My brother's Sport Hatchback Touring 6MT vs my Civic Si

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
So after a nearly 2 month search my brother has finally acquired a brand new 2021 Hatchback Touring Sport 6 speed manual transmission. This car is so rare that after a 2 month statewide search we acquired one of only two 2021's in Texas for the rest of the year.

*Little side note for those of you who don't know this.... The 6MT Touring Hatchback are not entirely exactly the same as their CVT counterparts. The manuals are about 67 pounds lighter curb weight, 2 MPG better on the highway, has 17lbs ft more of torque, and the Horsepower comes on 500rpm sooner in the rev range all while being $800 cheaper MSRP!*

Anyways, now that he has owned it for roughly 2 weeks and I have gotten a chance to drive it a few times, I would like to compare my brother's Touring Hatch 6MT vs my 2017 Civic Si (owned since new). The pros and cons vs my Si....

PROS:

Handling: This car can turn in! I swear she is 85% of an Si when pushed in the corners. Superb grip, superb body control, and super confidence inspiring ability to maintain its lines. I was blown away how planted and stable it felt when I tossed it through a sharp highway merger bend. Like I said it felt 85% of my car on that same curve.

Steering: Very sharp and responsive! A little to light for me personally though, feels slightly lighter than my Si in comfort mode even. But its precision is great, you make even the slightest movement and the car wants to change direction, very sharp. Could use a tad bit more road feel though, it was a little hard to tell what the front wheels were doing. About 80% of my Si in the steering department.

Brakes: The brake feel is really really good, it's very easy to modulate and very predictable. Not too soft, not too hard. It stops great as well. By feel alone I would say it is about 85% of my Si.

Comfort: And this is where the delta between my Si and the Touring Hatch 6MT is enormous. It is literally like stepping out of a Bentley and into a Focus RS as far as ride quality goes and I'm not even exaggerating. It is butter smooth! Road imperfections and potholes are smoothed out in the cabin like no $30K car has any business doing. It is so good that it rivals, no, it IS better than my sister's $50K 2014 Infiniti QX70 that she has had since brand new. Fantastic comfort, and road noise is also much improved as well.

Quality: This is a 2021 Civic which means it is at the very end of it's life cycle so Honda has had enough time to polish things up. My car is a 2017 Si which was the very beginning of it's life cycle. I'm going to judge them brand new for brand new because it's not fair to judge a 3 and half year old car vs a 2 week old car. Even with that, new for new, the feeling of quality here is much better. It feels much more solid and refined, it's hard to explain but everything just feels much better put together. Quiet and refined is the feeling here. All the touch points are leather, leather seats, heated fronts and rears seats, 12 speaker 540 watts vs 10 speaker 480 watts. It's just simply a better space to be in.

CONS:

Speed: It feels notably slower to me. The turbo feels slower to spool especially off the line. It feels kind of lazy off the line, too relaxed. Now I don't know if it is because the engine is still too new and needs to be fully broken in (drove it around 300 miles on the clock), or just the way it was tuned/different internals vs the Si (which is stock tune btw). But yea, I wasn't too fond of the way it delivered power especially off the line. Passing power is also not as good as my Si.

Throttle: The throttle response to me here vs my Si is a big let down. My Si is no Lexus LFA either, but the Touring Hatch 6MT is much worse. Rev matching is sloppy because tapping the throttle gives you next to no response, you have to really jab it. It's also a little difficult modulating the throttle in stop and go because of the lazy response. My Si in "Sport mode" solves a lot of the lazy throttle response issues, the Touring Hatch 6MT desperately needs a "Sport Mode" just for the throttle response alone.

Shifter: While very precise and easy to go in and out of gears, the throws are too long compared to my Si, and the engagement feels a little sloppy and soft-like in comparison. It is not bad per say, just not up to my standards after 5 years of Si ownership (I owned a 2015 Si before my 2017 Si), but I still found it enjoyable to roll through.

Clutch: Felt lighter and a bit more vague than my Si. Again, this could be a breaking in thing as they share the same clutch as far as I know so I won't harp too much on this.

Steering: Could be a little weightier, but then again I know this is not the class of vehicle and also a personal preference. Road feel could be a little better though.

All in all it is a fantastic vehicle and a true unicorn. I told my brother that he is more likely to see a Lambo, Mclaren, or a Ferrari on his way home here in Houston than running into another Touring Hatch Manual because it is that rare so he needs to cherish what he has lol. And cherish he should because it is truely an Si-lite with the amazing comfort and upscale-ness to boot. My brother is in love and plans on keeping it for at least 10 years.

Honda Civic 10th gen My brother's Sport Hatchback Touring 6MT vs my Civic Si IMG_20201118_095304

Honda Civic 10th gen My brother's Sport Hatchback Touring 6MT vs my Civic Si IMG_20201118_095332

Honda Civic 10th gen My brother's Sport Hatchback Touring 6MT vs my Civic Si IMG_20201118_095410

Honda Civic 10th gen My brother's Sport Hatchback Touring 6MT vs my Civic Si IMG_20201118_133828

Honda Civic 10th gen My brother's Sport Hatchback Touring 6MT vs my Civic Si 20201126_144726

Last edited:

69L46Vert

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI Coupe, 2003 Civic DX, 1977 CJ5, 1969 Corvette, 1954 GMC 100, 2018 Toyota 4Runner, 1965 Volkswagen Beetle
Country flag
Very desirable model imo. I have an 18 SI coupe but would love an mt touring. I’d want to keep it forever too.

quakaroaks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sp, 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I concur with your feedback and congrats to your brother in getting the HB ST! It was challenging for me to find a HB sp MT and drove 2 hours out of my area to pull the trigger when I got the 2018.

I'll admit that currently in my second year of ownership, the throttle response isn't very consistent. I'm still learning not to second guess in how much throttle to apply when it comes to rev matching and modulation.

It is indeed a unicorn of a car, made with such a good balance and for the great price tag - not fast, but peppy and solid cornering with the 2800+ lb curb weight. The Si sway bar upgrade (sadly discontinued) has definitely refined the car.

ECCST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag
OP is spot on in evaluation.

Many of the pros are why I ended up with exactly same car (2021 hatch ST manual). I wanted more of a touring car rather than the more capable “sport car” that the Si is. The Si is more aggressive in throttle, suspension and shifter. But I wanted a cruiser with some of the extra options for lots of highway miles enjoyment. I test drove an Si when shopping but found it a little too stiff and rough, which are more necessary for track and “sports oriented”driving. Plus, I wanted the hatch and wins in the looks department for me.

Anybody who is considering both cars should read the review. I would say the same things.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
If it had an LSD it would be perfect. And no moonroof - ok, I guess that's a type R, lol.

Just make sure the car had 91 or 93 octane in it - the 6mT Sport hatches feel much more lively with 93 vs 87. A think some cars are delivered with 87 in them.

ECCST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag
If it had an LSD it would be perfect. And no moonroof - ok, I guess that's a type R, lol.

Just make sure the car had 91 or 93 octane in it - the 6mT Sport hatches feel much more lively with 93 vs 87. A think some cars are delivered with 87 in them.
I hope you are right - I know you had a sport so you should know. I’m on my 4-5th tank and I purposely put 87 in it until this most recent tank of 93. I haven’t noticed much different. Maybe it will take a few tanks to see.
My first few tanks I was getting over 40 on the highway on 87 and I just ran down 100 miles at highway with the 93 and I’m slightly less. Maybe it is cooler weather in Florida affecting it.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
When's your brother joining CivicX?

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
When's your brother joining CivicX?
I dont know lol. Funny story, he's not really a car guy and just really learned how to drive a manual about 2 weeks before he bought his Sport Touring 6mt. I guess he saw how much fun I was having in my Si and asked me to teach him ?

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I hope you are right - I know you had a sport so you should know. I’m on my 4-5th tank and I purposely put 87 in it until this most recent tank of 93. I haven’t noticed much different. Maybe it will take a few tanks to see.
My first few tanks I was getting over 40 on the highway on 87 and I just ran down 100 miles at highway with the 93 and I’m slightly less. Maybe it is cooler weather in Florida affecting it.
I don't think the octane affects gas mileage, but it felt more responsive with 93. But my Sport was also very sensitive to air temps/weather, on a cool night it felt more lively.

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag

The Sport or sport touring?

The sport and SI model by default, does not have a moon roof but the EX does.
I would imagine and almost certain the SPORT TOURING does come with a moon roof...

Sport touring is basically a sport tune + EX luxury combined and, yes, with the 2020 or 2021; there is both CVT and 6MT as options.

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
LSD would of been nice across the board but, Honda be losing their sales pitch for higher price tag.
Although, does the sport trim (not sport touring) have LSD? The SI and CTR comes with for the nature of sport/racing but, does the sport trim come equipped with LSD? If so, then I question... does the sport touring come with for either: CVT or 6MT?

I have a 2018 EX HB and I wish Honda came with a non CVT but I guess that would not help the MPG these days.... doh! Getting AVG 40mpg with unleaded and not having to be a hybrid is a nice price point with the distance you can travel. Although, a DCT would of been nice for the ST trim as I find CVTs in general very un-sporty. I had a CRZ and a IS250 F sport... like the mechanical tranny but without DCT. It shifts so jerky and the CVT is so drone like; which makes the sport shift/peddle jerky and a joke IMO.

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
Please Honda, could you remake the Acura ILX to a Acura Integra with LSD?
2dr hatchbacks are much missed! Even a Acura ILX Hatchback Type R would be wonderful :)

RMR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport/2018 Honda Odyssey Elite/2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
Country flag
Unless somebody at the dealer just stuck the "Touring" badge on below the Sport badge on the hatch it is not a sport touring. Those pictures are of a Sport and not a Sport Touring. The Sport Touring would have turn signal indicators on the mirrors, LED headlights, and a moon roof all standard. He has the base Sport. No leather, no 540 watt stereo, no LED headlights, no moonroof, etc. The interior pic also shows the heated front seat buttons are missing and the upper dash mid front speaker is missing (a part of the 540Watt Stereo)........things that are all standard on the Sport Touring and not available on the Sport. Hopefully your brother did not pay $29,500 for this vehicle. It's a $24,500 vehicle
Sponsored

Last edited: