Injen Intake for 10th Gen 2016 Civic Turbo: Huge Power Gains!

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes I have read the entire thread already... My question is I want more power when I go around corner, and I need to hit the gas immideatly as there is a car behind me, will this this short ram version help me? I saw here said that it really kicks in at 4000 rpm, I might be wrong but for my purpose wouldn't I need it at lower rpm than that??? I'm sorry for my lack of any knowledge as I am a complete novice... If anyone can explain to me what the air intake will do for me, I would be very appreciative.
A cold air intake is not putting a new turbo on and cranking the boost up. You're going to feel the "butt dyno" effect when you first put it on, but it's not going to shave seconds off your 1/4 mile. Yes, you will get more power from an intake. You'll get more power from ripping out the factory exhaust and putting a catless 2.5-3" exhaust on the car. You'll get even more when somebody puts out a programmer to adjust the tune. This car/engine is too new for any of this stuff to be developed yet. There will be turbo upgrades and more go-fast stuff soon enough. If power is your goal, the basic staples for upgrading a turbo car are intake, intercooler, exhaust, and programer.

As for your horn question. Go buy another horn and wire it in. I'm a Subaru guy, so I have Hella Supertones. Things are loud, but still sound stupid.
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
they should be more worried on how much power can the cvt handle

gregprep29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta TDI (waiting for my buy back)
Country flag
A cold air intake is not putting a new turbo on and cranking the boost up. You're going to feel the "butt dyno" effect when you first put it on, but it's not going to shave seconds off your 1/4 mile. Yes, you will get more power from an intake. You'll get more power from ripping out the factory exhaust and putting a catless 2.5-3" exhaust on the car. You'll get even more when somebody puts out a programmer to adjust the tune. This car/engine is too new for any of this stuff to be developed yet. There will be turbo upgrades and more go-fast stuff soon enough. If power is your goal, the basic staples for upgrading a turbo car are intake, intercooler, exhaust, and programer.

As for your horn question. Go buy another horn and wire it in. I'm a Subaru guy, so I have Hella Supertones. Things are loud, but still sound stupid.

I agree with this, and honestly, find it a little hard to believe that those gains are accurate without changing the variables. How could Honda, one of the biggest auto companies in the world, build a car that was that restrictive that you would see a 30-35 hp gain at the crank on a small 1.5 liter engine? That's like a 15-20% gain in hp. And I get that they have to do certain things to meet emissions, sound reductions to appeal to the masses, etc., but in VW world, an intake is one of the last mods that are done, if at all. I upgraded my turbo on my GTI and the absolute last things I did was upgrade my intake because i literally had upgraded everything else. With an ecu tune and even bolted on turbos, VW's see like 8-10 hp at the crank on the 2.0T model. This isn't 40 years ago when there weren't MAF sensors and incredibly smart ecu's. Maybe since this is Honda's first real attempt into the turbo world they haven't figured everything out yet, or they build the most restrictive air filter of all time, but I just find it hard to believe you could pull that much power out of it. That said, when I pick up my civic, if there's no other mods available yet, I'll probably pick one up just to feed my internal mod beast.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
I haven't bought a cotton or foam filter since reading this a few years ago:
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

And with the low airflow of this engine, I would believe (as some have claimed) if it didn't actually make any difference in power over the stock airbox, from airflow. However, I can see where using this might give you a few HP just by bringing in colder air; or at least keep your HP from dropping as much as your engine heats up and/or on hot days. Unless the stock intake already does that.

Can you guys make a NON-CAI? CAI are perfect for NA, but for turbo applications, you would want the shortest distance of piping from the intake filter to the turbo to produce the best flow. CAI is useless when an intercooler is there to help the cooling.
I don't think that's true. The colder, the better. An IC can only do so much. It's mainly to re-cool after heat created from compression. Going beyond that can only help.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Yes, Tcaudo (member on here, scroll up the page) loves his, this is the only mod at the moment for the 1.5T and is well worth the price of $250 I believe. Read this thread lots of mostly good info lol, but take everything you read on here with a grain of salt.
Remember, your car also feels faster after you wash it. Just saying.

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ProCivic, I'm surprised you haven't made a post about the injen axle back exhaust as well.

Personally, I want a lifetime warranty on my aftermarket parts, so I'll be waiting for a borla/Tanabe/hks exhaust. Also still waiting for that short ram intake...

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
HKS Exhaust Systems Four years after purchase The warranty period of the metal catalyzers, front pipes, exhaust manifolds, and center pipes are one year after purchase.

even if it has a lifetime warranty, i doubt it will cover a blow out of muffler or resonator packing since its a wear and tear part

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Before we dismiss the gains, know there are platforms out there that respond extremely well to basic mods. As I mentioned earlier, the MS3 uses Torque mapping via MAF calibrations. Our factory intake is the size of a silver dollar; an 3" intake alone is good for a 12% gain (24 WHP).

We need to know how Honda tuned the 1.5T before we chalk it up to placebo effect.

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Before we dismiss the gains, know there are platforms out there that respond extremely well to basic mods. As I mentioned earlier, the MS3 uses Torque mapping via MAF calibrations. Our factory intake is the size of a silver dollar; an 3" intake alone is good for a 12% gain (24 WHP).

We need to know how Honda tuned the 1.5T before we chalk it up to placebo effect.
MS3 also has a much larger engine that puts out more HP in general from the factory.
People should view gains as a percentage of the output, not pure numbers. a 23whp gain is mighty impressive from a sub 2 liter engine. But on a LS7? maybe that is just ok.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think most of us with knowledge are looking at % over baseline. Gains on FI platforms are more a function of PSI than anything else. I haven't looked at the resonator design; but I suspect Honda sacrificed flow at higher RPM for throttle response at 1-3K. And the dyno graph doesn't really tell us what's happening there (nor should it).

I'm willing to dismiss the higher variances due to a combination of CVT and tuning. But most of us agree that a single dyno isn't indicative of actual performance. So we'll keep an open mind and wait for more data.

biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport, 98 Civic Dx (turbo/Blown), 98 Civic Ex (Blown), 87 CRX HF, 94 F150 302
Yes I have read the entire thread already... My question is I want more power when I go around corner, and I need to hit the gas immideatly as there is a car behind me, will this this short ram version help me? I saw here said that it really kicks in at 4000 rpm, I might be wrong but for my purpose wouldn't I need it at lower rpm than that??? I'm sorry for my lack of any knowledge as I am a complete novice... If anyone can explain to me what the air intake will do for me, I would be very appreciative.
Once a tune comes out that helps throttle response that will make 1000x more difference than just an intake. The intake would probably help too, though, and if they dyno's are to be believed (I'm still waiting for the manual trans dyno) then you should gain a sizable chunk of midrange torque with the intake which will help a ton in situations like you describe.

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
Also... The horn on this car is just plain silly, like a clown car at a circus silly... anyone can point me in direction to where and how I can put in a decent sounding horn?
Haha! :)

Wish I could recommend something for you...

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
ProCivic, I'm surprised you haven't made a post about the injen axle back exhaust as well.

Personally, I want a lifetime warranty on my aftermarket parts, so I'll be waiting for a borla/Tanabe/hks exhaust. Also still waiting for that short ram intake...
We do have the exhaust system available for purchase right now (it is in production), we just felt it was too close to the release of this intake to do another large post on another Injen part.

I'll update this thread once Injen releases the short ram intake as well.

hondabuildquality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Yes, Tcaudo (member on here, scroll up the page) loves his, this is the only mod at the moment for the 1.5T and is well worth the price of $250 I believe. Read this thread lots of mostly good info lol, but take everything you read on here with a grain of salt.
Just keep in mind there is no evidence of the 29HP claim that you shouldn't take with a grain of salt. DYNO'ing a CVT is possible, but introduces a lot of problems and just trusting CVT DYNO numbers without question is pretty much extremely naive, like saying to the world, "I am not a car person, I also cannot use Google, and I may have poor logical reasoning skills."

I would trust the anecdotal evidence given by the people here who have purchased the intake more than the DYNO chart, and it is for good reason. A a 17% power increase in a usable RPM range without adding very much weight at all is pretty big and you would be able to feel that.

But until two cars lineup (I don't know why they haven't done that already), someone takes it to a drag strip, or they DYNO a manual there is no one can guarantee the claim is true or not.

tcaudo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t

An intake doesn't add boost or shave off seconds on the 1/4 mile but it could shave off tenths and i think it has added a few mph on the trap. Im not saying the car is a fast car now but i feel a difference and its not the "a clean car feels faster" placebo bs. I understand the car has a small 1.5 in it but its proven an intake helps out the k20s in 8th gen si or rsx type s. i think this 1.5 turbo can see the same or even better gains from bolt ons just like the k20. Size does matter but honda always has proven they can do a lot with a little. I cant wait to see aftermarket downpipe and hondata flashpro results next
Sponsored