Maintenance Minder Reminder

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did the first maintenance A around 20% just because I was going to go on a long road trip with my civic so never got to see what the car does when it wants to go back to the dealer for maintenance.

Im now at 40%. At what point does the car tell me "take me back to the dealer for Maintenance B?"

Does this happen at 0% or 10%? Just hoping to get some advance notice because I know the Maintenance B is more comprehensive which is just code for "more expensive".
Sponsored

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
OIL LIFE % MESSAGE WHAT TO DO
15% Service Due Soon Plan to take your vehicle to your local Honda Dealer for Service
5% Service Due Now Take your vehicle to your local Honda Dealer for Service Now.
0% Service Past Due Your vehicle Service is overdue. Take your vehicle to your local Honda Dealer for Service now.

Q: What happens to the Maintenance Minder if I do not perform Maintenance when the remaining life gets to 0%?

A: Once your vehicle reaches 0% the maintenance minder will begin to show negative mileage. This indicates how many miles your vehicle service is past due.

Q: Along with the Wrench Symbol and the Percentage of remaining life, there is sometimes a letter and/or a number displayed-what do they mean?

A: All maintenance items will be displayed in code. There is a main-code and a sub-code. When your Maintenance Minder comes on there will always be a main-code, and at times there will be a sub-code. Please refer to your owner's manual, Honda service History booklet and the following chart to interpret the code:

MAIN-CODE WHAT IT MEANS:
A

Replace just the Engine Oil
B Replace the Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Inspect Front and Rear Brakes, Check the Parking Brake Adjustment, Inspect other items specific to the Vehicle

SUB-CODE WHAT IT MEANS:
Rotate Tires
2 Replace the Air Cleaner Element, Check the Drive Belt, Replace the Dust and Pollen Filter
3 Replace the Transmission Fluid and Transfer Fluid (if equipped)
4 Replace the Spark Plugs, Replace the Timing Belt (if equipped), Inspect the Water Pump, Inspect Valve Clearance
5 Replace the Engine Coolant
6 Replace Rear Differential Fluid (if equipped)

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OIL LIFE % MESSAGE WHAT TO DO
15% Service Due Soon Plan to take your vehicle to your local Honda Dealer for Service
5% Service Due Now Take your vehicle to your local Honda Dealer for Service Now.
0% Service Past Due Your vehicle Service is overdue. Take your vehicle to your local Honda Dealer for Service now.

Q: What happens to the Maintenance Minder if I do not perform Maintenance when the remaining life gets to 0%?

A: Once your vehicle reaches 0% the maintenance minder will begin to show negative mileage. This indicates how many miles your vehicle service is past due.

Q: Along with the Wrench Symbol and the Percentage of remaining life, there is sometimes a letter and/or a number displayed-what do they mean?

A: All maintenance items will be displayed in code. There is a main-code and a sub-code. When your Maintenance Minder comes on there will always be a main-code, and at times there will be a sub-code. Please refer to your owner's manual, Honda service History booklet and the following chart to interpret the code:

MAIN-CODE WHAT IT MEANS:
A

Replace just the Engine Oil
B Replace the Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Inspect Front and Rear Brakes, Check the Parking Brake Adjustment, Inspect other items specific to the Vehicle

SUB-CODE WHAT IT MEANS:
Rotate Tires
2 Replace the Air Cleaner Element, Check the Drive Belt, Replace the Dust and Pollen Filter
3 Replace the Transmission Fluid and Transfer Fluid (if equipped)
4 Replace the Spark Plugs, Replace the Timing Belt (if equipped), Inspect the Water Pump, Inspect Valve Clearance
5 Replace the Engine Coolant
6 Replace Rear Differential Fluid (if equipped)

How we did before the invention of maintenance reminder ? :hmm:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
How we did before the invention of maintenance reminder ? :hmm:
Looked at the owner's manual, duh. :p

Go back far enough and Hondas had little slots in the instrument cluster where you stuck your key to turn off the equivalent maintenance reminder light.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looked at the owner's manual, duh. :p

Go back far enough and Hondas had little slots in the instrument cluster where you stuck your key to turn off the equivalent maintenance reminder light.

Never had Honda car before and no one had maintenance reminder. Maintenance reminder is in my head.
To me, it is a gadget to encourage people to come more often to the dealer and to spend more money.

On the other hand, it can perhaps encourage negligent guys to better maintain their car ?

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Never had Honda car before and no one had maintenance reminder. Maintenance reminder is in my head.
To me, it is a gadget to encourage people to come more often to the dealer and to spend more money.

On the other hand, it can perhaps encourage negligent guys to better maintain their car ?
I don't think it encourages people to go to the dealership more often. There are many threads in this forum where people are concerned about how long / how many miles they can drive before service is due.

In my case, MM reaches 15% after 13,000 km / 9 months. My first service was oil, filter, tire rotation. My second service was oil, filter, tire rotation, brake service. I've never spent so little in the first 2 years of ownership.

MM gets a bad reputation when the dealer recommends a bunch of unnecessary service.
Sponsored