nYdGeo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Was recently watching a video that I can no longer seem to find and in the video, the Type R owner was having lowering springs installed by a Honda dealership service center. During the video, one of the shop mechanics said something I'd never heard prior to this. He said that once we get the springs installed, make sure they recalibrate the stock dampers so that the new (lower) ride height is the new 'zero'. "You don't wanna be driving around with your suspension thinking its already compressed 3/4". It'll ride unnecessarily stiff and won't handle as well 'cause it's operating on incorrect information."

Anyone ever heard of this and/or know how to do it?
Sponsored

Hell167

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I saw that video too. I tried to look for it in the scanner when i was doing rear brake pads but couldn't find anything regarding dampener calibration. Maybe it's got to be a specific scanner. Any info would be great on this topic.

MeetThePete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R, 2005 S2000, 1985 Corolla GTS
Country flag

Not sure if this is the video you guys are referencing. Granted it's an NSX they're lowering but he mentions using an "Autel Maxi System." Can't provide any personal input since I'm at stock height but hopefully this could help someone figure it out.

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
There is a diagnostic system for the suspension buried somewhere in the headunit diag menus which will give you the suspension height sensor readout; They are speaking the truth as there is a stroke sensor at each wheel used to feedback to the adaptive damper controller (As well as other systems, such as the auto levelling headlights)

I have in the past watched the values on the diag whilst loading the boot / sitting in different seats and you can see the distribution of weight moving around.

Honda Civic 10th gen Re-calibrating the stock dampers to 'zero' at new ride height 1623234021865

Now, That being said, I haven't seen / can't remember an option for re-zeroing the stroke sensors (Either in the aforementioned diagnostic menu or when using an Autel Ap200)

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR R-35355/ 2021 SGP Accord Touring
Country flag
Im wondering if the Accord uses something similar? The Touring suspension on the Accord is a joke. The front struts act like theyre made out of rubber. Whenever you hit a bridge gap at speed, the front bounces past level, at least 2-3 times before settling back to norm. Im literally about to scrap the Accord ADS, and just get manual coilovers.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I saw that video also and was wondering too. I think you would lose the "Comfort" mode since the dampening in different now.

OP
OP
nYdGeo

nYdGeo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I saw that video also and was wondering too. I think you would lose the "Comfort" mode since the dampening in different now.
Comfort appears to be still working at this time, though with the new springs it can get a bit bouncy over larger road irregularities. If this adjustment exists as shown in the video, it may work better or worse afterward. Only time will tell.

I hope that Honda catches up to some of the other current technology being offered out there right now. With the only modal option being auto-throttle blip on or off, it's far behind the offerings of things such as the Veloster N with regards to ability to customize one's driving experience. Again, due to the modestly heavier spring rates, I'd love to dial in a hair more rebound in comfort mode. Things that aren't that big a deal, but would be nice.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just to add, I guest when you lower the car you don't really care that much for comfort, you're in it for handling. Like I always said you can't have both a track car and a daily driver. You'll tend to give some things up.

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
In for the tech info on this. I drove a lowered car and it was miserable in Sport mode. In R Mode it was better because it stopped the bouncing. I'll have to go back and ask the owner if he had zeroed out the

OP
OP
nYdGeo

nYdGeo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just to add, I guest when you lower the car you don't really care that much for comfort, you're in it for handling. Like I always said you can't have both a track car and a daily driver. You'll tend to give some things up.
Absolutely. That was one reason behind my choice of the K-tuned springs. They're similar to the Spoon springs, but a little lighter variable rates. They are an excellent daily driver compromise and at half the price, it was a no brainer.

I'm actually quite happy with the comfort/handling they provide. I always drive in Sport or R+ depending on the environment, unless my wife is in the car...she prefers the Comfort mode for the long hauls. We've made multiple trips from S. LA to the Deal's Gap area (SC-TN border area) to run The Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, etc. We average around 2K-2.5K miles per trip and have never been the least bit uncomfortable. Other than fuel economy, the FK8 is an excellent road trip vehicle and it's mileage is still way better then my friend's Vettes, Evos, STIs and S3/RS3s. Better still, most of them cannot keep up.

One thing that oddly seems to have also made the car more comfortable is the rigid collar set. Until you've had them long enough for them to become the norm, you feel them every time you're driving. As solid as the FK8 is already, the rigid collars just lock things in that little bit more. My guess is that with the entire structure of the car being that little bit more rigid, it forces and/or enables the suspension to do it's job that same little bit better. I did them when I did the rear camber arms and I was rather stunned at how I could immediately feel a difference, especially in any cornering situation, even Interstate on-ramps (if you drive like I do). They are a tremendous hassle to install yourself unless you have a lift, but I highly recommend them. (Sorry for the divergence.)

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Rigid Collars are my next project. I might look into the K springs later on. I do want to run the Dragon later on too when I do a road trip.

OP
OP
nYdGeo

nYdGeo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Rigid Collars are my next project. I might look into the K springs later on. I do want to run the Dragon later on too when I do a road trip.
In spite of the collar set being a more subtle thing than the springs, I believe that they will have as big an impact on the handling of your car as the springs. And...

I cannot tell you how much you will enjoy that road trip! The Dragon is one mind blowing experience, especially if you go during the week when there is far less traffic and no cops. It's so tight that you rarely get over 50-mph. You can keep up with superbikes, too. They'll kill you in every one of those almost nonexistent, miniature straights, but you can out corner them big time.

Also, that entire area is amazing. You can find maps of all the killer mountain roads there are to experience, with the Cherohala Skyway over the mountain perhaps being the most spectacular. I truly hope that you make that journey soon.

OP
OP
nYdGeo

nYdGeo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In for the tech info on this. I drove a lowered car and it was miserable in Sport mode. In R Mode it was better because it stopped the bouncing. I'll have to go back and ask the owner if he had zeroed out the
I have experienced that as well. A friend's son put actual track-only springs on his FK8 and exactly as you described, it was useless in anything but R+. They completely over-powered any other mode and could use still more dampening than R+ offers to be optimal on the track. He finally followed in his Dad's footsteps and replaced them with the K-tuned springs that his Dad and I have. Much more usable for a daily driver, still a nice improvement in handling over stock and all modes work.
Sponsored