The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Haven't sold this car yet but did pick up a different daily so this hasn't seen that much use in the past few years.

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring

Total tuned time: 5+ years on Ktuner. Nearly 4 years I think at this point on a custom tune from Drob.

Total tuned mileage: 70,000+ miles (mileage really hasn't changed. I drive the car maybe once every few weeks just to make sure fluids circulate, battery is good, tires don't get flat, etc...)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner Dual 21 PSI, Custom Tune (x2) (93 pump and E85)

Fuel used: Shell 93, Exxon 93 (Flex Fuel E85 from Shell). Have been trying out some Royal Farms and Sheetz E85 for the past year or so.

Additional engine mods: Full Bolt Ons, 27WON W1 Turbo, TIP

Problems/issues: No issues in the past 2 years since my last update. Car still runs like a charm.
Sponsored

fc1.matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Please use the format below when adding your car to the thread (my car used as an example):

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si sedan

Total tuned time: Less than 1 year

Tuned miles driven: ~30,000-40,000

Tuning device(s) used:
I started with a Hondata Flashpro and currently use a KTuner V1.2. I found the Flashpro to be far too difficult.

Tunes used: I started with the base maps but eventually got the Phearable 2.5 Race tune before it threw a rod.

Fuel used: 93 and e85

Additional related mods:
PRL CAI
RACE MAF
Ktuner/? Flex Fuel Kit
Ktuner V1.2
Cheap chinese “high-flow” catalytic converter and downpipe (installed post engine replacement)

Problems/issues:
Was told that my crank seals were leaking oil, had them replaced then the engine threw a rod.

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time, I hit it anytime I want to hear that pshh.

Tune experience notes: Overall I hate this car but it did last until 91,000 tuned until the rod bolt came loose and shot through the block. New engine will definitely get more conservative tune.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Please use the format below when adding your car to the thread (my car used as an example):

Additional related mods: PRL silicone intake hose, aFe Pro Dry S filter, Ruthenium HX plugs
You really needed to edit your related mod list, not use mine. Lol

Edit: I found it elsewhere. (PRL Cobra (race) intake and flex fuel kit). I also see you ran a BOV. How long did you run that disaster for?

Last edited:

fc1.matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You really needed to edit your related mod list, not use mine. Lol

Edit: I found it elsewhere. (PRL Cobra (race) intake and flex fuel kit). I also see you ran a BOV. How long did you run that disaster for?
shoot apparently I looked right past that😭 updating now

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is definitely a concerning pattern. For a long time, Si's did quite well in the reliability area, all things considered. But, 7 of the last 10 major failed cars have been Si's. It wasn't long ago the tune Si major failure rate was around 2.7%. Now it's a little over 4.2%.

This is why it's so important to keep this thread going with your new update posts. Right now it looks like Si's are trending downward for long term tuning reliability. But this could just be a bump in the road hopefully.

TheDeliSauce

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This is definitely a concerning pattern. For a long time, Si's did quite well in the reliability area, all things considered. But, 7 of the last 10 major failed cars have been Si's. It wasn't long ago the tune Si major failure rate was around 2.7%. Now it's a little over 4.2%.

This is why it's so important to keep this thread going with your new update posts. Right now it looks like Si's are trending downward for long term tuning reliability. But this could just be a bump in the road hopefully.
I'm *still* fighting bearing degradation issues, by the way. This time upper main bearings.

This makes a spun rod bearing, spun/thrown thrust bearing, & worn main bearings. All related to oil / oil system issues that thankfully only I've really encountered so far. 65K miles.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Having a Non-Si 1.5T, I was always jealous seeing Si's at 2.3-2.5% failures for a long time a while back. The Non-Si failure rate was so much higher. But once I realized the hatchback rod issue was skewing the numbers, I was relieved on a personal level that the sedan/coupe failure rate was nearly as low as the Si models.

Now, we're seeing Si's failing at a noticeably higher rate than the Non-Si sedans and coupes with the failures climbing. I think it just boils down to the simple fact that more Si's are setup to push more power. And it's not just engine failures, manual transmissions have been failing more and more to the point that they've caught up to CVTs.

BroIDriveAnSi

First Name
Sothea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017, wrx sedan 2013
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si sedan

Total tuned time: 1 month

Tuned miles driven: 2000

Tuning device(s) used:
ktuner V2

Tunes used: Started with TSP stg 1 and quickly moved to phearable 1.5.

Fuel used: 93

Additional related mods:
PRL short ram w/race maf
MAPerformance catted DP
PRL Front pipe
PRL intercooler + chrg pipes
Remark exhaust
Stock clutch (looking to get the retrofit stg 0 at some point)

Problems/issues:
None so far

Driving style: Conservative with the occasional highway on ramp pull. Usually stay out of boost.

Tune experience notes:
TSP was a nice upgrade over stock, and phearable was a nice upgrade over TSP. I have a flex fuel kit and a big turbo kit as well. Probably not going to slap those on since this is supposed to be just my fun daily. I have a ‘13 wrx for balls to the wall driving. I commute a lot so my si has around 200k miles. Still runs strong, hopefully it stays that way.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car. I agree on the tunes. I mean the TSP1 is excellent but Vega's tunes are near perfection.

Since you drive so much I hope you can do some update posts from time to time.

BroIDriveAnSi

First Name
Sothea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017, wrx sedan 2013
Country flag
Thanks for adding your car. I agree on the tunes. I mean the TSP1 is excellent but Vega's tunes are near perfection.

Since you drive so much I hope you can do some update posts from time to time.
absolutely. The driveability and perfomance difference is worth the difference in cost. Couldn’t drive smooth with TSP no matter what I did and the PHEARABLE feels nice and linear.

also yes I plan to update this from time to time. It’ll give other high mileage owners peace of mind if they decide to mod lol.
I bought my si with like 140k miles, and put 60k in the past year and a half. I commute a ton, and the previous owner also commuted a lot to rack up those miles. Highway driving thankfully.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We need to nickname John Vega "Mr. Smooth".

When you do updates, don't go back and edit your original post because the info will get lost in the shuffle. Instead, just do a new post with the additional tuned miles.

WaWa

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Sport 2.0L

Total tuned time: 8 Months

Tuned miles driven: 15,000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Ktuner V2 Base Map Tune, waiting on phearable stage 2 tune.

Fuel used: 93 Octane (Racetrack & QT)

Additional related mods: AEM Cold Air Intake, RV6 Catted DP, Custom 3” Exhaust, Ktuned Coilovers, Sirimoto Front Strut Bar, additional cosmetic mods aswell.

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Very fast, with an occasional cruise at speed limit. Weaving around traffic is a hobby.

Tune experience notes: Ktuner’s base map tune is what I have had and it’s been fun. Just bought the new Phearable Stage 2 Tune.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car. When you get the new Phearable tune can you post an update? Looks like it will be a nice upgrade.

WaWa

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Thanks for adding your car. When you get the new Phearable tune can you post an update? Looks like it will be a nice upgrade.
Yeah for sure, I’m super excited for it and I know the 2.slow community had been waiting for something like this for years. Depending on if someone beats me to it, I plan on doing 0-60 times comparing factory tune, ktuner base map, and phearable’s tune.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great to hear @WaWa. I have a turbo model and have run both available Phearable tunes. John Vega's tunes are a cut above and super smooth. I expect no less from his new tune for your car. Really looking forward to your impressions.

One quick question for the thread stats. Are you CVT or manual?
Sponsored