The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

derek_727

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 3 Weeks

Tuned miles driven: 1,000

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner Dual Starter 19/21 and stock/19, TSP Stage 1 (Current)

Fuel used: Any 93 I can find. Mostly Shell.

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI Big Bore

Problems/issues: Had a weird occurrence this morning from 3rd to 2nd gear that I cannot accurately explain. But the rest of the drive was fine.

Driving style: Fairly aggressive overall. Usually pretty quick. No launches, no brake boosting, no heavy abuse.

Tune experience notes: Like everyone says, the car's factory tune is GARBAGE. The ktuner base maps are pretty good. But OTS tunes are the move. Since switching to TSP I have noticed a phenomenal increase in smiles-per-gallon. Even on Map 1 (stock boost), the car feels completely different from stock. Map 1 is slower than the higher boost starter maps from Ktuner, but the base maps just do not feel as clean as the TSP tune. Essentially, tuning is great, and OTS tunes are also just great. And pairing with a CAI which gives you those sweet turbo noises makes it even better!

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_5049.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_5288.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_5319.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_E5311.JPG

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
@derek_727 Thanks for adding your car.

Tune experience notes: Like everyone says, the car's factory tune is GARBAGE.
Agreed.

Factory "tune" = it's ok at best.

Base tunes = punchy down low but lacking a bit of refinement. Fizzles up top.

OTS tunes from TSP and Phearable = better top end, more linear, smoother. What the factory tune should have been.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a heads up to our 2.0 NA owners. Phearable just released a brand new tune that's a nice bump (+12 hp) from the available base map. I can vouch for how amazing John Vega's tunes are.

If anyone upgrades to the new Phearable tune, add an update post here. Thanks.

Last edited:

RootskiSI

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
@RootskiSI Thanks for being part of this thread. Smart move on the head studs. Are you still on the stock clutch?
oh shoot forgot to add clutch! Im on a Competition Clutch Stage 2 with the lightweight flywheel. I’ve had it for about 46k miles lol and still great.

RootskiSI

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I get a lot of "why should I bother adding my car to your tuning experience & reliability thread?", or "what's in it for me" reactions when I mention this thread.

I think (beyond the laziness factor) people don't understand what this thread is even about. They see people adding their cars and filling out the survey format. And that's all they see. But if they were to thoroughly read this thread's first post and stats maybe it would make more sense to them.

I was one of those people worried about f-ing up my car if I tuned. But I researched and researched. Read every thread here on tuning and decided to take a leap to tuning way back in 2018.

And then I thought there had to be hundreds of people like me. People who loved the idea of tuning but were afraid it would mess up their car or their warranty. Tuning topics were all over the place at the forum. In general discussions, the tuning area, the Hondata forum, the KTuner forum, the FK8 forums, on and on ...

The idea of having a single resource in one place to talk about tuning experiences, ask tuning questions and of course chart long term tuning reliability seemed like a great idea. And so I started this thread.

Look at the first post here and all the general stats, tuning information, installed mods info and failure information. None of this would be possible without people adding their tuned cars to this thread. Sure I'm the guy that started the thread and the captain of the ship so to speak.

You guys are the real stars of the show. And sure, your individual post from a year ago may get lost in the shuffle at a point, but, the info I tally from your posts is permanently part of the first post stats. It's those stats and info that help the community.

So if you're thinking "why bother adding my car, there are 1300 tuned cars there already". Or " there's no need to add an update post, I already added my car"... think again.

Every car added and every new update post helps us learn more about tuning and makes a difference.
This! I wish I found this sooner. I found this after going full bolt on to see the stats for those running flex fuel on an upgraded turbo, fbo, etc to see what issues people have or have not run into. It’s great

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This! I wish I found this sooner. I found this after going full bolt on to see the stats for those running flex fuel on an upgraded turbo, fbo, etc to see what issues people have or have not run into. It’s great
I wish this thread was more visible. I asked the admin a long time ago for front page links to the most/popular important threads (including this one) but they wouldn't do it.

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatch 1.5t 6MT
I wish this thread was more visible. I asked the admin a long time ago for front page links to the most/popular important threads (including this one) but they wouldn't do it.
That's really a damn shame. Any particular reasoning on their end?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatch 1.5t 6MT
I asked them in a post years ago and personal messaged them a couple times. Never any response. I never understood that. Maybe because I was the only one that suggested it?

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/site-suggestion-featured-topics.60035/

I used to have a featured topics page at my forum and it definitely allowed for more eyes on those featured threads.
That's unfortunate, this site could definitely benefit from such a page. Seems like a bit of a no-brainer feature for any platform like this. I imagine a lot of folks who stumble across this site may not be used to this kind of forum and could use some primers. I'd be happy to shoot them a PM suggesting the same

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's unfortunate, this site could definitely benefit from such a page. Seems like a bit of a no-brainer feature for any platform like this. I imagine a lot of folks who stumble across this site may not be used to this kind of forum and could use some primers. I'd be happy to shoot them a PM suggesting the same
Sure, it couldn't hurt.

NetscapeNavigator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
This thread has been a tremendous resource for me so I will share my experience.

Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 22 months

Total miles driven: ~31000, purchased pre-owned with ~1500 miles on it, so most of them are mine.

Tuned miles driven: ~16000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5 Si, leave it in level 1 all of the time.

Fuel used: Various 93 octane

Additional related mods: 27won Intake (installed around 10k miles), RV6 FK8 Flywheel/Clutch Kit (installed this week)

Problems/issues: A few months ago (~28k mi) I noticed odd behavior under certain conditions in 4th/5th. Most noticable if I downshifted from 6th to 5th/4th to pass someone on the highway. Engine/turbo would wind up but I'd get delayed acceleration. Immediately suspected clutch slipping. Nothing else out of the ordinary drive-wise. Knowing the tune was probably accelerating the demise of the stock clutch, I opted to just replace it before it got worse. Problem disappeared with the new clutch kit that was put in this week, confirming it was indeed the stock clutch slipping.

Driving style: I am an average-to-spirited driver. No racing or anything, but if I have the opportunity to get on it to pass someone on the highway/rural roads, I'm doing it.

Tune experience notes: I am getting the results I expected. Reading the forums here (and this thread) I knew if I tuned the car and drove it "normal", it'd probably accelerate the wear on the stock clutch and I'd have to replace it sooner or later. That's basically what happened. I don't anticipate having to replace it again with my driving style.

Last edited:

TheDeliSauce

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This thread has been a tremendous resource for me so I will share my experience.

Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 22 months

Total miles driven: ~31000, purchased pre-owned with ~1500 miles on it, so most of them are mine.

Tuned miles driven: ~16000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5 Si, leave it in stage 1 all of the time.

Fuel used: Various 93 octane

Additional related mods: 27won Intake (installed around 10k miles), RV6 FK8 Flywheel/Clutch Kit (installed this week)

Problems/issues: A few months ago (~28k mi) I noticed odd behavior under certain conditions in 4th/5th. Most noticable if I downshifted from 6th to 5th/4th to pass someone on the highway. Engine/turbo would wind up but I'd get delayed acceleration. Immediately suspected clutch slipping. Nothing else out of the ordinary drive-wise. Knowing the tune was probably accelerating the demise of the stock clutch, I opted to just replace it before it got worse. Problem disappeared with the new clutch kit that was put in this week, confirming it was indeed the stock clutch slipping.

Driving style: I am an average-to-spirited driver. No racing or anything, but if I have the opportunity to get on it to pass someone on the highway/rural roads, I'm doing it.

Tune experience notes: I am getting the results I expected. Reading the forums here (and this thread) I knew if I tuned the car and drove it "normal", it'd probably accelerate the wear on the stock clutch and I'd have to replace it sooner or later. That's basically what happened. I don't anticipate having to replace it again with my driving style.
Thank you for your contribution! It's nice to see another Ohioan putting in honest work, despite not seeming much.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I really appreciate that. There are so many people that use this resource to help them decide whether or not to tune. So many of them tune but unfortunately never add their car to this to thread. Very happy you did. :thumbsup: Your post will definitely help someone, trust me.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just noticed a big milestone to the thread. We may not get a high percentage of the tuned 10th gens out there but people are checking out the thread for sure...

We surpassed 1,000,000 thread views recently.

NetscapeNavigator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
I really appreciate that. There are so many people that use this resource to help them decide whether or not to tune.
That's more or less what I did. I peeked at this thread off and on when I bought the car and eventually made a "shopping list" of things I wanted to do: intake, relatively conservative tune, and replace the clutch if/when it went.

I finally came full circle and completed the list, so it only made sense to share my experience.

I also forgot to mention the most important mod I've made, which is to unplug the stupid annoying keyfob beeper thing by the rear bumper. Whoever decided that was a good idea needs punched in the neck.
Sponsored