Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
Thanks Izzy! Salamat Pare! Appreciate it! Now I'm trying to find a reliable shipping company who can bring a car cross-country from Vermont. The review are a mixed-bag and I usually look at the latest ones posted. I'm looking to go enclosed to protect the car as someone said it's worth paying the extra than having it repainted for damages from flying rocks or other debris on its journey to the west coast.
Back in 2K when I had my Odyssey transported on an open carrier flatbed from Louisiana to SoCal, I had the dealership leave all the white plastic sheeting on the van.
Upon delivery, I carefully removed it and inspected every inch prior to the carrier leaving. Just an idea to consider. Keep us updated.
Sponsored

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Back in 2K when I had my Odyssey transported on an open carrier flatbed from Louisiana to SoCal, I had the dealership leave all the white plastic sheeting on the van.
Upon delivery, I carefully removed it and inspected every inch prior to the carrier leaving. Just an idea to consider. Keep us updated.
From what I've learned, the vehicle has already been "unwrapped" so to speak and is currently in the showroom, so all the plastic is gone already. It's been detailed of course, because it was display for a short time. Also, the license plate frame has already been installed on the front. =(

I'm currently in the hunt for a transporter, like I said, many people have different experiences so it's a crapshoot. It's either working with a small outfit or a big corporation and reliability is key.

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
From what I've learned, the vehicle has already been "unwrapped" so to speak and is currently in the showroom, so all the plastic is gone already. It's been detailed of course, because it was display for a short time. Also, the license plate frame has already been installed on the front. =(

I'm currently in the hunt for a transporter, like I said, many people have different experiences so it's a crapshoot. It's either working with a small outfit or a big corporation and reliability is key.
Just a thought, several years ago my cousin shipped his Accord from San Pedro to Honolulu using a freight container. I know this was done on a ship but maybe you can have it transported via freight train. Not exactly sure on the price difference, but at least it will be enclosed.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just a thought, several years ago my cousin shipped his Accord from San Pedro to Honolulu using a freight container. I know this was done on a ship but maybe you can have it transported via freight train. Not exactly sure on the price difference, but at least it will be enclosed.
Hey that's not a bad idea- I don't know if it's common practice but worth looking into. I hope it doesn't get robbed by bandits along the way LOL- I'm thinking along the lines of Red Dead Redemption now.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks Izzy! Salamat Pare! Appreciate it! Now I'm trying to find a reliable shipping company who can bring a car cross-country from Vermont. The review are a mixed-bag and I usually look at the latest ones posted. I'm looking to go enclosed to protect the car as someone said it's worth paying the extra than having it repainted for damages from flying rocks or other debris on its journey to the west coast.
@izzyC-EX how does the cover fit over the rear wing? Is it big enough to cover it or will the rear bottom be exposed?

Tbreezyfk8

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BB FK8; 2018 Civic Si HFP (Sold); 21 Mercedes A-Class
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I apologize for going off-topic here (has nothing to do with naughty dealers), but can anyone comment whether or not a 10 yr warranty (actually 7 because it begins in parallel with the factory warranty) is worth buying? 10 yr, 100,000 miles coverage for all parts. I made it to the Finance guy, who usually sells you stuff in the end (he wasn't sleezy and we had a good conversation, no pressure) If an extended warranty is even bought, does any aftermarket mods void the warranty? He did bring-up great points about the vehicle and how expensive some parts could be if needed to be repaired. Asked the usual stuff like how many miles do I anticipate to drive the vehicle (answer- minimal because of the COVID pandemic and basically no commuting to work) so less than 10K per year.

The dealership that is selling me this option claims they're not 3rd party coverage and that they actually manage the coverage. I asked them if it's good at any Honda dealership and they said it is, which means to say that it's probably a fix/reimburse option and not directly related with Honda itself.

I asked if this is an option I can purchase on the side without factoring it into the financing and he said yes, so it wasn't forced upon me to add it to the contract. Just another option to ponder about.

Last edited:

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
I've shipped a number of cars and utilized open carriers. I used an open carrier for my CTR (shipped from FL to CO) which was shipped in Nov. Car was very dirty but no damage. Would be very unusual to have to have something repainted due to transporting via an open carrier. Keep in mind that this is a <$40k car.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've shipped a number of cars and utilized open carriers. I used an open carrier for my CTR (shipped from FL to CO) which was shipped in Nov. Car was very dirty but no damage. Would be very unusual to have to have something repainted due to transporting via an open carrier. Keep in mind that this is a <$40k car.
I'm leaning towards open-carrier and even though it's probably 40-50% more to put it in an enclosed carrier, I'm thinking nothing will happen to it and if it does have rock chips, then insurance will cover minor dings. It will still smell new when I receive it and I hope they disinfect the insides as well, but then again, 7 days of transport will probably kill anything inside the vehicle that travelled along with it.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
I apologize for going off-topic here (has nothing to do with naughty dealers), but can anyone comment whether or not a 10 yr warranty (actually 7 because it begins in parallel with the factory warranty) is worth buying? 10 yr, 100,000 miles coverage for all parts. I made it to the Finance guy, who usually sells you stuff in the end (he wasn't sleezy and we had a good conversation, no pressure) If an extended warranty is even bought, does any aftermarket mods void the warranty? He did bring-up great points about the vehicle and how expensive some parts could be if needed to be repaired. Asked the usual stuff like how many miles do I anticipate to drive the vehicle (answer- minimal because of the COVID pandemic and basically no commuting to work) so less than 10K per year.

The dealership that is selling me this option claims they're not 3rd party coverage and that they actually manage the coverage. I asked them if it's good at any Honda dealership and they said it is, which means to say that it's probably a fix/reimburse option and not directly related with Honda itself.
No It's a profit center for the dealership.

Few basic questions: How long are you going to keep the car? Is it transferable? Coverage and deductibles? Can you purchase the extended warranty anytime during the manufactures warranty period?

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No It's a profit center for the dealership.

Few basic questions: How long are you going to keep the car? Is it transferable? Coverage and deductibles? Can you purchase the extended warranty anytime during the manufactures warranty period?
Yup, I figure it's where the dealership recoups anything lost during a haggled-transaction. I have also been offered an extended warranty through my credit union which I believe comes out much cheaper. I plan to own the car for at least 3 years or longer, but for sure it's not going to rack many miles (waaay less than 10K per year, maybe not even 5K). I also have a 2014 9th Gen Accord that only has 35K baby miles and it's running great- it will be handed down to my college kid in a year or two.

seijitsu

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, BB; 2008 Civic Si Sedan, Fuji Blue
Country flag
These guys? https://www.autotransportdirect.com/

Did you have to meet the truck at a designated location or did they drop it off at your residence?
Im using Montway shipping from Midwest to SoCal. Fairly reasonable rates and you can select the option for enclosed.
This was the website I used. https://directconnectauto.com/

I initially went with Montway for enclosed shipping which was ~1600K. After 5 days of not picking up my car in Ohio, they called me at 6am trying to up sale me by 200-300 more. Direct connect auto picked my car up the next day and was here 2-3 days earlier than the delivery date.

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I asked if this is an option I can purchase on the side without factoring it into the financing and he said yes, so it wasn't forced upon me to add it to the contract. Just another option to ponder about.
Pogi! I used to simply asked my local dealership service guy, that if I do this what are the chances of voiding the warranty and they will always say simple bolt-ons are usually fine but ones you get into modding the engine that's definitely a throw out. So if you are buying an extended warranty you either stay stock or at most mild add-ons with your "SUKI" service guys blessings.

My personal experience! When I purchased my car I usually say no to add ons, simply because the car will probably be out of my hands before warranty breaks. But when I went to financing with the Type-R they sold me a 10yr 120k miles for $2500, he was like man we pretty much gave you the car away (at msrp) at least give us this. At that point I was already so tired, I just said yes because I just wanted to get out of them place, but knowing I can cancel it later. They even sold me GAP for $750, that got all cancelled as soon as I refi'd with my credit union, getting my full money back.
C.U. GAP was only $299. If the extended warranty from Honda itself was around a grand I would have kept it. I'm still keeping that in my mind. Some forum members here got it for less than a grand. But I kid you not, extended warranty are probably a waste of money with the Type R. That itch to mod is going to come and its not gonna wait after 7 years. You probably are better off saving $50 a month for major repairs if you are really worried about it.
Sponsored