CBP w/ PPF & Ceramic

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CTR #1637
Llumar PPF on front bumper, full hood & scoop, front fenders, A pillars, roof strip, side mirrors, rockers, door sills & rear wheel arches
Opti-Coat Pro Ceramic 9h including wheels, barrels & calipers
Honda Civic 10th gen CBP w/ PPF & Ceramic Front
Honda Civic 10th gen CBP w/ PPF & Ceramic Profile

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice work. Let's hope it gives you a big leg up maintaining that black paint. Sure looks awesome when it's clean and swirl free!

OP
OP
J35W2

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice work. Let's hope it gives you a big leg up maintaining that black paint. Sure looks awesome when it's clean and swirl free!
Amen to that. Third black Honda & I'm tired of it. Installer was a madman & said he had nightmares about the paint correction. Paint is soft & wouldn't release with a buffer. He said there was a good amount of hazing & swirls from the factory wet sanding. He spent over 14 hours on it (including the coating) & said he could only get it to "90% perfect". Looks great to me, but I feel his pain.

He said this car humbled him. Yikes.

HeathRorie

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
I get suntech clearbra on Wednesday and then ceramic coating around the 20th of this month. Mine's white, hopefully finished product looks as good as this!

OP
OP
J35W2

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I get suntech clearbra on Wednesday and then ceramic coating around the 20th of this month. Mine's white, hopefully finished product looks as good as this!
Installer: "Man, I wish you had gotten white, it would have been a breeze!"

Me: "Me too".

Good luck and post some pics when it's all done!

OP
OP
J35W2

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
BTW, Llumar now has patterns for the entire front end, A pillars & roof strip, so it should be cheaper for folks with no custom installs needed.

few35t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR CTR, 2010 Civic Si
Country flag
So is the ceramic coating on the entire car and the ppf over that on the front?

Could you maybe share some details on the cost?

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
So is the ceramic coating on the entire car and the ppf over that on the front?

Could you maybe share some details on the cost?
He would have had the PPF completed and then ceramic applied to the whole car. From my understanding you can't apply PPF if it has been ceramic coated. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

few35t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
He would have had the PPF completed and then ceramic applied to the whole car. From my understanding you can't apply PPF if it has been ceramic coated. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
But ppf only last 5-10 years? And isn't ceramic coating permanent? So in that case you'd have to get the ppf removed, reapplied, and then ceramic coated again? Yeah 5-10 years is a long time so maybe it's not a big deal. I've just read that ppf can potentially damage paint once removed, also become discolored and brittle.

OP
OP
J35W2

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But ppf only last 5-10 years? And isn't ceramic coating permanent? So in that case you'd have to get the ppf removed, reapplied, and then ceramic coated again? Yeah 5-10 years is a long time so maybe it's not a big deal. I've just read that ppf can potentially damage paint once removed, also become discolored and brittle.
So, first the car has some paint correction done & is buffed out to get the paint as close to perfect as possible (much easier on a new car.) Then PPF goes on the front end (or whole car if you can afford it) and then ceramic over the whole car. Most of the newer PP films have a 5 or 10 year warranty, so theoretically, they should last longer & could last the lifetime of the car if maintained well. Some of the older films would turn yellow if exposed to a lot of environmental abuse (lots of UV light, acid rain & not washed.) If maintained properly, the ceramic usually needs to be re-applied in 5 years or so, depending on the maintenance. The ceramic coating should help protect the PPF and help it last longer.

I've never done it before, so I will be learning along the way. It looks great right now, but can't wash it for another several days until the ceramic is cured properly. A good PPF installer can remove the PPF and it should not cause any issues with the paint (or so I'm told.) Pulling off the PPF will obviously pull off the ceramic too.

My car is garage kept for 22-23 hours a day & I wash it once a week, so I'm hoping it all lasts for at least 10 years.

The PPF was about $1,700 & the Opti-Coat was $1,100 installed (including paint correction.)

Last edited:

few35t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, first the car has some paint correction done & is buffed out to get the paint as close to perfect as possible (much easier on a new car.) Then PPF goes on the front end (or whole car if you can afford it) and then ceramic over the whole car. Most of the newer PP films have a 5 or 10 year warranty, so theoretically, they should last longer & could last the lifetime of the car if maintained well. Some of the older films would turn yellow if exposed to a lot of environmental abuse (lots of UV light, acid rain & not washed.) If maintained properly, the ceramic usually needs to be re-applied in 5 years or so, depending on the maintenance. The ceramic coating should help protect the PPF and help it last longer.

I've never done it before, so I will be learning along the way. It looks great right now, but can't wash it for another several days until the ceramic is cured properly. A good PPF installer can remove the PPF and it should not cause any issues with the paint (or so I'm told.) Pulling off the PPF will obviously pull off the ceramic too.

My car is garage kept for 22-23 hours a day & I wash it once a week, so I'm hoping it all lasts for at least 10 years.

The PPF was about $1,700 & the Opti-Coat was $1,100 installed (including paint correction.)
Great info, thanks!

I knew it wouldn't be cheap but damn near $3k? Sheeeesh!

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
Your car does look good. Can't wait to get mine this month. Will be doing similar protection. Was quoted the following.

full hood, full fenders, mirrors and full front bumper $1395 ( hood and fender edges wrapped)
Paint Correction starts at $299
5 year warranted Ceramic Coating $699
7 year warranted Ceramic Coating $999

OP
OP
J35W2

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pricey indeed. I guess I'm getting ready to find out if it was worth it. It should make washing MUCH easier and I have noticed that it even resists dust accumulation.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 Type R (CBP), 2002 EP3 Si (NHBP)
Country flag
I just got a quote for my CBP CTR as well. Any tips on which I should choose?

Shop 1
  • Partial Front Clear Bra - $839 (Front Bumper, headlights, Partial hood, partial fenders, side-view mirrors, door cups, door edges)
  • Ceramic Pro Exterior - $1,200 (1 coat 9H and 1 coat Light. Paint prep included in price.)
  • Ceramic Pro Wheels + Calipers - $350
  • Ceramic Pro Interior - $350
  • Ceramic Pro Windows - $175
  • Total: $2,914 (And then 10% discount for multi-service, however this is pre-tax so it's going to be about the same)
Shop 2
  • Paint Prep - $300
  • Gtechniq Crystal Serum Black and EXOv3 - $850
  • Gtechniq for wheels - $300
  • Gtechniq for calipers - $100
  • Full Frontal PPF - $1,500 (Same as partial but with the full hood)
  • Total: $3,050 (Pre-tax)
This is my first time trying to get my car coated and wrapped. So, are these prices way too high? What should I be expecting for this kind of service?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J35W2

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got a quote for my CBP CTR as well. Any tips on which I should choose?

Shop 1
  • Partial Front Clear Bra - $839 (Front Bumper, headlights, Partial hood, partial fenders, side-view mirrors, door cups, door edges)
  • Ceramic Pro Exterior - $1,200 (1 coat 9H and 1 coat Light. Paint prep included in price.)
  • Ceramic Pro Wheels + Calipers - $350
  • Ceramic Pro Interior - $350
  • Ceramic Pro Windows - $175
  • Total: $2,914 (And then 10% discount for multi-service, however this is pre-tax so it's going to be about the same)
Shop 2
  • Paint Prep - $300
  • Gtechniq Crystal Serum Black and EXOv3 - $850
  • Gtechniq for wheels - $300
  • Gtechniq for calipers - $100
  • Full Frontal PPF - $1,500 (Same as partial but with the full hood)
  • Total: $3,050 (Pre-tax)
This is my first time trying to get my car coated and wrapped. So, are these prices way too high? What should I be expecting for this kind of service?
Seems like most estimates are between $2,500 - $3,000.00 depending on which PPF/installer you go with. From what I know, the installer makes most of the difference, so def go with whichever installer has more experience/better reviews. Even the best ceramic & PPF is not going to look great if the installer is no good.
Sponsored