Enjoy your coupes while they last

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
The Accord coupe is officially dead as of this morning's live 2018 Accord reveal.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 10th gen Civic coupe will be the last.
Sponsored

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
I caught the stream on facebook from a friend about halfway through (after they pulled the cover, the crowd then covered it so I didn't get to look at the car that much)

- Wow they dropped the Coupe. I was never big on the Accord coupe, but hearing it would come with a 2.0L TypeR variant engine this time, I was interested/hoping the Accord Coupe might be a more exciting alternative to my disappointment in the Si. Guess I'll have to warm up to the idea of having a family sedan looking car if I want one

- Honda Sensing standard across the line was shocking. His emphasis on bringing manuals back just before mentioning Honda Sensing makes me think that also includes manual transmission equipped models (which, as we discussed in the other Si thread, would make sense since they're bringing it on the 6MT Fit)

- It definitely looks huge (hence why I was hoping for a Coupe). I'm sure the average consumer will love the interior room, but I hope the market is starting to hit the brakes on making cars bigger and bigger. Our Civics already has a rear seat that's hard to complain about

Given that I didn't get to look at the exterior styling that much with the crowd in the way, my first impression was "it kind of looks like a Dodge Charger". It has a more blunt front end than I ever would have expected from the new Accord. I'm not sure if I like it or hate it - it was just more blunt and square-ish than I was expecting

Javex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan EX WOP - Aero Kit/Wing Spoiler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
RIP coupe. I liked it a lot... I test drove a touring manual and my brother almost bought one. Honda Financing and insurance popped on the deal. Big fan of the coupe.

found something on youtube

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Javex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yeah you can see civic there... the chrome thing on the front with the emblem looks exactly like the civic.

I think I don't like it... the lines scream HYUNDAI! I don't think is ugly but I am not a fan. see it sideways and it looks like a Genesis Sedan or any other Hyundai. I dunno. First impression

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not a fan of the look. Here are some details of the 2.0T from the press release:

The Accord can also be equipped with a new 2.0-liter 16-valve DOHC direct-injected turbo with i-VTEC® valvetrain paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission or, in Sport trim, to the 10AT or an available 6MT. The new 2.0-liter turbo, sharing much of its design with the race-bred 2017 Civic Type R, produces 252 HP at 6,500 rpm and 273 lb.-ft. of torque from 1,500 to 4,000 rpm, compared to 278 HP at 6,200 rpm and 252 lb.-ft. at 4,900 rpm for the 3.5-liter V6 that it replaces.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
yeah you can see civic there... the chrome thing on the front with the emblem looks exactly like the civic.

I think I don't like it... the lines scream HYUNDAI! I don't think is ugly but I am not a fan. see it sideways and it looks like a Genesis Sedan or any other Hyundai. I dunno. First impression
Yeah the rear looked like an outgoing Hyundai model......in a boring way :\

The side....meh....anytime I look at ANY side profile shot of a modern car, I get grossed out by how big modern cars are these days

Back to the original topic though, I could see a scenario where even the 11th gen Civic Coupe might be cut. If they continue to get bigger and bigger, the coupe will just lose it's proportions to look good anymore. As good as the Civic Si coupe looks, there are still some angles where it looks like an elephant. Coupes don't even seem that popular elsewhere in the world (especially not in Japan it seems, the last Civic Type R was 4-door only)

Not to mention, the longer/bigger a car gets, the bigger a coupe version's doors will get, and that just becomes a realistic nightmare to get in and out of everyday. The one thing I don't miss about my CR-Z is how god damn huge those doors were for a small coupe hatchback.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The ass end is 100% Hyundai.

The interior looks rather Mazda 6ish, with a hint of 3 series. Much more upscale. That features list makes me think the 2.0 Touring will top $40k.

They really shoulda kept the coupe. I may have considered one in the future if they did. Sad!

Javex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The ass end is 100% Hyundai.

The interior looks rather Mazda 6ish, with a hint of 3 series. Much more upscale. That features list makes me think the 2.0 Touring will top $40k.

They really shoulda kept the coupe. I may have considered one in the future if they did. Sad!
THEY LOST MY BUSINESS! lol Cuz I wanted a coupe!

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
THEY LOST MY BUSINESS! lol Cuz I wanted a coupe!
The Accord was the last remaining mid-size coupe after Nissan discontinued the Altima coupe in 2013. That market has run its course. It's dead.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I think I don't like it... the lines scream HYUNDAI! I don't think is ugly but I am not a fan.
Its so bland/boring/Hyundai. Not a fan of fastback sedans either myself - if you want a fastback shape, make it a 5-door ie. hatchback.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it's most likely because the Accord is geared more toward being a family sedan and not a sporty coupe. I doubt they will do away with Civic coupe as it is the cheapest option for a person who wants a Civic but is single or just needs a car for work.
Sponsored