Maintenance minder question

KneelRays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Took my 2016 EX - T for its first free oil change at the dealership @5000 miles. The percentage shows 40% with an A 1 below it.

Basically after the service was done i get the car back and to my surprise it still shows 40% A 1.

Showed the tech and he said they forgot to reset it and showed me how to do it through the system settings in the car.

NOW my question is, what is the use of this percentage and letter reminders if i can just reset it any time? i would think the percentage is automatically linked so when i do a service it resets everything according to how the car reads itself (?)

Im a little confused about this maintenance minder can someone educate me im sure im missing something here
Sponsored

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
The car doesn't "know" you changed the oil. The minder is simply a way of keeping tabs on your maintenance. You reset it after you performed the suggested maintenance. The car doesn't detect new oil and automatically reset it for you.

And yeah, if you just reset it without actually doing the service it recommends then ... you kind of undermine the purpose of it because the percentages will be off. But no, the percentage isn't automatically linked and you must manually reset it yourself.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
It has to be manually reset. It's not a diagnostic computer, it doesn't "read itself." It's essentially a calculator that takes into account your driving habits and time since last maintenance, and "estimates" what services it thinks you should get, before reminding you.

If, for example, you use high quality synthetic oil, you can ignore MM as long as you keep records for warranty purposes.

For me, it told me to rotate my tires. But since I put on winter tires a month ago, I ignored it. It's things like that.

OP
OP
KneelRays

KneelRays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for the quick info! Now that makes more sense for the next one that i can DIY. Closing this thread

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Took my 2016 EX - T for its first free oil change at the dealership @5000 miles. The percentage shows 40% with an A 1 below it.

Basically after the service was done i get the car back and to my surprise it still shows 40% A 1.

Showed the tech and he said they forgot to reset it and showed me how to do it through the system settings in the car.

NOW my question is, what is the use of this percentage and letter reminders if i can just reset it any time? i would think the percentage is automatically linked so when i do a service it resets everything according to how the car reads itself (?)

Im a little confused about this maintenance minder can someone educate me im sure im missing something here
Its a much less expensive system than some car manufacturers... Were if you wanna do your own oil changes you have to buy a key for $500 or so to reset it.. All hondas since the mm system was implemented reset like this..

Also lets say you dont change your oil.. I do everytime.. But my brother doesnt.. But it annoys him when it pops up on there.. Especially once its at 5% as the warning light does not go away.. So he can simply reset it and not be annoyed..

Yes hes an idiot... But surprisingly he did get a car to over 100k without changing the oil.. Looked really good in the exterior and interior.. He got kbb for the car np... I feel bad for whoever repurchased it. But whatever.. I just think of... I wonder what the sludge and grime was actually holding togetger at this point...

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Its a much less expensive system than some car manufacturers... Were if you wanna do your own oil changes you have to buy a key for $500 or so to reset it.. All hondas since the mm system was implemented reset like this..

Also lets say you dont change your oil.. I do everytime.. But my brother doesnt.. But it annoys him when it pops up on there.. Especially once its at 5% as the warning light does not go away.. So he can simply reset it and not be annoyed..

Yes hes an idiot... But surprisingly he did get a car to over 100k without changing the oil.. Looked really good in the exterior and interior.. He got kbb for the car np... I feel bad for whoever repurchased it. But whatever.. I just think of... I wonder what the sludge and grime was actually holding togetger at this point...

This is why carfax in my opinion are worthless by the way.. If i purchase used.. I wanna see the receipts.. Only time this will happen will be for my daughters first car.. However i will be looking for a late 90's honda that i could do a engine swap in.. And once she does het her first new car after that im gonna mod the hell out of it.. 700hp rocket for less than 10k... Its crazy what they are doing with the older civics and such nowadays..
Sponsored