Infotainment Failure

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Congrats! I’m thrilled for you.

Same lame didn’t get the memo here from dealer, no swaps unless total catastrophic failure.

Great way to end the 3 year warranty period 1 Oct., 26k miles.

Trans still grinds intermittently 1 to 2, routinely locks out 5 to 4.

Today I had to reboot Infotainment (stuck in connect cycle) but with ACP & Carlink 3.0 that’s a monthly hiccup vs daily so Carlink does help but won’t fix.

Fingers crossed yours remain trouble free. 🎉
Thanks! Wow - I haven't experienced those other issues (knock on wood). I was shocked that they agreed to it...I had bitched a few times...they said they were 'looking into it' (stealership-speak for go pound sand)...and I didn't hear back from them, so I'd nudge every now & then. I sent them videos of the circus...and then they said that Honda Tech said to replace it. I was leery...and didn't know if it would matter...but...seems to have resolved the problem.

I know others had said they were getting it replaced, but then no one ever said one way or another if it made a difference... Mine, at least, seems to have.
Sponsored

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks! Wow - I haven't experienced those other issues (knock on wood). I was shocked that they agreed to it...I had bitched a few times...they said they were 'looking into it' (stealership-speak for go pound sand)...and I didn't hear back from them, so I'd nudge every now & then. I sent them videos of the circus...and then they said that Honda Tech said to replace it. I was leery...and didn't know if it would matter...but...seems to have resolved the problem.

I know others had said they were getting it replaced, but then no one ever said one way or another if it made a difference... Mine, at least, seems to have.
Thanks! I reported the issue over a dozen times under warranty but bet they say too late now even if the wanted as Honda will say no, worth one last try.

Keep us posted please. 🤓

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks! I reported the issue over a dozen times under warranty but bet they say too late now even if the wanted as Honda will say no, worth one last try.

Keep us posted please. 🤓
Well, for one..you reported it...multiple times while it was still in warranty - hence you met your obligation and they failed to resolve it. Next...you can use my experience to say 'See?? Other dealers are handling it this way...'

If they want - have them contact Bobby Rahal Honda in State College, PA....talk to the service manager there - he's the one I've been dealing with, and he's the one who got them to do the swap.

One curiosity on my end - all of my 'favorited' stations were still set - even on Sirius XM (and I know for a fact that's a different radio number, so they must have changed it out). Maybe those are stored not in the head unit, itself, or, they backed it up somehow and migrated them to the new/replaced one...

I won't question it...it's working...even if they just updated the firmware...no matter...it works...

viciousknish

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic Ex Coupe, 2007 Civic Si Sedan, 2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Congrats! I’m thrilled for you.

Same lame didn’t get the memo here from dealer, no swaps unless total catastrophic failure.

Great way to end the 3 year warranty period 1 Oct., 26k miles.

Trans still grinds intermittently 1 to 2, routinely locks out 5 to 4.

Today I had to reboot Infotainment (stuck in connect cycle) but with ACP & Carlink 3.0 that’s a monthly hiccup vs daily so Carlink does help but won’t fix.

Fingers crossed yours remain trouble free. 🎉
What version of iOS is your phone on?

viciousknish

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
iOS 15.6.1
IPhone 13 Pro Max
I would update to 16.0.2. I have not had a problem since I updated and I have a head unit with the older part number and firmware 3 revisions back.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would update to 16.0.2. I have not had a problem since I updated and I have a head unit with the older part number and firmware 3 revisions back.
This seems to be all over the board...my iPhone was at 16.0.2 (now 16.0.3) and I still had issues...these sorts of things are like Ghosts in the machine...can't narrow it down like you should be able to.

viciousknish

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It’s
This seems to be all over the board...my iPhone was at 16.0.2 (now 16.0.3) and I still had issues...these sorts of things are like Ghosts in the machine...can't narrow it down like you should be able to.
It’s worth a shot. Just like the replacement worked for you so far, the iOS update worked for me…so far…knock on wood…

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It’s

It’s worth a shot. Just like the replacement worked for you so far, the iOS update worked for me…so far…knock on wood…
Oh yeah - I wasn't criticizing....just commenting on how maddening the entire situation is...but of course - try EVERYTHING at your disposal to do. Like I said - ghosts in the machine...probably different bugs doing the same thing.

viciousknish

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh yeah - I wasn't criticizing....just commenting on how maddening the entire situation is...but of course - try EVERYTHING at your disposal to do. Like I said - ghosts in the machine...probably different bugs doing the same thing.
Well, I spoke too soon…All was working perfect for a couple of weeks with iOS 16.0.2. Then I upgraded to 16.0.3 and now CarPlay won’t even start at all! I get a “not supported” error on the head unit. Unreal.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My iPhone 6 I keep in the car with no sim-just for music-started working perfectly with iOS 15.2? I’ve left it alone-before that version the combination of that phone and earlier iOS versions with the radio was utter garbage as far as reliability. I’ll never update it.

sorry to hear your having problems again. Can you go backwards?

viciousknish

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My iPhone 6 I keep in the car with no sim-just for music-started working perfectly with iOS 15.2? I’ve left it alone-before that version the combination of that phone and earlier iOS versions with the radio was utter garbage as far as reliability. I’ll never update it.

sorry to hear your having problems again. Can you go backwards?
So I wrote what I did above after trying the usual fixes of removing the device pairing / re-add, disabling Bluetooth etc, no dice. But now I just did some googling and found a lot of other people with other car brands having issues. Turns out that you must have Siri enabled and if you have a vpn client installed, it causes some issues. I reenabled Siri and deleted my vpn client. All seems to be back to normal and working properly with 16.0.3. I will need to do some long road tests to confirm it’s stability.

I could go back to an older version of iOS had I taken a local PC backup with ITunes. I did not do that. I should probably start before doing any updates.

thatcaveman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
The problem is that there are too many bugs. The problems I have are:

1. Speed Compensated Volume does not work
  2. Interference noise on the audio from poor EMF filtering
  3. Music, Navigation, Phone, and other info screens no longer work on the On Screen Display of the instrument cluster
  4. Vehicle maintenance reminder screens no longer work. Need to change car model to access, but still does not provide all the controls
  5. A/C and heat controls only show Centigrade and not Fahrenheit even though I set it to Fahrenheit
  6. A/C and heat control display info pops up over and over again without making any changes. Need to turn off A/C info off to make it stop popping up, but then you cannot see what the settings are.
  7. Delay Power Off When ACC Off does not work
Does the nav still come out of the center speaker? Is the interfearence that bad on the audio?

I'm looking to upgrade to the 9 inch Joying, but those are the only two things that would bug me if I were to switch.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, I spoke too soon…All was working perfect for a couple of weeks with iOS 16.0.2. Then I upgraded to 16.0.3 and now CarPlay won’t even start at all! I get a “not supported” error on the head unit. Unreal.
Wow! That sucks! I didn't have any issues with 16.0.3 (but that was after the swap). This is just a crappy situation, for sure. First off, I never thought I'd spend this much on a vehicle (but I'm old, so I remember when a cadillac was like $10k)....and second, now that I have spent this much on a vehicle...I'd expect that EVERYTHING would work as it should.

I mentioned that to the stealership (although, to be fair, I've had no bad experiences with my Honda dealer).

I'd keep going back at them and tell them it's a POS head unit and you want it replaced....if you've still got warranty left, especially....

Good luck!

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
So I wrote what I did above after trying the usual fixes of removing the device pairing / re-add, disabling Bluetooth etc, no dice. But now I just did some googling and found a lot of other people with other car brands having issues. Turns out that you must have Siri enabled and if you have a vpn client installed, it causes some issues. I reenabled Siri and deleted my vpn client. All seems to be back to normal and working properly with 16.0.3. I will need to do some long road tests to confirm it’s stability.

I could go back to an older version of iOS had I taken a local PC backup with ITunes. I did not do that. I should probably start before doing any updates.
If this phone were my daily I would do what you've done, whatever is necessary to keep it stable.
However the phone I'm using is an old one only for the R.
Nice detective work.
Sponsored