leaner (which means it runs hotter) for more power.
Agreed, makes sense. That JDM markup at ~$130 is also just insane lol.

Advertisement

teemmy

Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Country flag
Has anyone deleted the fogs to make any custom ducting to a cooler or to the radiator? Just curious if it's even an option. Looks like the TCR CTR just uses it for ducting

ca86108

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Car(s)
A whole bunch
Country flag
I love this thread, a lot of great info. I am only on page 3, so I have more reading to do but.......

I understand the tires the car comes with for the track are trash. I just bought my car yesterday and it came with almost brand new 245/35/20 Michelin Pilot Supersports. Can I run these on a few track days or will they chunk and tear, etc. Are they no better than the tires the car comes with? How many track days will they last or should I go 18s right away? I don't want to waste an almost new tire. *on a side note, I did thrash my MPSS on my m3 in one track day as the shoulder completed melted off. I am an intermediate driver with about 7 track days of experience.

CTRismybeater

Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 E90 M3 & 2019 FK8 CTR
Country flag
I love this thread, a lot of great info. I am only on page 3, so I have more reading to do but.......

I understand the tires the car comes with for the track are trash. I just bought my car yesterday and it came with almost brand new 245/35/20 Michelin Pilot Supersports. Can I run these on a few track days or will they chunk and tear, etc. Are they no better than the tires the car comes with? How many track days will they last or should I go 18s right away? I don't want to waste an almost new tire. *on a side note, I did thrash my MPSS on my m3 in one track day as the shoulder completed melted off. I am an intermediate driver with about 7 track days of experience.
The tires actually aren’t that bad. I’ve got two days on mine and they look like I’ll get 2 or three more. Just keep the pressure up and don’t over drive out of turns like someone who has no sense of feeling what the car is telling you. You won’t gain any grip from PSS’s of PS4S vs the Contis, but I’d that’s the priority go for SC2’s.

ca86108

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Car(s)
A whole bunch
Country flag
The tires actually aren’t that bad. I’ve got two days on mine and they look like I’ll get 2 or three more. Just keep the pressure up and don’t over drive out of turns like someone who has no sense of feeling what the car is telling you. You won’t gain any grip from PSS’s of PS4S vs the Contis, but I’d that’s the priority go for SC2’s.

Curious as to why you recommend keeping up high tire pressures? I saw this for this contis in a thread. Usually, when I track MPSS, I go 35 hot MAX. Is it different with this platform and this wheel? only tracked MPSS with a rwd bmw m3.

CTRismybeater

Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
Curious as to why you recommend keeping up high tire pressures? I saw this for this contis in a thread. Usually, when I track MPSS, I go 35 hot MAX. Is it different with this platform and this wheel? only tracked MPSS with a rwd bmw m3.
The Contis do like to roll over as is often discussed here, but the higher pressures mitigate this assuming one doesn’t try to drive out of a turn with the front wheels off angle. I’m getting very even wear doing this and grip is great for this category of tire. In my M, yes ideal pressure in Mich’s is considerably lower.

ca86108

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Car(s)
A whole bunch
Country flag
Has anyone tried running Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on the track? I just got my car and it came with a brand new set of 4s tires in 245/30/20. Can these last a track day or two or will the shoulder get chunking and deteriorate on the track? I would hate to waste these tires. I was thinking of doing 1 track day at Laguna before dropping a ton of money on an 18" wheel and tire combo.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Has anyone tried running Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on the track? I just got my car and it came with a brand new set of 4s tires in 245/30/20. Can these last a track day or two or will the shoulder get chunking and deteriorate on the track? I would hate to waste these tires. I was thinking of doing 1 track day at Laguna before dropping a ton of money on an 18" wheel and tire combo.
You can track MP4S. I did 7 days on mine. Don’t expect them to give you fast times or last throughout the entire session though. They get greasy after 2-3 laps.

ca86108

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Car(s)
A whole bunch
Country flag
You can track MP4S. I did 7 days on mine. Don’t expect them to give you fast times or last throughout the entire session though. They get greasy after 2-3 laps.
\

I am just worried about the outside shoulder tearing. I just did two canyon runs and I already see a little wear on the outside shoulder lol. Did you track these tires in this exact size? 245/30/20? Are the outside shoulders more durable than that of the Conti?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
\

I am just worried about the outside shoulder tearing. I just did two canyon runs and I already see a little wear on the outside shoulder lol. Did you track these tires in this exact size? 245/30/20? Are the outside shoulders more durable than that of the Conti?
No I had the same problem even in a 265/35/18. You can probably get a way with one track day if you don’t over drive the tire

metal_driver

Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Has anyone deleted the fogs to make any custom ducting to a cooler or to the radiator? Just curious if it's even an option. Looks like the TCR CTR just uses it for ducting
Not yet, but once I get my front bumper back onI plan on running it on track days with both fog lights removed to improve the airflow to the driver side USR oil cooler (alone with some cut diamonds in the fake fog light grill), and to the custom mounted Mishi oil cooler on the passenger side. No ducting though other than the one supplied with the USR cooler.
I don't expect much of an improvement but it looks like it should be easy enough to pop out both fog light grill/garnish pieces and unplug and unscrew and remove the fog lights before and after each session at the track. Turns out each fog light is held into the black fog light garnish with 2 screws.
I'll post up more details once I get my car back together and get it to the track around mid July.

CTRismybeater

Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
Quick question as I haven’t seen the answer searching. Is anyone else experiencing low or no oil consumption even on the track? I’m not detecting any either with 0w20 or 5w40 and I keep the temp gauge pegged to just under the top of its range. Measuring with the dip stick and oil drain volume. Thank you.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Quick question as I haven’t seen the answer searching. Is anyone else experiencing low or no oil consumption even on the track? I’m not detecting any either with 0w20 or 5w40 and I keep the temp gauge pegged to just under the top of its range. Measuring with the dip stick and oil drain volume. Thank you.
My car doesn’t consume oil at all. I use Motul 300v

LURK-R

Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
What's everyone using for topping off on fuel? The hoses on my jugs are too girthy. I'm hoping for economical options like replacement tops, hoses, etc. for my standard VP jugs.

Advertisement

Advertisement