CVT flex fuel/w1 turbo and tune

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Im looking to get either the prl flex fuel, or the w1 turbo from 27won and will be getting a dyno tune from Drob. I live 45 mins away from e85, so the plan was to get containers for the garage and fill those ethanol once a month. After doing some homework, I see that there are cvts with both of them, but I would do one or the other, at least for now. Price difference is around 900$, turbo obviously being more expensive, and its looking like e85 ran at e30 ish with the bolt ons I have can get me 250hp and 235 ish torque, and the turbo + flex should be 300/250, but what would the difference of just the turbo be? Would it be the same net gains as doing the e85 minus the 900$ difference? Not sure I want to do both since it is a daily, and obviously dont want to have to spend more than I need. Opinions? If it was your car what would you do?

One benefit that I may be wrong about with the turbo is that the peak torque is sat higher in the curves, which is of course safer on the rods, while the e85 has more low end torque. While a benefit to the ethanol would be cooler temps under the hood due to cooler combustion (could be wrong here too, things on paper dont always equal IRL). Not sure if any of this will make a difference when there's a custom tune vs basemap since curves will be tuned anyway. Sorry if these are newb questions, I just want to be sure Im doing things the right way the first time.

Current relevant mods to this question:
RV6 catless DP
Takeda SRI
Ktune running tsp s1 right now
Hasport 62a RMM (great mod for the money for those that havent done it yet)
Sponsored

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a w1 for sale new! Lmk if you’re interested willing to ship

Ep3-FK7

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I’m in same boat as you. I want to go flex or turbo not both but not sure what I should do. Is one safer for reliability /longevity of engine and cvt. My goal is to make around ~275 hp.

FatalRobin

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I have a w1 for sale new! Lmk if you’re interested willing to ship
Do you still have this w1 for sale??? If so PM me! How long have you been using it if at all?

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Turbo or flex are worth about the same amount of hp each for the most part, so compare the disadvantages to make a decision is what I would do.

Turbo spools later so prepare to lose a little oomph in lower rpm. More expensive. A lot more work to install.

With flex fuel you are required to use e85, even if you did travel that far and keep some on hand without it the tune is dialed back down anyway. Also as an honorable mention running flex fuel tunes on the stock turbo has a trend (even if only those of us on here have kept track and/or noticed it) to cause issues with flying rods or sometimes injector problems in general if run constantly.

Those are the things I would compare to make a decision. If you want a cheap option to use sometimes then run flex, if you want the power to be consistent without any variables then go turbo. That's my opinion anyway incase its helpful
Sponsored