Hatchback CVT vs Hatchback manual 6MT

nouseformonkeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord
My wife has been driving stick since I taught her in college. Better not go to Europe where a lot of women know how to as well.
Sponsored

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
One of my exes refused to drive anything but stick, unfortunately she was f'n bad at it. :(

nouseformonkeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord
When my wife had a Miata with stick, a friend wanted the exact same car but she didn’t know how to drive manual. So, the dealership gave her a five minute lesson and took her money and sent her on her lurching way. She got stuck on a drawbridge when it went up and couldn’t get it going because it kept rolling backwards. She also religiously tried to downshift into every gear when stopping because that’s what the sales guy told her.

I must admit, I got stuck in my first manual car when I parked in a parking spot in a gas station that was on an decline. Every time I tried to reverse out of the spot, the car would roll forward towards the car in front. Finally, the attendant jumped in and let the car slowly roll until it touched the car in front and then reversed it out.

peterZ

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT Lunar Silver Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All of our cars are 6MT; Miata, HR-V, Civic Sport Hatch. They are much more fun to drive than an automatic transmission vehicle, and you feel connected to and aware of, the car, road and surroundings. If you are in the middle of the city and must drive in traffic all day, then the CVT may make sense. If you are out in a suburban area with little traffic, 6MT is just more fun!

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
When my wife had a Miata with stick, a friend wanted the exact same car but she didn’t know how to drive manual. So, the dealership gave her a five minute lesson and took her money and sent her on her lurching way. She got stuck on a drawbridge when it went up and couldn’t get it going because it kept rolling backwards. She also religiously tried to downshift into every gear when stopping because that’s what the sales guy told her.

I must admit, I got stuck in my first manual car when I parked in a parking spot in a gas station that was on an decline. Every time I tried to reverse out of the spot, the car would roll forward towards the car in front. Finally, the attendant jumped in and let the car slowly roll until it touched the car in front and then reversed it out.
I’m sorry, but that’s just really poor clutch skill. There’s no reason that you shouldn’t be able to get it back out on the incline. You need to get to your friction point and gradually let off the brake as you increase your clutch. You can do it with your handbrake, clutch, and gas if it’s really bad. There’s no excuse for it touching the car in front of you. I’ve parked on MANY inclines, even parallel, and never had that problem.

nouseformonkeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord
I’m sorry, but that’s just really poor clutch skill. There’s no reason that you shouldn’t be able to get it back out on the incline. You need to get to your friction point and gradually let off the brake as you increase your clutch. You can do it with your handbrake, clutch, and gas if it’s really bad. There’s no excuse for it touching the car in front of you. I’ve parked on MANY inclines, even parallel, and never had that problem.
Well, it got the job done and I’m glad he did it and not me. My college roommate and I bought the car in Miami and drove it up to Philadelphia for school and I learned to drive stick on the drive up. I didn’t have to deal with that parking on a hill scenario during that time. I definitely didn’t have the skill to pull out of that spot. No problems these days.

Lxvpq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2018 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I traded in a civic x CVT for the 6MT and I have no regrets. It's so much more fun and the CVT is only faster from a stop. I bet from a rolling start the 6mt is on part or better. I may be wrong though but both are fine in the end.

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only reason the CVT is faster on the 0-60 is the need for a shift at about 55. The MT is quicker on the 1/4 mile and beyond.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only reason the CVT is faster on the 0-60 is the need for a shift at about 55. The MT is quicker on the 1/4 mile and beyond.
You forgot the other 1-2 shift :)

Deleted member

I'm late to this thread and I am sure I have nothing new to add that hasn't been said a few dozen times-

If you consider driving to be a hobby and like to drive in your spare time purely for pleasure then stick shift and clutch is the way to go. There is simply no substitute DCT included.

CVT is about getting from point A to point B in the most fuel efficient manner possible- it's unengaging, sluggish, and dull. Can you have fun with a car powered by a CVT? Sure. Can you have as much fun as a MT? Not in a million years.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
CVT is about getting from point A to point B in the most fuel efficient manner possible- it's unengaging, sluggish, and dull.
Keep in mind my comments below are from someone who drove manuals for 25 years...

This is my first CVT and while it has it's faults... most notably some lag when going from low speed, light throttle to a heavy throttle press, overall it works amazingly well with the turbo. And not just in a fuel efficiency sense. It generally has you at the right rpm for every situation. Putting it in S holds the rpms higher for more grunt. L just keeps pulling. There actually is some fun to be had. Combined with my tune that peaks at about 21.5 psi, my car is pretty damn fun to drive and probably a bit quicker than a manual.

Do I have a much fun or control as you do in your manual?. Absolutely not. But Honda has done a very good job with this CVT.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
SO True what these two folks said above. CVT better, quicker, no fuss, jerkiness, but not as fun as a MT can be.
I love that CVT when I have a stop sign (need to merge, left turn onto a busy 2 lane cross traffic that does not stop. Just stomp on that throttle, hold it there, I look down on the speedo and I am going 68 mph in a 45 mph limit. No shifting, no jerking. Love it.
We used to have two ATVs'. I had a manual, my wife had auto- CVT. I enjoyed the manual very much, but always had more fun with her CVT quad. In a twisty trail through the woods, just full throttle all the time until next turn, brake hard before the turn, then full on power again. Same with hill climbing at speed. CVT wins, shifting mid climb often resulted in loss of momentum, loss of traction-wheel spin. ahh...the good ol days :)
Whatever... clutch until your heart desires :)
Sponsored