Something went BOOM (I think turbo (W1)) DATALOG

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
To make this short, I was behind a mini coop, used my paddles in my CVT hatch to drop a "gear" and pass him. Got to peak rpm and boost (40-70ish) and the car let out a bang and rpms shot down and I smelled something hot. At first I thought it was the trans due to the integrity of the cvt, but I was still able to drive a mile to where I had to go, and then a few miles home at low speeds to not push anything. I then got this log (titled "Uh oh") in my neighborhood where I tried to build a little boost and heard a whining noise in the turbo area. Its a w1 turbo with e30 and pro tuned by Derek for reference. Pretty upsetting if its the turbo since I got mine used (low miles from @PearlwhiteSi ) so there is no warranty. I haven't taken it apart to take a look yet and am going away for a week anyway so Im letting it sit till I return. As of now, nothing visual I can see, but the heat shield and inlet piping block the housing. Posting this to see if anyone can see anything in my log that would be a diagnosis, I see that TPS and TPS.cmd are pretty off, but admittedly I'm not the most knowledgeable on tuning. Second log is from the drive home, and longer.
Sponsored

Attachments

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at the logs. Hard to really tell anything from the longer log because you were barely touching the throttle.

On the "uh oh" log, you were targeting maybe as much as 7-8 psi and you weren't boosting at all.

Were you getting any sort of CEL? I'm no expert diagnosing something like this but best case scenario you blew off a charge pipe.

OP
OP
Gherbo23

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I looked at the logs. Hard to really tell anything from the longer log because you were barely touching the throttle.

On the "uh oh" log, you were targeting maybe as much as 7-8 psi and you weren't boosting at all.

Were you getting any sort of CEL? I'm no expert diagnosing something like this but best case scenario you blew off a charge pipe.
nah no CEL, I checked the charge pipes too (without taking it all apart) and dont think its that since Ive done that once too. I'm thinking by the sound (sounded like the wheel wanted to spin but was grinding) and smell of it, its a turbo issue, hence the no boost but obviously cant be for sure until its up on jacks

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
How many pounds of boost are you running?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
peaks at 28

Edit: ususally lingers around 26 and only 28 for a very brief period from what I see on logs
Okay, just curious. Recommended to max out at 27 PSI for the W1 so it's not like you're overboosting it to death. I hope you get this sorted out. It sounds like a turbo issue to me also but hopefully it's a cheaper fix.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
It is possible that it just overshoots to 28 briefly during spool and settles to 26 as the rpms rise...
Maybe you have a log from your normal drives you could share...

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Time to pop the downpipe off and check the hot side. Biggest culprit for a boost leak is right on the throttlebody, so check that too.

All w1 turbos should be thrown straight in the trash, unfortunately. There failure rate is so high there should be a class action lawsuit at this point.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Time to pop the downpipe off and check the hot side. Biggest culprit for a boost leak is right on the throttlebody, so check that too.

All w1 turbos should be thrown straight in the trash, unfortunately. There failure rate is so high there should be a class action lawsuit at this point.
u know wut i wanna say n thinking don't u ? yes agreed with above.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully the gherbo23 will come back with an update instead of leaving us in suspense. :cool:

Last edited:

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Sounds like he just blew a charge pipe or something, still no updates tho.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like he just blew a charge pipe or something, still no updates tho.
I mentioned that in the second post but he responded that he didn't.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
More of the opinion of frequency bias here.

People see a failure and then suddenly see tons of failures all over.

Or perhaps those running into failures are pushing it significantly harder.

Knock on wood no issues with mine for over 2 years now. Personally know 8 folks in my area that ran it over a year with no issues.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No problem with my w1. Installed it August 2020.
Put about near 20k miles on it.
Fbo, flex, custom tune.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No problem with my w1. Installed it August 2020.
Put about near 20k miles on it.
Fbo, flex, custom tune.
So here's the other issue and I think it's a big one and I'm not trying to single you out. Just stating a fact...

We have quite a few cars in the reliability survey thread that just aren't getting updated. For example, you last posted an update back in August 2020. So we have no idea you've been running the W1 successfully the past year for that many miles.

Same goes for anyone who doesn't add updates there. Instead, we are left with threads like this where people say they had reliability issues, but the thread doesn't wind up going into what actually happened and why.

To anyone who has been kind enough to add their car to my reliability thread...

Please help everyone out and add updates from time to time. It's really important for our community.
Sponsored

Last edited: