First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R GT 2019
Country flag
Hello all,

Is there any way we can go about upgrading the adaptive dampers on the pre-facelift FK8?

I understand the facelift version has improved dampers but is there a way we could bring this back or maybe an aftermarket solution?

My goal is to have comfort mode more comfortable and +R mode even less so.

Many thanks
Sponsored

E404

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' SGP FK8
Country flag
Could look into the part number for the 20+ dampers or consider getting RS-R active coilovers.

OP
OP
UniiqueTwiisT

UniiqueTwiisT

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Could look into the part number for the 20+ dampers or consider getting RS-R active coilovers.
Ah I see thank you, I heard the facelift model calculates the ride quality 10 times faster or something. Is that down to different dampers or something else?

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
Why would it be $5k and what did you base your numbers on because the shocks are the same and the difference is a $350 control module that’s plug and play???

OP
OP
UniiqueTwiisT

UniiqueTwiisT

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why would it be $5k and what did you base your numbers on because the shocks are the same and the difference is a $350 control module that’s plug and play???
Is the control module the part that makes the 10x calculations improvement? And also do you have a link to this?

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
Is the control module the part that makes the 10x calculations improvement? And also do you have a link to this?
It’s the ADS unit that controls the active suspension and should plug in.

2017 - 2019 PN: 39381-TGH-A01
2020 - 2021 non-LE PN: 39381-TGH-A11

I believe you’d be the first to execute this swap so report back.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Why would it be $5k and what did you base your numbers on because the shocks are the same and the difference is a $350 control module that’s plug and play??
You're way ahead of me - $5k was for 4 new shocks and 4 stroke sensors, IF NEEDED, and ADS brain to do the work - almost $4k in parts plus install. After checking it appears shocks are the same but didn't bother to check to see if the 2 rear acceleration sensors, PCM, VSAM-CU, GCM, EPSCM, and SRSU play nice between model years - they all talk to the ADCU

Last edited:
OP
OP
UniiqueTwiisT

UniiqueTwiisT

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You;re way ahead of me - $5k was for 4 new shocks and 4 stroke sensors, IF NEEDED, and ADS brain to do the work - almost $4k in parts plus install. After checking it appears shocks are the same but didn't bother to check to see if the 2 rear acceleration sensors, PCM, VSAM-CU, GCM, EPSCM, and SRSU play nice between model years - they all talk to the ADCU
A guy from one of the Facebook groups claims to have installed just the facelift ADS module with success so I might give it a go in the future.

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag

OP
OP
UniiqueTwiisT

UniiqueTwiisT

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interesting that the part number for the ADS says "rewritable" for both the old and new unit...wonder if a software upgrade could just be applied to the 2017-19 unit?!

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~ads~unit~rewritable~39381-tgh-a01.html

honda-ads-unit-rewritable-39381tgha11
I noticed that also, I always assumed the ADS module would work as fast as it reasonably could, similar to other computer devices. So I thought the newer module was simpler capable of handling those faster speeds whilst also having the software to compute but I don't know ?‍♂ I think it will probably be a lot easier to just swap them over.

Vitamin_R

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2005 C230K
Country flag
Yes, I've seen a few kits. The cheapest option is to put a standard upgraded damper on and buy a used 2005 Cadillac for the days you want comfort.

The cheapest I've see that the car can adjust via mode switch was $6500

Definitely a bummer. I would very much like to have variable dampers on the mode switch but not at that price.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
A guy from one of the Facebook groups claims to have installed just the facelift ADS module with success so I might give it a go in the future.
Do you happen to have the link to that post? I was inquiring about this mod awhile back on this forum, except from 21 base CTR --> LE. I was told swapping the ADS wouldn't work. And there was another post where an owner of both a base CTR and an LE said he would swap the ADS and report back, but never did.
Sponsored