racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
I have a sort of related inquiry about the Maintenance Minder.

I don't go to the Stealership for service. I bring it to the local guy. They are very good and accommodating, and they won't push doing service that is not needed (sadly a major rarity today).

I know they reset the oil life indicator, because after an oil change it will be back on 100%. But what I do not know is if they are resetting anything else. Obviously any Honda sites you go to will say ZOMG DO NOT GO ANYWHERE EXCEPT A HONDA DEALER AND DO NOT USE ANYTHING EXCEPT GENUINE HONDA OVERPRICED FLUIDS AND PARTS.

So therefore I am asking if I should be worried about other items, such as Transmission Fluid and such. I haven't really been giving it much thought until now, just assuming the maintenance minder would tell me if anything was due. But I was not aware that the MM could be fully reset and so now I am a bit concerned that it may not indicate anything when it should. Is there a way to check in the menus when the MM is saying things are due? I will know there is an issue if it says something stupid that doesn't seem to make sense. They should not be resetting anything except the oil life, but until I can go home this afternoon and check I am just grasping at air.

For what it's worth, I have a 2017 EX-T with 24,000 miles on it. I religiously change the oil between every 4 - 5 k and do tire rotations every other oil change.

I don't have a garage, so it is stuck outside in the cold winter and hot summer ...

Thanks
No. They are not resetting other maintenance check points. The MM will let you know when CVT fluid needs replacement, or Brake fluid, or your next oil change or any of the 10 or so items spelled out in the owners manual when its time to replace them.
Sponsored

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
No. They are not resetting other maintenance check points. The MM will let you know when CVT fluid needs replacement, or Brake fluid, or your next oil change or any of the 10 or so items spelled out in the owners manual when its time to replace them.
But is it possible to reset other aspects of the MM or is that something that only Honda can do?

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
This is strange, mine (will be due for the first oil change soon) is showing the KM for oil life (not %).
I do see the A code though but no sub-item at the moment. It shows A- ... I will need to recheck when i get in the car later today.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
You can reset each one separately.
Look item 14 in this thread.
But it doesn't tell you when it was last reset, or how much 'life' there is on any item, but the oil. So, there is no way of knowing anything until the MM decides to tell you.

OP
OP
Dimitron84

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
But it doesn't tell you when it was last reset, or how much 'life' there is on any item, but the oil. So, there is no way of knowing anything until the MM decides to tell you.
This is also what I have a problem with, there should be a percentage for everything, no way to know if maintenance minder is fucked up if you don’t ever get the light, at least if Trans fluid had a percentage you would have an idea when it comes close to time, same with tire rotation, it should have a percentage countdown! That’s all we are saying, we don’t trust the Honda maintenance minder! And Honda saying you should have taken it to a Honda dealer is not an excuse because most of us do our own maintenance on these cars! Just thinking they should have gone a little more in depth with it.

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
I guess I am just going to have to hope that the log I saw posted somewhere that said change the Transmission fluid at 60K miles is somewhat accurate. :thumbsdown:

OP
OP
Dimitron84

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Maybe they will eventually have something that shows it better, I have 35k on the car and it has yet to tell me to rotate tires ‍♂ when I reset oil I press only oil and not all, not sure what's the deal with it, has yours told you to rotate tires?

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
Maybe they will eventually have something that shows it better, I have 35k on the car and it has yet to tell me to rotate tires ‍♂ when I reset oil I press only oil and not all, not sure what's the deal with it, has yours told you to rotate tires?
No it has not, but I do a tire rotation every other oil change. Right now I have 24K mileage. It's a 2017.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
The MM is an algorithm, a set of parameters that govern intervals, it cannot possibly compensate or ever evaluate, just estimate remaining life of fluids, filters etc. I do look at the MM, but set my own schedules based on past experience, the recommendations of my (dealership) mechanic and Honda. My mechanic, who is a personal friend, is also the dealerships lead tech, Honda Master Certified with years of experience. Given my background as a Biomedical Technician maintaining life support equipment, I tend to be a bit more particular and yes, OCD about maintenance, I'd rather be ahead of the curve. I have followed this basic plan with my Gen 10, 9, & 8th gen Hondas:

Oil & filter (I supply M1 EP 0W-20 & M1 filter) Tire rotation every 5k (also Blackstone UOA) also multipoint inspection.
Intake & cabin filters annually or every 10k ( I change these, easy & I use factory filters, usually $30-33 for both)
CVT fluid change every 30k-Honda fluid used
Brake service every 3 years or 30k including DOT4 fluid, caliper cleaning & piston service
Coolant flush & change usually at 40k or 3 years, whichever comes first. Honda coolant
Any other inspection or service my mechanic suggests whenever needed, like turning rotors, de-glazing pads, etc. Admittedly this requires some trust, which I have developed over the last 35 years at this dealership, but I have never been left sitting by any of my Hondas following this, admittedly, somewhat overkill plan.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
At close to 9000 miles I'm now before my second oil change, so the MM shows "Oil life 30% B 1."

It means "when you change the oil next time at 15%, also replace the oil filter and rotate the tires (and inspect a bunch of things)."

So it does tell me to rotate the tires. I'm quite sure the 1 was there already since ~5000 miles or so. Probably before my first oil change when I ignored it.

The service as recommended by MM is supposed to occur only at oil changes. It never alerts you or requires you to do anything between oil changes. It also doesn't give any percentages of anything else besides oil, because none of these things are any more critical than +- 10,000 miles. When the "1" appears, it doesn't mean "rotate the tires now" but "rotate the tires at the next oil change". Of course if you want to rotate the tires more often, you can do it at any time. MM is only meant to prevent the owner from never rotating tires, but the intervals of tire rotation are not specific to Honda, so MM has nothing special to say here. I'm quite sure it doesn't depend on how much you accelerate, turn or brake.

But your MM should be showing the "1" by now, if it doesn't, then either it was erased by someone, or there is some malfunction (which doesn't seem likely).

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
The MM is an algorithm, a set of parameters that govern intervals, it cannot possibly compensate or ever evaluate, just estimate remaining life of fluids, filters etc. I do look at the MM, but set my own schedules based on past experience, the recommendations of my (dealership) mechanic and Honda. My mechanic, who is a personal friend, is also the dealerships lead tech, Honda Master Certified with years of experience. Given my background as a Biomedical Technician maintaining life support equipment, I tend to be a bit more particular and yes, OCD about maintenance, I'd rather be ahead of the curve. I have followed this basic plan with my Gen 10, 9, & 8th gen Hondas:

Oil & filter (I supply M1 EP 0W-20 & M1 filter) Tire rotation every 5k (also Blackstone UOA) also multipoint inspection.
Intake & cabin filters annually or every 10k ( I change these, easy & I use factory filters, usually $30-33 for both)
CVT fluid change every 30k-Honda fluid used
Brake service every 3 years or 30k including DOT4 fluid, caliper cleaning & piston service
Coolant flush & change usually at 40k or 3 years, whichever comes first. Honda coolant
Any other inspection or service my mechanic suggests whenever needed, like turning rotors, de-glazing pads, etc. Admittedly this requires some trust, which I have developed over the last 35 years at this dealership, but I have never been left sitting by any of my Hondas following this, admittedly, somewhat overkill plan.
I think they have been up on the air filter, but I will have to look at my past bills ..

It might just be the oil filter I am thinking of and not the air filter ...
Sponsored