Ok gas prices are getting ridiculous....Regular in this car?

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
The increase in gas sucks without a doubt, but if its gotten to the point where the difference in price is having you trying to consider putting 87 or 89 octane in your car you need to take a step back and reevaluate your financials.

Im not trying to make this political by any means, everyone is under the same pressure and regardless of what people think the solution is at the end of the day putting 87 octane in a performance car that needs 91+ is asking for trouble.

Saving pennies now is going to cost you more in the long run.
Sponsored

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
Haven't read all comments in this thread yet...but I actually did a calculation. Locally here premium gas is always about 20 cents CAD per liter more than regular. In comparison to the 2019 sedan, Type R costs 30% more in fuel in dollar value. it's literally $15 to 20 bucks more a week to commute in the type r than the sedan. that's $65 to $85 more a month.

If that's too tight for you there is some serious re-budgeting you need to do...

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I would try and leverage places that give you discounts for frequenting their stations. I think Shell has something like that.

If youre in the Midwest, Hy-Vee has "fuel saver" cards you can use.

Places like Costco have cheaper gas but you have to be a member so that might be a wash.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Amazing that a lot of you think it's only gas prices. SMH. Y'all must be living in a different America than me. Just proves how ignorance is increasing in the human race.
i mean, this thread specifically is about gas prices. Sure, everything else has went up massively but that was not the topic of this thread.

The OP put sooner or later he cant afford to get to work putting in 93 and if putting 87 is okay. Thats only a few dollar difference a month. If that is going to make or break you, its time to look back at your expenses and start budgeting/managing your money better like i mentioned already.

Greggogrecco

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I spoke to honda because it says regular unleaded, premium recommended and I had this same question.

They told me the R as well as all their engines are designed and able to operate with regular unleaded and premium is not required like in the past... so 87 is okay to use in the car and you will not see any issues. I never drive until empty and I typically will do 1 tank of 91/93 every other or every 3rd fill up. I was warned however with 87 you may see a loss in power. But I also drive like a grandma and rarely take the RPMs over 3500/4000 so I dont notice a difference.

Before the gas price spike, the difference between regular and premium for me was .40-.60 cents and now I moved to Utah, in the mountains here they have 85, 87/88, 91 and the difference between 87 and 91 is about 10 cents so I go ahead and pay the extra since I am almost certain 85 is not good for the R and higher octane is better in this colder climate lol.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow... did you really bring race into calling someone a Karen? I really regret coming back to the Civic forums. The levels of ignorance is truly amazing.
Indeed. It’s a racial pejorative used to describe entitled White women who are most often of higher SES. It’s the White-female version of other racially-based pejorative names.

You didn’t know that, still used the term, and called me ignorant? Hmm. ?

K, then you don’t have to be here. ✌?I would hedge my bet that folks here would prefer commenters not use pejorative terms.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
You would without a doubt see a loss in power since the ECU will likely have to retard the timing to accommodate the loss in octane. You will also probably see an increase in knock, which is no bueno. This is a great way to introduce your rod to the engine bay.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I've got to get to work and only have one car-my R. So I have to make it work. As others have said cut back where you can while this is going on.
I don't redline at every redlight so I think using less octane gas could work for me with no long term hidden rod knock (ping) from early detonation using lower octane. If that is still a thing these days.

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag
Indeed. It’s a racial pejorative used to describe entitled White women who are most often of higher SES. It’s the White-female version of other racially-based pejorative names.

You didn’t know that, still used the term, and called me ignorant? Hmm. ?

K, then you don’t have to be here. ✌?I would hedge my bet that folks here would prefer commenters not use pejorative terms.
I'm sure the other commenter knows how/why it's used but didn't expect someone to really feel some type of way about entitled people of a particular background being called Karens? To the point he considers it a racial slur...

Let's all shed a tear for Karens everywhere...smh

Back on topic. I hope this will drive more and more industries to institute or continue to implement work from home policies. Other countries have been feeling the price heat for years but we drive much larger distances and typically with only one person in the car. If less of us have to commute the car becomes more of a luxury expense and a lot more bearable for budgeting.

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
We were spoiled as Americans....the kid gloves are off now LOL

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
I spoke to honda because it says regular unleaded, premium recommended and I had this same question.

They told me the R as well as all their engines are designed and able to operate with regular unleaded and premium is not required like in the past... so 87 is okay to use in the car and you will not see any issues. I never drive until empty and I typically will do 1 tank of 91/93 every other or every 3rd fill up. I was warned however with 87 you may see a loss in power. But I also drive like a grandma and rarely take the RPMs over 3500/4000 so I dont notice a difference.

Before the gas price spike, the difference between regular and premium for me was .40-.60 cents and now I moved to Utah, in the mountains here they have 85, 87/88, 91 and the difference between 87 and 91 is about 10 cents so I go ahead and pay the extra since I am almost certain 85 is not good for the R and higher octane is better in this colder climate lol.
You're better off just driving like a grandma than switching to regular.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I've got to get to work and only have one car-my R. So I have to make it work. As others have said cut back where you can while this is going on.
I don't redline at every redlight so I think using less octane gas could work for me with no long term hidden rod knock (ping) from early detonation using lower octane. If that is still a thing these days.
pre-detonation will forever be a thing, so long as combustion engines exist. I was getting knock retard from winter grade premium fuels, would hate to see what it looks like on 87 o_O

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well...this rolled into the ditch quickly... :) It's over $5/gal for 93 here...I filled up yesterday before the latest price-hike...that will last 5 days...lol...

I'm with @lexro tho...I'll just cut down on buying lunch out until this hopefully blows over. Win/Win...lose weight and be able to afford to drive.

I love my CTR...but...almost seems like I picked the wrong time to shave half my MPG by trading in my Si...and the wife picked the wrong time to shave $9k/yr off her pay...but somehow, we'll get through.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Yall will be ok. Just make some cutbacks in your budget and ride out the wave. I imagine the economy will tank even more due to the high prices. People will travel less and buy less goods/luxuries. It will get worse before it gets better. Always does. Keep your head on a swivel and stay down wind.
Sponsored