The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
When you mentioned 40,000 miles in your post I wasn't sure if that was total or tuned miles. That's why it's so much easier when people post using the thread format.

Thanks for the update btw.
Sponsored

bluerazz

First Name
Rylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
That's not a code I've really seen before with a dp install. Usually you'll get a P0420 which can be disabled via KTuner. I also wouldn't use a generic Amazon filter, but that's just me.

So you never cleaned and re-oiled the PRL filter?
Looks like I missed your message earlier this week. Sorry about that. Yes, correct, I did not clean and re-oil the PRL filter, just running the generic one right now. I’d be surprised but maybe it’s linked to why I am running so negative in my LTFT.

I am puzzled as to the code that I’ve gotten as well. It’s stubborn and comes back instantly. I will keep trying to diagnose!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Found online...

"The most common solution for an error code P0141 is to replace your oxygen sensor on bank one. Whether there’s a short in the sensor or the sensor heater, any internal damage in your sensor requires a complete sensor replacement."

oberstja

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First post: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...read-for-all-models.42361/page-12#post-705434

Second post: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ad-for-all-models.42361/page-285#post-1139446

Third post: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...lity-thread-for-all-models.42361/post-1264452

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback

Total tuned time: 4 years, 9 months

Total tuned mileage: 103,000 (148,500 miles total on the car)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: OTS Stage 2

Fuel used: 91

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra intake (street maf with 75,500 miles on it and no water problems living in rainy Washington) + PRL turbo inlet pipe

Problems/issues: Nothing notable that I would attribute to having the car tuned. Based on my own research I am looking into replacing fuel injectors, pcv valve, spark plugs and plan on getting a valve clearance adjustment. With the kind of mileage that my Civic has this type of maintenance should not come across as surprising or unexpected in any way.

Driving style: I recently moved closer to where I work, not a drastic difference but daily commute now sits at about 50ish miles roundtrip. Mostly freeway driving at 75-80mph. Not always mashing down on my car but sometimes I'll have a little spirited fun when driving with some friends and out cruising. When I am free on weekends I also do a lot of traveling throughout the Seattle area for car events/shows for photography opportunities so that adds plenty of extra miles over time. Car drives great though and being tuned is more than worth the potential risk based on my personal experience if you do proper research and come to understand the limitations/weaker points of the platform.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) DSC01403

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Photo Jan 26 2024, 3 03 42 PM

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Woo hoo. Welcome to the 100,000 tuned miles club. :thumbsup:

@that_1redcivic

First Name
Milly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)
Country flag
@@that_1redcivic You can adjust throttle response but it's already pre-set to "Improved II". You can toggle the artificial knock rise on or off and a couple other things like BBG. But, in terms of driveability tweaks like turbo response and ramp, no. Doing that would change the setup and feel of the tune. John Vega has a particular way of setting up his OTS tunes. It's all about smoothness and linear power progression.

That's why I think toadgoat says he prefers the jumpier off the line feel of an aggressive starter map. I get it. I ran a tune like that for a while and mostly loved it. But after a while I felt like I wanted a bit more protection for the CVT, less jerkiness and more top end oomph. The TSP 1 gave me that. And the 1.5R has been even better.

But (there's always a but lol) I admit I do miss having that barely touch the throttle and she scoots feel of an aggressively tweaked Starter 21. It would be fantastic if the TSP 1 and Phearable 1.5R had a bit more of that.

It's really all about what you like more. The balance of the OTS tunes (and better top end feel) or the low end aggression and more raw feel of a Starter 21.

Side note: You're still running the Injen SRI, right? If that's the case how do your fuel trims look?
Thank you great response!

Also, as far as the Injen. Sometimes I get a blip of on STFT of 20% immediately following deceleration, on WOT mostly blips at 10 or 11 saw 13 one time. Overall no real issues with it I've kept an eye on it because I know the troubles with them.

I would also like to bring notice to the fact I almost always drive in paddles where I have much more control over how much boost I am running. I will do a data log with a WOT and post it so you guys can see when I get the time!

Benbunny

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Fk7 Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Sport Hatch

Total tuned time: 2 years

Tuned miles driven: 33,000 (maybe)

Tuning device(s) used: I'm using the Ktuner V2

Tunes used: TSP stage 1

Fuel used: 93 octane at whatever gas station I'm nearby

Additional related mods: PRL Race CAI, BC racing coilovers, RV6+Exedy clutch and flywheel kit, Whiteline rear sway bar, PRL strut bar

Problems/issues: Clutch slipping in 4th gear, fixed it with RV6+Exedy clutch and flywheel retrofit

Driving style: Like I stole it. I'd say about 50% normal driving and 50% gunning it.

Tune experience notes: The tune has made my car feel so much more responsive and like it actually has some meat under the hood. Makes the car a lot more fun to drive. I've been autocrossing it for a year now and its held up and been competitive in the STH category. Highly recommend using these cars in AutoX or on the track. It's been life changing. I'll edit some photos in when my new wheels are on later. Sadly a white lady in a white SUV scraped down the entire right side of the body 😢

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update, Ben.

KTunedtoStock

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si 89k miles

Update: 128k miles

Total tuned time: 3 years (down for 1 year approx. i.e. not driven)

Tuned miles driven: estimated, i dont really know: 75,000

Tuning device(s) used: ktuner v2

Tunes used: ktuner base maps, Phearable1.5, [TSP stage 1+]current, moving to flex fuel soon

Fuel used: 93 only

Additional related mods: FBO

Problems/issues: engine 1: hydrolocked with PRL CAI. Engine 2: Head lift then repaired with ARPhead studs (first time opening engine/head job, will not blame engine or studs as i know what i did)
Engine 2 went on to have complete head lift/failure and studs would not torque even after helicoil.
Engine 3: technically, I bought a block off ebay that was supposedly for an si. Turns out, it was for an EX. I reused conn. Rods, bearings and piston rings because it was/is my first full rebuild and i also had to be cheap about it. I transferred my si internals into the "new" short block. Alternator mounting points differ, but i got it to work. Currently on 100 miles on "engine 3" FBO

Driving style: Careful, for now

Current mods:
PRL CAI race maf
RV6 Catless downpipe/frontpipe
Map street exhaust
Prl intercooler
Rv6 retrofit clutch kit w/ flywheel

Notes/experience: the main point of failure in these engines seems to be head lift. I also found a ground up main cap bearing that was still somehow functioning without spinning.
Overall, a great learning experience.
I learned how to rebuild an engine among other aspects of automotive work.
P.s. dont @ me about my engine rebuild im being cheap because it will blow up without forged internals eventually, no matter what. Depends on your power and how you drive. Just be careful out there unless you dont mind rebuilding. Its a very easy car to work on

Fg4Juke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Civic Si, 2017 Civic Si, and a 2018 WRX
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic si Coupe

Total tuned time: 2 years

Tuned miles driven: 30k miles (car has 130k miles)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Ktuner 19.5/21.5 map

Fuel used: Petro 94 (exclusively)

Additional related mods: PRL Short ram (street maf), Mishimoto intercooler, and ktuner v2

Problems/issues: Injectors failed at 90k before the car was tuned, clutch is currently slipping under higher boost, rv6 type r retrofit kit going in next week,

Driving style: Pretty aggressive, sometimes chill. A few pulls to redline a day depending on the day, no clutch dumps or hard launches. A lot of late night hard backroad runs back to back in the summer.

Tune experience notes: Experience has been pretty great so far! That being said the base map definitely leaves much to be desired. Currently buying clutch kit, catless downpipe, catback, and once everything is in I'm planning to run the phearable 1.5R map. Will update once everything is done!

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_9967.JPG

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car. It looks great.

When you update, don't update and edit your original post. Always add a separate update post. Thanks again.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Fg4Juke I forgot to mention this. Going from the base maps to the 1.5R is a huge upgrade and not just in terms of peak power. The Phearable tune is super refined and butter smooth. Smart move upgrading your clutch, btw.

Fg4Juke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Civic Si, 2017 Civic Si, and a 2018 WRX
Country flag
@Fg4Juke I forgot to mention this. Going from the base maps to the 1.5R is a huge upgrade and not just in terms of peak power. The Phearable tune is super refined and butter smooth.
I’m super excited for it. One concern I have is whether I should upgrade my head studs or not. If I do upgrade the studs, should I just replace the head gasket too cuz the car is “high mileage”?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Normally doing the studs will suffice but with 130k on the clock a new gasket might be good insurance/peace of mind.
Sponsored