GAS2HI

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R & 2006 S2000
Country flag
I’ve run 225/45 R18 (wheel +38) with real snow tires three winters so far and no complaints handling in the snow. Thinner tires are better for cutting through snow. If you’ve driven in the snow before fancy electronics, disable the VSA so you can dig your way out at slow speeds. Added bonus, when you switch back to 20’s, you feel like you have a new nimble car. It really makes you appreciate the car every year.
I had to ditch the 20”wheels/tires because of the God awful roads here in SE Michigan, so I hate to buy another set of wheels to mount winter tires, so that is why I went with all season tires, but I might have to bite the bullet and spring for another set of wheels for dedicated Winter tires... Going to
Play it my ear as I’m retired and if it snow too much, roll over and go back to sleep!!
Sponsored

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had to ditch the 20”wheels/tires because of the God awful roads here in SE Michigan, so I hate to buy another set of wheels to mount winter tires, so that is why I went with all season tires, but I might have to bite the bullet and spring for another set of wheels for dedicated Winter tires... Going to
Play it my ear as I’m retired and if it snow too much, roll over and go back to sleep!!
I love Detroit/Michigan. Such great people out there. Some of the most kind and talented people I’ve met are from there. However, their roads are on par with Massachusetts. Potholes that can eat cars.
Honda Civic 10th gen Is This Winter Combo OK? 41F58A02-0FCD-464D-ABB3-112659780750

OP
OP

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
This is my year around set up for Michigan .. I am running Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4’s . I had A3’s All seasons on my Mini Copper S and good for dry/wet conditions but just OK for heavy snow..my biggest concern is the limited clearance for the front lip ?? Who can comment on how the car deals with snow and ICE that is over 3 inches.. more concerned with ice ruts??
You should think of winter tires as cold temperature tires, not snow tires. I would strongly suggest getting a proper set of winter tires instead of all seasons even if your roads are plowed regularly. Easily the difference between an at-fault rear end collision or not in a panic brake situation.

If you want something for deep snow, you need something with a very blocky tread. Most tires just do not do well there. For packed snow and ice, tires are actually designed with a tighter tread to get packed with snow, as snow-on-snow creates excellent traction.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
On my CTR daily driver, about 7000 miles/yr. for the last two winters have been running Pirelli Sottozeros in the stock size on a second set of used factory wheels which I bought for a grand on eBay. Not cheap tires, but they perform well. Apparently we have above average roads here, few potholes., etc., so not many problems with the low profile tires and they feel so good in the corners.

The winter compound feels a lot different than the summer Contis, not as sticky, a little 'squirmy', perhaps because of the compound and tread, but OK, and an excellent winter tread pattern that provides very good traction in snow.

Probably will get one more summer out of the OEM tires, then thinking of Michelin 4/S in stock size for improved wear, maybe.
Sponsored

Last edited: