Stock wiper blade housing - do they last long?

geoken2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch sport
Country flag
I tossed my stock wiper blade housing years ago because I was too dumb to realize that it wasn't like a standard wiper and I could change just the blade.

I've since been thinking about investing in another one so in the future I can by cheaper blades instead of having to replace the wiper. The only thing I'm worried about is if the housing start losing tension over time.

With regular off the shelf wipers, the frame loses tension, but you don't really need to care because the blade is garbage well before that (or at least it is if you live in a northern climate). I just want to make sure that I don't shell out money to get a new OEM wiper frame, but then end up needing to get off the shelf wipers anyway because after replacing the blade once or twice I find that the housing has deformed to the point where there's not enough pressure on the edges anymore.
Sponsored

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I tossed my stock wiper blade housing years ago because I was too dumb to realize that it wasn't like a standard wiper and I could change just the blade.

I've since been thinking about investing in another one so in the future I can by cheaper blades instead of having to replace the wiper. The only thing I'm worried about is if the housing start losing tension over time.

With regular off the shelf wipers, the frame loses tension, but you don't really need to care because the blade is garbage well before that (or at least it is if you live in a northern climate). I just want to make sure that I don't shell out money to get a new OEM wiper frame, but then end up needing to get off the shelf wipers anyway because after replacing the blade once or twice I find that the housing has deformed to the point where there's not enough pressure on the edges anymore.
have had zero issues with mine since 2017

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Mine are in a late 2017 build 2018 MY car - no issues. I’ve replaced the inserts only 3 times as well. They by far outlast any aftermarket wiper and are significantly cheaper if you buy in bulk online for the shipping hit

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I use the OEM inserts and replace them once a year. They could go longer but it's just habit I guess.

OP
OP

geoken2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch sport
Country flag
@dem2757 @dt10g @gtman

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered the OEM wiper (+ an insert since it wasn't clear if the part number for the Wiper included an insert - and worst case I have an extra insert to replace down the road).

bluzfanmr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Touring Coupe, '10 Hyundai Tucson
Country flag
Still using my originals and I just buy the inserts for cheap from the dealer and replace them a few times a year as needed. Beats the hell out of the ridiculously priced and cheap made wiper blades they put out nowadays.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
OP, thanks for posting this! I had no idea the OEM wiper used inserts because it didn't look like the old-school metal ones.

I trashed mine a few years ago but I'm going to pick up some OEM replacements and refills.

OP
OP

geoken2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch sport
Country flag
OP, thanks for posting this! I had no idea the OEM wiper used inserts because it didn't look like the old-school metal ones.

I trashed mine a few years ago but I'm going to pick up some OEM replacements and refills.
Exactly.

FYI, for anyone seeing this - the wiper (part# 76620-TBA-A02 for the drivers side) does come with the rubber part. I ordered it and a refill because I wasn't sure if the blade would come with one....but it did so now I have a spare one for when I next need to change.

n3umw

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe 1.5L CVT
Country flag
Not sure if Honda refills are rubber. Go with $7 Silicone refills from Amazon. Last much longer than rubber.
Sponsored