Why did Honda put such a tiny intercooler in the Type R?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
T
Again, what I'm looking for is a stock vs stock w/ aftermarket IC...no tune, no downpipe, nothing else on the car except aftermarket intercooler. It's an unpopular opinion but I surmise the results would show practically no change at all in performance.
I do agree with you ..... but maybe for 1 cold pull.
once you start doing back to back to back pulls, the stock intercooler is just not adequate enough.
Sponsored

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
I do agree with you ..... but maybe for 1 cold pull.
once you start doing back to back to back pulls, the stock intercooler is just not adequate enough.
I doubt a single production car is built for back to back pulls, besides maybe some select supercars. Some will definitely be better than others at it, but not a single one will have been engineered with this as something that needs to be accomplished.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I doubt a single production car is built for back to back pulls, besides maybe some select supercars. Some will definitely be better than others at it, but not a single one will have been engineered with this as something that needs to be accomplished.
yeah i agree with you. I doubt they are thinking about that either.

I was just simply responding to him saying that it'd show no change in performance by simply replacing the intercooler. The intercoolers main job isn't to make more power but to make the power more consistent.

OP
OP
Amazon

Amazon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS
Country flag
The intercoolers main job isn't to make more power but to make the power more consistent.
Inconsistent power delivery due to insufficient cooling are borderline infuriating to me, it was the single biggest gripe I had about my Mazdaspeeds and why I went to all the trouble to replace the top mounts with front mounts. Owners concerned about increased spool time shouldn't be, in my experience aftermarket coolers have more efficient airflow characteristics than OEM, so spool time isn't really affected, just check out the graph.

Honda Civic 10th gen Why did Honda put such a tiny intercooler in the Type R? dyno_2__59634.1558803389

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
we tracked a 2013 m5 that had water to air intercoolers, wasnt a problem even for track events. is that a supercar?

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
we tracked a 2013 m5 that had water to air intercoolers, wasnt a problem even for track events. is that a supercar?
I think track is a little different than 'back to back pulls'.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I think track is a little different than 'back to back pulls'.
I agree.. real airflow vs a 3000cfm fan is a big part of it.

vir back stretch is like a mile long, thats a few back to back pulls .. lol

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Theres a video of a Porsche 911 Turbo S doing 50 back to back launch controls, always the same 0-60 time. Not a supercar

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Theres a video of a Porsche 911 Turbo S doing 50 back to back launch controls, always the same 0-60 time. Not a supercar

In what world is a 911 turbo S not a supercar??

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
In what world is a 911 turbo S not a supercar??
I was thinking the same thing - that car in that video had the ceramic brakes or something as well which is like a 10k option on the Porsche. So just likea Kia Soul really just with a bit more power and less seating. 404 error - no supercar found here <wink>

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was thinking the same thing - that car in that video had the ceramic brakes or something as well which is like a 10k option on the Porsche. So just likea Kia Soul really just with a bit more power and less seating. 404 error - no supercar found here <wink>
This is how I look at it. The NSX, a car widely accepted as a supercar and has pretty similar performance to the 911 turbo and turbo S variants. If you were to even do so little and just compare them by price and stats, the 911 turbo S is higher in both.

It would be comical to meet someone that actually believes a 911 turbo and turbo S are not supercars.

BuT tHeY dOnT lOoK lIkE sUpErCaRs /scoffs

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Supercar is subjective
So is racecar, sportscar, pony car, muscle car, hypercar and so on.

When I hear the term Supercar I think Ford GT, Porsche GT2 RS, Ferrari F8, Mclaren 720 ect
I'd like to know what defines a supercar to you. I'm going to assume you exclude the Viper ACR and Z06 from supercar status if you'd so easily discount a 911 Turbo S.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
My camaro zl1 had zero issues being supercharged running an air to water intercooler. I could easily do 5-6 pulls with no significant power loss. Only on a dyno would there be an issue. It was also 700hp and it made almost 15 psi which is a lot for a v8. My wife’s mercedes c300 can do 4-5 pulls without significant power loss. It’s a serious problem with type r. It’s not just from lack of cooling it’s also how the tune is made. I can have up to 150 iat without a lot of power loss now but i have intercooler custom tune and radiator. I didn’t have to change either in my zl1 to upgrade from 580 to 700hp. Most air to water intercoolers are far more consistent. It’s air to air that is inconsistent. The theory that no car is built for back to back pulls is subjective based upon expectations of the car. Too many people think the max output is a must hit not what the car is designed to make. There are some underrated and some overrated engines. Keep in mind the type r broke the fwd record around Nürburgring with that tiny intercoooer. It’s designed to be in constant motion not drag racing.
Sponsored