PPF and Ceramic Coat consensus?

tacofest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 FK8
Is there a general consensus around PPF and Ceramic Coat?

I'm interested in PPF'ing the front of the car + doors. Let's say in 5-10 years I take the PPF off, I've heard reports that the PPF can pull paint off or damage it when removing. Is this true? Yes I know PPF or Ceramic don't add to the resale value, thats not a concern.

From there would it make sense to do ceramic coating on top of PPF? I understand PPF is for protection and cermaic is for easier cleaning.
Sponsored

chomdh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR, 2004 S2000, 2006 TL, 2016 Outback 3.6
Country flag
Front PPF + bi-yearly waxing
What about the part of the question regarding PPF removal and potential paint damage then?

We have a 2016 outback and had PPF installed when it was brand new. I’m tempted to peel some of that off now and see what happens almost 7 years later before adding PPF to my CTR.

OP
OP

tacofest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 FK8
@chomdh - These reports of paint peel were based on some google searches and other car forums (non-honda). Don't want to create hysteria over nothing but still a decent question.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
With a modern paper like Xpel I wouldn't worry about it. Removal isn't too hard either with the correct method (using hot water + peeling).

I didn't get a PPF until I hit 12,000 km and the chips started to pile up

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Almost two years since I had ceramic pro put on. Worth every penny IMO. Washing is a breeze, and I don't have to worry about waxing the car myself and potentially introducing swirls. If I had to go back, I would probably have put PPF from the front fenders forward, but nowhere else.

chomdh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR, 2004 S2000, 2006 TL, 2016 Outback 3.6
Country flag
PPF is a must!
How well do they hide the edges with all the crazy shapes on the front bumper? Are they using a blade to cut the film while it’s on the car? If so how likely is it that the blade slips and scratches my paint during the installation?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 typeR
Country flag
How well do they hide the edges with all the crazy shapes on the front bumper? Are they using a blade to cut the film while it’s on the car? If so how likely is it that the blade slips and scratches my paint during the installation?
With a good installer you should not see the edges at all in most places.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
front PPF is a must if you plan on DDing it and are particular about paint chips. 40k miles later and my hood is flawless.

Hatchi

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Prius, 2020 BBP CTR
Country flag
There's precut film for the FK8, you can actually buy it yourself, just no guarantee you'll put it on right, and generally you get a paint correction alongside ceramic + ppf, I know from personal experience. Used XPEL Ultimate, solid stuff so far, been on for 2 years and its done it's job.

As for OP's question, I had a shop install tint on my car about a year after I got the PPF, in doing so they burned the strip of PPF I had on the front roof of the car. They took it off and put a new strip back on. Paint's all still there, so there must be a "correct" way to do it otherwise I'd have a fucked up roof.

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From there would it make sense to do ceramic coating on top of PPF? I understand PPF is for protection and cermaic is for easier cleaning.
I don't have clear PPF, but my wrap counts. My entire car was ceramic coated after the wrap and yes, it makes it a breeze to clean and is worth it. I also agree that a paint correction is a MUST before the CC.

What I won't recommend is having the windows ceramic coated. It did OK for mine where rain rolls right off, but my side windows appear to be dirty at certain angles. There are products made specifically for windows, and I would say use those.

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
Just to drop my two cents, I just did a full detail on my wife's Corolla and applied GTecniq CSL ceramic coating and it came out amazing. Afterwards you can apply another sacrificial layer of coating called EXO. The idea is you do the hard paint correction once, apply CSL then every year apply the EXO and the original CSL coating should last for years and years.

I don't have any experience with PPF but the ceramic coating seems to help a lot with minor scratches on the front.

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
Almost two years since I had ceramic pro put on. Worth every penny IMO. Washing is a breeze, and I don't have to worry about waxing the car myself and potentially introducing swirls. If I had to go back, I would probably have put PPF from the front fenders forward, but nowhere else.
Thats what I did and now I have 1 chipo on the rocker panel and 2 chips on the roof.... oh and that was after putting it on at 800miles and already having 2 chips on the hood. OP, one suggestion if you do get PPF, make sure it wraps around the hood at least. I have a chip now that hit that 1/16inch spot that isnt covered on the front of the hood.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
The PPF that ive seen is precut, so theyre not going through the entire front end and cutting it all along the edges. Most of the precuts including mine, go within a few cm's of the edge of the panel and you cant tell unless youre looking really close.
Sponsored