Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Was
Car brokers won't get a better offer than what we are getting. We spent hours doing this. We are committed and it will pay off in the end. We know the type R market better than than them.
I'm currently in talks about getting a SGP at MSRP that will arrive soon and I gave my CC info to reserve it. They haven't actually charged me though. I'm still waiting for their all too common dirty trick that hasn't appeared yet.
Was this the one being sold at Thomas Team Honda?
Sponsored

Tbreezyfk8

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BB FK8; 2018 Civic Si HFP (Sold); 21 Mercedes A-Class
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guys you can try and go beyond the sales person. Find the email of the sales manager. Its usually advertised in there own website. Explain to him or her that you printed out an advertised price and u expect them to honor it. It would mean a lot to you to own a type-r and you can give them good props around the web through forums and social media and will recommend so u guys can get repeat business. That is what I did to get my bbp here in socal for msrp. Good luck!
you really have to hunt and put in the effort. I managed to get a BBP out of state for $39k. Unfortunately for those looking in State (Cali) you wont find hardly ANY 2020s @MSRP without ADM.

JustAddBeer

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP CTR
Country flag
In FL Gary Smith Honda at MSRP + $10k.

Very nice people, good service.

I flew one way and bought my Type R next day in ATL at Gwinnett Place Honda at MSRP (slightly below if you include add ons not charged like tint, edge guards, cargo tray, paint & fab prot). Easy, integrity upheld.

I went back to home GSH dealer and bought W&T damage policy Next day.

Pwesto! (harelip magician?), saved $9,700.
When they told me there was a 10k addendum I asked if it could time travel.

ā€œmark ups on these is normalā€ 10k? Eeesh

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When they told me there was a 10k addendum I asked if it could time travel.

ā€œmark ups on these is normalā€ 10k? Eeesh
I could understand some dealers ADM of $1k (my threshold, armed with MSRP dealer list found here) or at most $3k, all depends on what youā€™re willing to pay, supply and (dealer) Iā€™ll put out my hand. I donā€™t think our local thought I was serious and wanted to say something high to see how motivated I was. I was wrong though, met someone else told same +10k for red ā€˜19, not scarce as some colors. Itā€™s not 2017 anymore.

Dealer I bought from had 3! Red, silver/gunmetal (I forget the right name) and SGP they wanted $1,500 more for (less lot time and new color).

I respect SGP lovers choice but itā€™s not for me so I apologize now. If you like it I recommend moving to the next post.

////DANGER\\\\\
SGP fans, proceed at own risk!

Interior showroom lighting made SGP seem like primer gray with coffee creamer added,.... out of the bog fog emerged the ā€˜68 Cutlass in full battle Rustoleum. My eyes! Iā€™m lost, no lines, help me find an edge. Whatever you do, donā€™t stare into the abyss. Hours later it tried to change to hints of light blue and finally morphed into baby blue. How cute, itā€™s a boy.! Nothing wrong with a CTR that doubles as a Mood Ring, and if it thrills you, wear it proudly. The vertigo subsided after a few minutes. Just donā€™t be surprised if people ask what color are you to make it when done sanding. Color flaming of ā€˜No way grayā€™ (not owners) is now complete,

Strangely enough I like the new NotSubaru Blue, who knew?

At this add a flavor a year pace, CTRs will reach Baskin-Robins 31 flavors by 2050.

Last edited:

ultrashin

First Name
NOH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
I could understand some dealers ADM of $1k (my threshold, armed with MSRP dealer list found here) or at most $3k, all depends on what youā€™re willing to pay, supply and (dealer) Iā€™ll put out my hand. I donā€™t think our local thought I was serious and wanted to say something high to see how motivated I was. I was wrong though, met someone else told same +10k for red ā€˜19, not scarce as some colors. Itā€™s not 2017 anymore.

I personally think ADM in the ballpark of ~1K is acceptable, and if they throw in accessories, thats even better. Asking 10k ADM is just pure greed and unethical. There are people willing to pay those, so maybe they are part of the problem too?

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I personally think ADM in the ballpark of ~1K is acceptable, and if they throw in accessories, thats even better. Asking 10k ADM is just pure greed and unethical. There are people willing to pay those, so maybe they are part of the problem too?
I understand that the dealer can markup their vehicles to whatever amount they choose, but I think that amount should be within reason. The ultimate goal here is to make sure the customer is satisfied overall with the final outcome. They also need to consider (if I owned the business) to retain return customers instead of burning the bridge and making them feel down the road feel like they got ripped off. Word of mouth, especially in this forum, is key to drawing potential customers hence our nice/naughty list. I'm not even sure these dealers know that our group exists. 1-2k would be reasonable but for that amount, throw in some accessories at least to make it worthwhile (wheel locks, or at least floor mats).

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
Back in early 2019, my former neighbor was the finance director for a SoCal Honda dealership. This guy put buku hrs on weekends and holidays and worked his butt off. We got to talking about CTR inventory at his dealership and he said they were still charging him an adm if he was interested. Needless to say, he was lucky enough to get an SI sedan at msrp with an employee discount. Go figure.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Back in early 2019, my former neighbor was the finance director for a SoCal Honda dealership. This guy put buku hrs on weekends and holidays and worked his butt off. We got to talking about CTR inventory at his dealership and he said they were still charging him an adm if he was interested. Needless to say, he was lucky enough to get an SI sedan at msrp with an employee discount. Go figure.
And he's the guy that's crunching the numbers for the dealership? Can't even cut the guy a break geeze!

lou430

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R BB, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2011 Honda CR-Z EX
Country flag
Everybody wants a deal till it effects the resale. If they starting discounting Type R to low 30k guess what happens to the worth of your Type R. I dont mind if they sell for over because I know it will hold its value.

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag

jincheol

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R BB, 2002 Acura RSX Type-S
Country flag
Talked to 2 dealers in Ohio who had incoming BB. One wanted +6.5k the other wanted +10k. Both could not stop the shit coming out of their mouths. Would not budge on price. One saying a normal markup is +20k. I told them to cut the shit and they refused to admit it.

Skandiluz

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR / '20 SGP CTR (Sold) / '15 FRS (Sold)
Country flag
Hi all. New here (first post) and been lurking for over a year. I just talked with a dealership and placed a deposit for a '20 SGP. They originally wanted 2k over but I was able to get it down to less than 1k and also got more for my trade in. I've got it all in writing so if all goes well, I should be picking it up in a few weeks.

jincheol

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R BB, 2002 Acura RSX Type-S
Country flag
Everybody wants a deal till it effects the resale. If they starting discounting Type R to low 30k guess what happens to the worth of your Type R. I dont mind if they sell for over because I know it will hold its value.
Says the guy who has a 2020 BB. "I dont care, I already got mine"

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Hi all. New here (first post) and been lurking for over a year. I just talked with a dealership and placed a deposit for a '20 SGP. They originally wanted 2k over but I was able to get it down to less than 1k and also got more for my trade in. I've got it all in writing so if all goes well, I should be picking it up in a few weeks.
Congrats. And great color!

Skandiluz

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR / '20 SGP CTR (Sold) / '15 FRS (Sold)
Country flag
Congrats. And great color!
Thanks! I really hope other people can get their R's because I've been keeping track of this thread for the last few months and to see some still looking because of ADM's is disheartening.
Sponsored