Maintenance minder

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Ok thanks !
The other thing is that it really shouldn't matter you reset it three times. There so not order that everything will appear as a maintenance item. So really the car just thinks you got three oil changes in 700 miles. It doesn't effect the interval of any other codes.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
The other thing is that it really shouldn't matter you reset it three times. There so not order that everything will appear as a maintenance item. So really the car just thinks you got three oil changes in 700 miles. It doesn't effect the interval of any other codes.
Well that is the part that someone that knows the system intimately needs to answer. If you read the guide in your manual or get the service guide brochure from the service dept, it actually has to tell you, the owner, that if you are driving in certain conditions to do certain services more frequently. This is a strong indicator that the maintenance minder only watches fluids and that all other noted items are indeed on a set order service interval.

The OP just simply needs to go to their dealership and ask.

Iris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX-P, 2007 Volvo S40
I had oil and filter changed at 1000 miles last July $46 with ow-20 full synthetic oil at the Honda Dealer. Drive mostly local. Park in the garage. It is about 4000 miles. The maintenance B1, wretch icon and oil left 15% are on. I checked the oil. It indicates 50% on the stick not 15% showed on the display.

I drove to the dealer. They said I needed to do maintenance including oil and filter change. I don't understand that I drove only about 3000 miles since last oil change. The dealer said I could still drive until it shows 5% oil left to do oil change and maintenance. The other guy said the previous dealer didn't do reset when the first oil change. Confused!!!

1. How the oil indicates the 50% at the stick, but the display shows 15% oil left?

2. Any standard mileage or months or years to do maintenance or just follow what the display tells you? my car has only 4000 miles with once oil and filter change?

3. How much to do B1?

Much appreciate your input. Wish I majored engineering back then.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had oil and filter changed at 1000 miles last July $46 with ow-20 full synthetic oil at the Honda Dealer. Drive mostly local. Park in the garage. It is about 4000 miles. The maintenance B1, wretch icon and oil left 15% are on. I checked the oil. It indicates 50% on the stick not 15% showed on the display.

I drove to the dealer. They said I needed to do maintenance including oil and filter change. I don't understand that I drove only about 3000 miles since last oil change. The dealer said I could still drive until it shows 5% oil left to do oil change and maintenance. The other guy said the previous dealer didn't do reset when the first oil change. Confused!!!

1. How the oil indicates the 50% at the stick, but the display shows 15% oil left?

2. Any standard mileage or months or years to do maintenance or just follow what the display tells you? my car has only 4000 miles with once oil and filter change?

3. How much to do B1?

The maintenance minder shows the oil LIFE % remaining, not the oil level. The oil level shouldn't vary significantly between oil changes.

If you are driving under normal conditions, then you should follow the recommendations of the maintenance minder for service.

ajmaloney97

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T 6MT

3. How much to do B1?

B1 is $175 + tax and shop charges.

Iris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The maintenance minder shows the oil LIFE % remaining, not the oil level. The oil level shouldn't vary significantly between oil changes.

If you are driving under normal conditions, then you should follow the recommendations of the maintenance minder for service.
Thank you for correcting me. Please bear me both as a "smart" woman with no knowledge about car and English as my second language. :)

Iris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B1 is $175 + tax and shop charges.
Thank you for the info. I think SF Bay Area will charge the same for B1. I thought I would do it when it hits 5% oil life. Or wonder if I can do B1 at other shop instead of Honda Dealer (too expensive).

I wonder why I have B1 appears when the millage is just 4000 miles with once oil and filter changed at 1000 miles. I haven't seen anyone who has to do B1 at such low mileage? I live in a nice SF suburbs. Drive normal or slow as old lady and locally. Parked at garage.

The guy said it might the previous dealer didn't do reset after oil change. But 3000 miles driving with full synthetic oil has 15% life doesn't sound right for me.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I wonder why I have B1 appears when the millage is just 4000 miles with once oil and filter changed at 1000 miles. I haven't seen anyone who has to do B1 at such low mileage? I live in a nice SF suburbs. Drive normal or slow as old lady and locally. Parked at garage.
See this is precisely the issue that I feared existing for the original poster. The maintenance minder does not track the need for the non-oil change items. It only alternates based on the frequency of the reset of the maintenance minder. So follow this scenario.

You changed your oil rather early for the first time then reset your mm. This told the non-oil item to increment. The first MM item is A1. The second is B1. Specifically, the B is for oil AND filter and the A is only supposed to be oil. I live in Canada so we change both every time. However, you will have had only 6000 miles at the second change if you go to 5%. The B service also includes the inspection of a lot of the primary wear areas of the vehicle mechanicals such as brakes, steering components and all other fluid levels. Something that for me, will not happen until almost 15,000 miles. And I live in Canada which classes as a harsh environment and I also almost totally city drive. My first change was at 7200 miles. (The 1 in the service is tire rotation which means they would be rotating your tires FAR sooner than is of benefit)

Then they will reset your MM again and it will be on to the next planned non-oil item which will likely be just a tire rotation so you would get an A1. It could be an A2 but usually the 4th service works out to being a B2. The 2 is the replacement of your engine and cabin air filters. So you will simply be told by the car to change these early.

It is certainly not the end of the world but as an average vehicle owner, the whole point of MM is to take the need for you to track your mileage and your maintenance items. Honda was the first to really pioneer grouped item maintenance intervals and previous to the maintenance minder system, the intervals were wrapped around 3500miles/6000KMs for your oil change. Everything else locked in on certain multiples of that for things like transmission fluid or belts or air filters. As vehicles have become far more reliable (Even non-Japanese ones), the maintenance schedules stretched further and further out on a lot of items. Spark plugs used to be every year or so. Now, most people will never change them in the time they own a car. I am at 130,000 km on our 2010 CRV and still on factory plugs. Fewer and fewer parts are replaced on modern cars as well. Spark plug wires, distributor caps and rotor buttons are all gone and replaced by electronic ignition systems. Most 4 cylinder engines are now back to using timing chains so there is no longer an expensive timing belt change at about 105,000 miles.

So the general advice that I would give is to follow the maintenance minder to the tee and if you have services done other than at Honda, just make sure to keep the records.

As the owner of the car, you should still do the regular checkup items that have been around for decades.Those being:
  • Check your oil every few weeks with once a month being the least frequent so you are not caught off guard with an unknown oil leak or consumption issue (Yes, the new orange tip is a pain and is hard to read and the thin oil runs right off it fast)
  • Check or refill your washer fluid frequently so you aren't without when you need it the most
  • Check the pressure in your tires even before TPMS says to (The pressure drop needed to set off TPMS is quite a lot and is likely more on the lite systems that don't have sensors in the tires. The Civic has the lite system.)
  • Walk all around your car at least once a week to just be sure there is not something that has come lose either from assembly issues or from impacts to your car in parking lots that you may not be aware of
  • Clean your windshield by hand every so often to get the road grime off properly
  • Check your brake fluid once in a while and definitely consider it a good idea to do before a long drive

Cars aren't really investments but it is a good idea to take care of such an expensive item in your life that you expect to perform for you reliably and in a way that you need when you need it most.

OP
OP

JoeShades

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
For 17 years with my 01 Civic, I changed the oil every 7,000 miles or so and had a multi point inspection , that worked out pretty well so I think I will just keep doing that. the only major problem other than normal wear and tear was key getting stuck in the ignition.

Iris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See this is precisely the issue that I feared existing for the original poster. The maintenance minder does not track the need for the non-oil change items. It only alternates based on the frequency of the reset of the maintenance minder. So follow this scenario.

You changed your oil rather early for the first time then reset your mm. This told the non-oil item to increment. The first MM item is A1. The second is B1. Specifically, the B is for oil AND filter and the A is only supposed to be oil. I live in Canada so we change both every time. However, you will have had only 6000 miles at the second change if you go to 5%. The B service also includes the inspection of a lot of the primary wear areas of the vehicle mechanicals such as brakes, steering components and all other fluid levels. Something that for me, will not happen until almost 15,000 miles. And I live in Canada which classes as a harsh environment and I also almost totally city drive. My first change was at 7200 miles. (The 1 in the service is tire rotation which means they would be rotating your tires FAR sooner than is of benefit)

Then they will reset your MM again and it will be on to the next planned non-oil item which will likely be just a tire rotation so you would get an A1. It could be an A2 but usually the 4th service works out to being a B2. The 2 is the replacement of your engine and cabin air filters. So you will simply be told by the car to change these early.

It is certainly not the end of the world but as an average vehicle owner, the whole point of MM is to take the need for you to track your mileage and your maintenance items. Honda was the first to really pioneer grouped item maintenance intervals and previous to the maintenance minder system, the intervals were wrapped around 3500miles/6000KMs for your oil change. Everything else locked in on certain multiples of that for things like transmission fluid or belts or air filters. As vehicles have become far more reliable (Even non-Japanese ones), the maintenance schedules stretched further and further out on a lot of items. Spark plugs used to be every year or so. Now, most people will never change them in the time they own a car. I am at 130,000 km on our 2010 CRV and still on factory plugs. Fewer and fewer parts are replaced on modern cars as well. Spark plug wires, distributor caps and rotor buttons are all gone and replaced by electronic ignition systems. Most 4 cylinder engines are now back to using timing chains so there is no longer an expensive timing belt change at about 105,000 miles.

So the general advice that I would give is to follow the maintenance minder to the tee and if you have services done other than at Honda, just make sure to keep the records.

As the owner of the car, you should still do the regular checkup items that have been around for decades.Those being:
  • Check your oil every few weeks with once a month being the least frequent so you are not caught off guard with an unknown oil leak or consumption issue (Yes, the new orange tip is a pain and is hard to read and the thin oil runs right off it fast)
  • Check or refill your washer fluid frequently so you aren't without when you need it the most
  • Check the pressure in your tires even before TPMS says to (The pressure drop needed to set off TPMS is quite a lot and is likely more on the lite systems that don't have sensors in the tires. The Civic has the lite system.)
  • Walk all around your car at least once a week to just be sure there is not something that has come lose either from assembly issues or from impacts to your car in parking lots that you may not be aware of
  • Clean your windshield by hand every so often to get the road grime off properly
  • Check your brake fluid once in a while and definitely consider it a good idea to do before a long drive

Cars aren't really investments but it is a good idea to take care of such an expensive item in your life that you expect to perform for you reliably and in a way that you need when you need it most.

Iris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you very much for your educational post and your time. I certainly have learned a lot from your reply.

I did the first oil change at the Honda Dealer where I bought the car based on the reading online regarding a brand new car. I have never had A1 appears until yesterday B1 showed on the dashboard. From my understanding, I should just follow what the car tells me to do. Such as now I need B1 although I don't think so. Then everything will be in order?

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
do you guys just keep the reciepts for you oil when you do the changes yourself? also how do you record the mulipoint inspections and such when you do them yourself?

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
do you guys just keep the reciepts for you oil when you do the changes yourself? also how do you record the mulipoint inspections and such when you do them yourself?
I keep all the receipts and I actually record video of everything I do. I'm not taking any chances on them trying to say I didn't do something or that something i did caused any issues.
Sponsored