JoeShades

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
I bought my ex-t may 3rd. It has 700 miles and oil life says 90% but the letter A is under it which means oil change. That is ridiculous so I went into settings and reset it but now it says B which is oil and filter change. That is even more ridiculous at 700 miles. I tried resetting that but it now says oil life 100% but B still shows. Do I have to take this to the dealer?
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought my ex-t may 3rd. It has 700 miles and oil life says 90% but the letter A is under it which means oil change. That is ridiculous so I went into settings and reset it but now it says B which is oil and filter change. That is even more ridiculous at 700 miles. I tried resetting that but it now says oil life 100% but B still shows. Do I have to take this to the dealer?
Well, you resetting it to where it thinks the maintenance was done when it really wasn't... and brings up the next scheduled maintenance that'd be due. I know of no other way to undo your checks.

Why would you think 90% at 900 miles is ridiculous? That means it's in a range of 81-90% left.

OP
OP

JoeShades

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
No it had the letter A underneath which means oil change is due correct ? That is the ridiculous part.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
No it had the letter A underneath which means oil change is due correct ? That is the ridiculous part.
That is what it was telling you was needed WHEN it was time to do it. You should not have messed with it. Now, it will be completely out of sync. There is a letter and a number that will display for ALL service intervals. The % covers the oil life and ALL service intervals are based on the oil life. So your first visit will be an A1. Your second will be a B1. From there it just goes on and on and will alternate from A to B and then have numbers as high as 9 beside it specifying what should be done based on what the enginerds and marketing wanks figured out.

The difference between the A and the B is A is only oil and B is oil and filter. My dealer service does both all the time and so would I. Especially where Canada counts as a "harsh" environment for operation.

Go read up on how it works before you get too upset with yourself: http://owners.honda.com/servicemaintenance/minder

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So what do I do now ? Just go in when the oil says around 10%
Well, from a software and practical perspective, the best course of action would be to track the mileage manually. Look at going in for your first service at 7000 at the latest and then again at 14000 and again at 21000. Don't reset your minder until you do the third service (Because you have reset it twice already). so that it gets back in sync with all the other planned services that surround the different intervals. The only other but very outside option would be if there was a way to super reset the minder as though it was factory but I don't think Honda would allow that as it could be an avenue for warranty fraud. Just note that you will get angry messages on the Driver Information display below the speed about you being WAY past your change time. Just keep good records in case you need them for a claim for something engine related.

Use the Honda site so you know what should be expected at the third service but otherwise, the first and second are really just oil/filter changes. I think the third is oil/filter, replace engine and cabin filters and inspect and adjust drive belt. I replace air filters myself because seriously... Honda filters are WAY overpriced and they hit you for labor too. Since the maintenance minders came into my life, I take it to the stealership for the things that I don't want to fuss with but anything that is definitively cheaper and super easy (read: lazy), I do. I also go back and forth with summer and winter tires and do that myself so I never pay for tire rotations.

OP
OP

JoeShades

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
can’t the dealer adjust it when i take it in for the first service?

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
can’t the dealer adjust it when i take it in for the first service?
The only other but very outside option would be if there was a way to super reset the minder as though it was factory but I don't think Honda would allow that as it could be an avenue for warranty fraud.
This is why it may not be possible. Ask. The worst you can get is a no.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is why it may not be possible. Ask. The worst you can get is a no.
I should note that it is not that you are asking them to reset it when you have the service. If you do that for the first service with a THIRD maintenance interval logged into the car, then you will be told to do things that you shouldn't be doing until 28,000 miles when you go in for only your second service.

You really need to speak with the dealer service to see what the real deal is going to be. They may be able to just put a permanent note on your vehicle to indicate that the MM was reset too many times and that all service should be whatever the car says but back 3 services.

As much as us dudes don't want to hear this, we all need to read the manual WAY more often than we do.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They should be able to undo your mistaken check offs.

I do know they can reset the periodicity of certain sub-maintnenances. For example, when my Odyssey got a 3x drain and fill for it's ATF, per the TSB directions, they reset the periodicity specific to ATF changes... so that sub-maintnenance code triggers later.

Just tell the dealer what you did and they ought to be able to make it right.

OP
OP

JoeShades

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
Ok I will tell them. I don’t understand why the A comes on well before the service is due. Why not wait until I need it then have it come on

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok I will tell them. I don’t understand why the A comes on well before the service is due. Why not wait until I need it then have it come on
It's just showing what will be due when the time comes. It's just like being able to see what maintenance is coming up in a book. You don't have to wait for the text to appear until you hit 15%... you can see and plan for it. For the DITYer... it gives you months ahead of time to get your filters/fluids based what you'll need next. It won't throw the little wrench icon on startup saying maintenance is coming due until 15%.

ajmaloney97

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T 6MT

I actually work at continental honda as a service advisor. "A" is obliviously the oil change and oil filter. However, even though it shows that, you don't need to worry about it until about 6-7k miles. I replace my oil and filter at 6380 miles. "B" is a multi point inspection on top of an oil change and filter. There are also certain numbers that correspond to certain services. For example, B 1 2 would suggest a multi point, tire rotation (1), and replace engine and pollen air filter (2).

OP
OP

JoeShades

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
I realize that now, but it is too late i reset it, can the dealer fix it?
Sponsored