TheGman76

First Name
Gab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Hello everyone.. I need some advice.. I just reserved a 2020 Si , but after doing some research on your forum I see that there are issues with the rear suspension in colder climates..

I still haven't talked to the dealer about this, but wondered if the issue was resolved for the 2020 model year?

How bad is it during the colder days?

Would you still recommend getting one or opting for the hatchback sport? Is there a big difference?

Thanks
Sponsored

HRSPRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe - PWP
Country flag
Hey man! So I've been a long time lurker here but saw this and wanted to join and give my 2 cents, so first post:thumbsup:

I've had my 2020 Si coupe since April of this year and absolutely love it so far. I came from a 2017 hatchback sport and before that a 1LE camaro, e92 m3, and a few others. Mainly switched to Honda as having a big V8 in the city was a tough go and insurance wasn't a joy either. I saw the switch as a short term, responsible, change but that being said it's 3 years later and I've just bought another one. It's a very easy car to daily, run for groceries, or toss it around on a spirited drive. Not to mention I can see out of the back window and fit in parking spots, I'm looking at you camaro...

If you haven't driven it yet, I would test drive both and see which you prefer. I think the fit and finish from 2017 to 2020 is night and day in terms of interior, body panels, and performance, however, the Si just feels a little "cooler" than the rest of the line-up and I would say hands down outperforms the standard civic. I haven't had many cold days here yet so I can't speak to the rear end performance but if it is an issue there are bound to be aftermarket fixes. I hope this helps a little, cheers.

OP
OP

TheGman76

First Name
Gab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. I actually own a 2017 accord sport and have had 0 issues besides changing a rear brake caliper... I've also owned a 2004 civic coupe and sold it with 195 000 kms with no issues..

I'm glad to hear your experience is positive... I will test drive the SI tomorrow.. This model is the one that I want because I want a more sportier driving experience...

I just hope that this issue with the dampers and cold weather is only a rare occurance

LittleturboSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
All cars have more or less known issues, and most of them may only happen later down the line. They may not happen at all. If you dig into any car forum you will see.

I have a 2019 and no rear suspension problem in cold weather. Don't let this worry gets in your way of enjoying this good car. This is already a car/manufacturer with relatively less quality issues. Now, let me tell you, there will be more rattle noises in cold weather.......but so what......:lol:

Staffiedog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette and Civic SI
Country flag
Every car forum has issues regarding certain aspects of the forum’s car which would cause one to think about their purchase. I would not think twice about getting a Civic si.
I just got a 2020 si and I love it.

Connorsrandom

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Hello everyone.. I need some advice.. I just reserved a 2020 Si , but after doing some research on your forum I see that there are issues with the rear suspension in colder climates..

I still haven't talked to the dealer about this, but wondered if the issue was resolved for the 2020 model year?

How bad is it during the colder days?

Would you still recommend getting one or opting for the hatchback sport? Is there a big difference?

Thanks
Hey Gab. Welcome to the Forum!
I have had my 2020 si since September and went through the entire winter without any issues. Suspension feels great! Really the only thing I can complain about with the car is that sometimes the apple car play has an issue connecting, but then again that could be my phone. I definitely recommend getting your hands on the si and joining the club. Once you do throw your instagram on and i'll follow your build.

OP
OP

TheGman76

First Name
Gab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Hey Gab. Welcome to the Forum!
I have had my 2020 si since September and went through the entire winter without any issues. Suspension feels great! Really the only thing I can complain about with the car is that sometimes the apple car play has an issue connecting, but then again that could be my phone. I definitely recommend getting your hands on the si and joining the club. Once you do throw your instagram on and i'll follow your build.

OP
OP

TheGman76

First Name
Gab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks man... Thanks for the reply! How cold does it get in winter where you live?

Connorsrandom

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks man... Thanks for the reply! How cold does it get in winter where you live?
I live in va so it isn't FEET of snow but we will get one or two small storms a year. It gets a little chilly but nothing compared to new york or anything.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You should 100% purchase the 2020 Si. Best balanced sporty car around for the money. If you don't, I guarantee you'll regret it.

OP
OP

TheGman76

First Name
Gab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
I have know doubt what so ever about that!

We have a local car review panel that always mentions these suspension issues with the Si when doing comparisons with other sport compacts...

Then I read a few threads and made me wonder..

But it's good to see ppl with 2020's that have no issues

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have know doubt what so ever about that!

We have a local car review panel that always mentions these suspension issues with the Si when doing comparisons with other sport compacts...

Then I read a few threads and made me wonder..

But it's good to see ppl with 2020's that have no issues
I am one of the original CivicX members. Joined in 2015 before the 10th gen even came out. I have no idea what cold weather suspension issue those local guys are talking about. I have a non-Si turbo and have no suspension issues in cold weather.

What exactly are you reading about that has you thinking the Si is a problem in cold weather?

OP
OP

TheGman76

First Name
Gab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
I am one of the original CivicX members. Joined in 2015 before the 10th gen even came out. I have no idea what cold weather suspension issue those local guys are talking about. I have a non-Si turbo and have no suspension issues in cold weather.

What exactly are you reading about that has you thinking the Si is a problem in cold weather?

Basically it effects the 10th gen IS and even the rdx.

The problem is in very cold winter temps the rear dampers make a lot of noise and get very stiff...

There is even a service bulletin in Canada concerning this problem. 2018

Honda was aware of the problem, but not sure they found a fix