The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 3 years 8 months

Total tuned mileage: 80,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5 (Map 2 90% of the time, Map 3 every now and then)

Additional engine mods: K&N SRI

Clutch: Stock. Slipped before when WOT in 4th gear at too early of RPM, but been fine otherwise

Problems/issues: Zero issues up until this week when I got a check engine light P0303 (Cylinder 3 Misfire) turned out that I just needed new spark plugs and now car is running back to normal.

Driving style: Like I stole it. Atleast 5 WOT pulls a day from 2-4 to work and back 80 mile roundtrip.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Glad it was just plugs!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a reminder to all tuned owners to be a part of this thread. Help others by posting your tuning experiences and setup. Thanks.

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Surprisingly, only 6% of owners on Phearable tunes have upgraded to one of their revision tunes. At only $99 I figured more people running multiple bolt ons would have done it.

It's no custom but better fuel trims and potentially a bit more power are always good.
When I added the bolt ons running Pherable 1.5R, my car felt like I broke something until I installed the revision tune. I already knew about them and purchased it before the mods, but I drove it to check the basic install, and everything felt off. It would bog out when I pushed it and wouldn't hold power at the top end of the RPM curve. I thought I had a charge pipe leak. The second I installed the revision, it was like running 1.5R on steroids. SOOOO glad I got it BEFORE I did the bolt-ons!

Knowing the revision tune existed WAS ALL THANKS TO THIS THREAD. If you read it, and trust what you're reading enough to pull the trigger and tune your car, ADD YOUR FREAKING CAR and help the community. GTman does a great job keeping this going.:headbang::beer:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Knowing the revision tune existed WAS ALL THANKS TO THIS THREAD. If you read it, and trust what you're reading enough to pull the trigger and tune your car, ADD YOUR FREAKING CAR and help the community.
Appreciate the post @dstix747. So here's what I have a hard time with. Look at my post count and likes --- clearly I try to help everybody when asked. Whether it's reading datalogs, answering tuning questions, trying to solve problems etcetera. That's just how I roll when I'm part of a community.

But when it comes to a trying to get tuned owners involved in the thread, I have little luck. I mean sure, in five years we have a 1,200+ tuned cars added. But I've asked 10 times that many over the years.

Please guys, if you're tuned and have your tuned car in the members showcases, or posted about a your tuned car or a tuning issue in the forum ADD YOUR CAR to this thread as well.

The administrator pinned this thread because they think it's important. Why's it important? Because to be honest, I don't think a tuning reliability study like this has been done before. And if we just sit on our hands, nothing is conclusive at this point. There are trends sure. But we need your continued input to get more answers as far as long term reliability.

The other "experience" aspect of the thread is huge too. Not only so people can see your chosen setup but to find out how it worked for you. I mean over the years, TSP started out as king (still good) but we've seen a bit of a shift towards the 1.5R in the community and a lot of it's due to people's real world opinions in this thread.

We've learned that head gaskets are more of an Si thing (so far). That Type R's can handle more abuse. That hatchbacks have more rod failures. That CVTs have held up surprisingly well to tuning ... etc etc etc...

Bottom line here is that this helps the community. Hopefully we can get through to more people to add their tuned car (or add an update post).

Last edited:

Yogurtbear71

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 1 Year 4 Months

Total tuned mileage: 4,000ish

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 MAP 2 (1 year 3 months)\ TSP Stage 1 PLUS MAP 2 (1 month)

Mods: PRL Race Intake, Acuity Stage 2 shifter parts kit, previous owner cut the muffler so it's straight piped aside from the resonator.

Clutch: , RV6 Type R Retro Fit Clutch & Flywheel

Fuel used: Any 93

Problems/issues: 0 issues

Driving style: Usually I'm pretty kind to her, maybe once a week I do a pull or two, barely do WOT because I'm a🐔. Drive her for work frequently which involves 1.5-4 hour drives 2-3 times a month.

Tune Notes: It is incredible how detuned these cars come from factory. After loading a TSP tune this car pulls like a freight train and makes daily driving a-lot more enjoyable.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20220515_144337

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for being part of the thread.

It is incredible how detuned these cars come from factory. After loading a TSP tune this car pulls like a freight train and makes daily driving a-lot more enjoyable
I think this is what a lot people on the factory tune don't realize. Honda went way overboard on the de-tune. It's not just peak power either. They dulled throttle and turbo responsiveness too.

It's amazing how a tune even with zero bolt ons completely changes our car's character.

Ctran249

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
Hi guys, I'm completely new to any car modding and wanted to dip my toe with ktuner to make my daily driver CVT a bit more enjoyable.

I have a 2019 EX with 1.5T with no performance mods. I'm normally a set it and forget it kind of person so would the V1.2 be a better fit? I do have a windows laptop for initial setup.

My daily commute is local so I don't use the freeway too often so would setting it on ktuners stage 1 or 2 be better over TSP?

Thank you

SSJG Ninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Civic LX
Vehicle: 2021 Civic LX sedan 2.0NA CVT

Total tuned time: 15 minutes lol

Tuned miles driven: 5

Total miles on car:

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner basemap

Fuel used: Shell 93 (There was some 87 about a tank ago. I should be at about 92 from the combo of 87 and 93)

Additional related mods: Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06+ tires

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Gentle with car until coolant hits the mid temp on the dash (3000 rpm and under). Occasional sprints to 4-5k rpm when passing but usually sticks to the 1.5k-4k range in traffic. About every 2-4 weeks, I'll go on a longer 3-hour drive through highway and twisty roads with a few WOTs when passing cars. I do give the car a few minutes of cruising to cooldown the CVT between WOT pulls. Does take hard, quick turns though lol.

Tune experience notes: Tuned during my lunch break at work lol. I did some research and made sure both my car and my laptop were plugged in during the flash. Throttle response 1 feels really good and subtle so far. Low speed maneuvers are still very doable, but the car feels really eager to go like when you step on the gas a few times pre-tune. I did one quick pull to try out the VTEC and I was laughing so hard with how good the car felt and sounded compared to pre-tune. I'll hookup my laptop and watch a few things during a longer drive tomorrow, but so far so good!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2021 Civic LX sedan 2.0NA CVT

Total tuned time: 15 minutes lol

Tuned miles driven: 5
Looking forward to some updates after you hit 10 tuned miles. :) Enjoy the tune.

Last edited:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys, I'm completely new to any car modding and wanted to dip my toe with ktuner to make my daily driver CVT a bit more enjoyable.

I have a 2019 EX with 1.5T with no performance mods. I'm normally a set it and forget it kind of person so would the V1.2 be a better fit? I do have a windows laptop for initial setup.

My daily commute is local so I don't use the freeway too often so would setting it on ktuners stage 1 or 2 be better over TSP?

Thank you
The TSP and Phearable tunes are considered an upgrade over the base maps and come free when you purchase your KTuner from those companies. On the other hand, the base maps are certainly a nice upgrade over the stock tune are very lively in city stop and go.

A tune will have you wondering if you're driving the same car. Even the CVT seems better when you tune.

Here's a good topic I started on the turbo CVT models and tuning.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/have-a-turbo-and-a-cvt-considering-a-tune-read-this.31242/

Last edited:

Ctran249

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
TSP or Phearable tunes are considered an upgrade over the base maps and come free when you purchase your tune from those companies. But the base maps are certainly a nice upgrade over the stock tune and they're very lively in city stop and go.

Side note: A tune will have you wondering if you're driving the same car. Even the CVT seems better when you tune.

Here's a good topic I started on the turbo CVT models and tuning.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/have-a-turbo-and-a-cvt-considering-a-tune-read-this.31242/
Thank you, I will probably buy ktuner from TSP then 😀

You were actually the main reason why I'm even considering getting ktuner as I kept thinking before "it's a CVT why would I spend money tuning it?"

I've watched a few vids on flashing the ECU with TSP, but after it says flash successful. Do I need to tinker with any settings with the actual car or is it good to go?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So you get your KTuner V1.2 and tune file from TSP.

1. Upload the free KTuner software to your PC

2. Lock your KTuner to your car's ECU via the OBD-II port.

3. Register your KTuner unit via the KTuner software.

4. Load the TSP tune file into the KTuner software and the upload your tune into one of the five KTuner tune slots.

5. Go to your car with your laptop and plug in your KTuner to the OBD-II port. Flash your tune via the KTuner software. Watch the dash light up with errors like a Christmas tree. Let the flash finish and follow all prompts.

Enjoy you new, more fun car.

Ctran249

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
So you get your KTuner V1.2 and tune file from TSP.

1. Upload the free KTuner software to your PC

2. Lock your KTuner to your car's ECU via the OBD-II port.

3. Register your KTuner unit via the KTuner software.

4. Load the TSP tune file into the KTuner software and the upload your tune into one of the five KTuner tune slots.

5. Go to your car with your laptop and plug in your KTuner to the OBD-II port. Flash your tune via the KTuner software. Watch the dash light up with errors like a Christmas tree. Let the flash finish and follow all prompts.

Enjoy you new, more fun car.
Awesome, appreciate it. Will post my setup once I have everything all set 😀

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I'm profoundly grateful for your assistance. As someone who spent WAY too long in graduate school, the only skill I acquired there was "research." Nevertheless, beyond this thread, I don't trust what's out there.

That said, I don't know how to change a map. I presume that needs to be done on the Ktuner app on my laptop. Or can that be done on TunerView? Not even sure where to start there.

I ran the +6 base map tune for nearly a year and never did anything else. I was happy with the results, and I didn't want to stress my engine. As you notice in my signature, I haven't made any engine mods beyond the RMM.

I'm eager to learn from an expert. I'll gladly read through the 27 forum pages of your tuning journal--and enjoy it thoroughly--but I don't mind cheat codes.
Nevertheless, beyond this thread, I don't trust what's out there🤣

That'd be because if I post BS gtman calls me out vice versa. All though rarely versa
Sponsored