I cannot verify this legit but here you go:

Sponsored

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
That's over 180 MPH which is quite a bit over claimed top speed. Could be a downhill run? On one of my vehicles a 2% grade makes a 6 MPH difference depending on which direction you are going.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I don't think the LE has any power or aero improvements over the lesser model, only a slight weight reduction which shouldn't really affect top speed. Probably going downhill and/or some tailwind.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I don't think the LE has any power or aero improvements over the lesser model, only a slight weight reduction which shouldn't really affect top speed. Probably going downhill and/or some tailwind.
Lighter wheels might affect power output to the wheels*, but not enough to make 10MPH. That said, that Type R might also be in Europe as well, so it does put out a little more power. Again, not enough to make up for the 10 MPH. Keep in mind that the Type R is aero limited. So a tailwind can also help it out as well as any sort of inclines.

*Reduction in rotational mass means less parasitic power loss at the wheels. Less loss means more power at the wheels comparatively. I know there was a thread on a Camaro forum where a person was able to get 1 HP per pound across the entire rev range. It might be higher for an FF car since there is no driveshaft that spans half the length of the car; at the same time, a V8 Camaro puts out a bit more power than the Type R though (so it might also be lower). That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if the lighter wheels got it 5-10HP at the wheels.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Isn't the 169MPH number we all know just the top speed at the end of the straight at the Ring, not the flat out forever top speed?

Ben934

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR, A6, ST
Country flag
He Drive for Francoise Magazin and he do this with man's Others Cars. Megane RS Trophy R and in the Last with an Tycan very fast. Die one hot lap, than the Car goes in Slowly Mode dir the hot batteries ???

And he slides very Nixe with eine frintwheel Cars ;)

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Isn't the 169MPH number we all know just the top speed at the end of the straight at the Ring, not the flat out forever top speed?
No, Honda claims the top speed of 169 is limited by drag.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
If that video is real, they must have slightly modified gear ratios for the LE, since 6th gear redline speed is currently 286km/h and it's not quite at redline in that video.

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't understand why it would be fake?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
If that video is real, they must have slightly modified gear ratios for the LE, since 6th gear redline speed is currently 286km/h and it's not quite at redline in that video.
That’s a really good catch. I’m curious now too... Unless it’s a speedo error?

That’s a good question... I’d like to believe it isn’t, but who knows.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
It's probably real.

Speedo error of 2% would put 286 around 291 km/hr
Isn't speedo calculated from the transmission speed? If there's a speedo error from wheel/tire size etc, it still shouldn't show more than 286 km/hr at or before redline; unless they've modified the gear ratios. Maybe I'm missing something?

I would think there should be much less than 2% error in the speed sensor itself. I'm not in the auto industry, so I could be making a bad assumption there.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I guess it's possible he has a tune...
I think 180 MPH is attainable with 375whp or so.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Assuming it’s on level ground, I think it’s speedo error, which is very common on all makes of cars. 2% sounds well within reason for normal street driving.

Regarding power loss from weight, I don’t think that will make a difference in top speed. The power loss that people measure is due to the difference in measured acceleration on a dyno and that certainly reflects in how the car accelerates. However, at top speed, you are no longer accelerating. Instead, you are in a static situation where the torque at the wheels is balanced against friction. At that point, the weight of the wheels doesn’t matter. Heavy or light, they’ve already accelerated to speed and are no longer influencing things.
Sponsored

Last edited: