First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hahaha wow. Chill out, folks. First of all. CVT and automatic transmission are NOT the same thing. If you’re basing the argument on that, you need to sit down, shut up, and listen.
A CVT changes ratios with no input from the driver, so basically in principle it's an automatic and just a different technology. Both have their place. It's all about the the drivers priorities

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I need to go test drive a 6MT, in both 1.5t and 2.0, to see how it compares. The 2.0 w CVT felt slow or not very responsive, but with tune is a totally different animal. The CVT between the 1.5t and 2.0 is actually different, so isn't always an apples to apples comparison. I've read lots of talk about low end or acceleration lag on the 1.5t CVT that doesn't exist on the CVT for the 2.0.

It's also nice knowing I'm apart of the 18% that knows how to drive stick, and have for the last 22 years - until now. If I'm happy with my CVT, I guess I'm getting old, or tired of shifting. My hand still rests on the shifter. Though I'm plenty happy with its performance on my vehicle.
I drove the 6 speed 2.0 and 1.5t back to back. I'm normal driving around town you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference, it's not until you get your foot into the throttle a bit further that the difference becomes readily apparent. You really notice it when the boost starts building past 2500 rpm and through the midrange.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Second nature...some people just suck at driving a standard
Somewhat true, but also could be Incorrect!
People choose not to manually shift or drive a m.t.
I used to be one of those "busy people (person)", wanted to be in control, constantly needed fiddling with something in the car, shifting the gears up down.
I am not one of those busy people anymore and enjoy this CVT a lot.
This CVT is well matched to the low-end torque of a D.I. turbo; as well as when it spools up and starts to crank out some HP.
Would have chosen the 6mt if the car was underpowered, for example my 1.8L HR-V was.
I.M.O., you go with MT if you need to help out an underpower set up; which most Japanese eco cars are known of. There are some exceptions.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I.M.O., you go with MT if you need to help out an underpower set up; which most Japanese eco cars are known of. There are some exceptions.
Back in the day that may have been true. I mean, my first manual car was an '84 CRX. An automatic would have zapped all the fun away. But today's econo cars have more power and work just fine with a auto or CVT overall.

The reason people generally buy a stick these days is for more driving control and fun factor. I'd be driving a manual Civic right now if Honda would have offered a stick in the EX-L. I'm OK with the CVT but it does take some getting used to. My tune definitely wakes up the car quite a bit though. :)

RallyeRedSedan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic/2006 Evo
Country flag
Somewhat true, but also could be Incorrect!
People choose not to manually shift or drive a m.t.
I used to be one of those "busy people (person)", wanted to be in control, constantly needed fiddling with something in the car, shifting the gears up down.
I am not one of those busy people anymore and enjoy this CVT a lot.
This CVT is well matched to the low-end torque of a D.I. turbo; as well as when it spools up and starts to crank out some HP.
Would have chosen the 6mt if the car was underpowered, for example my 1.8L HR-V was.
I have a Forester XT that’s boosted and it has the CVT trans. I’m not knocking the design or saying one is better than the other. It’s boring. If I want to go fast I get the Evo out of the garage.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
"The report from U.S. News and World Report show only 18 percent of U.S. drivers know how to operate a stick shift. It says that because of advancements in automatic transmissions and fuel economy, only about 5 percent of vehicles sold in the U.S. today come with a stick shift. That’s down from 25 percent of cars in 1987.

The third pedal is also bad for re-sale value, on average selling for $2,000 less than cars with automatic transmissions."
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/10/11/report-only-18-percent-of-americans-can-drive-manual/
"
That's probably based on trade-in, where dealers will use any excuse to screw you on the trade. Selling a manual privately is easy, and you get motivated buyers. You're not trying to sell the car to 10 people, you only need 1 buyer.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
For regular driving, stick is great, totally second nature, didn't even think about it unless I needed to zip around someone, or launching and rowing through the gears.

For 0-15mph stop and go, or going from stop light to stop light in the city, with those super short 1st and 2nd gears, at least in my old Civic, was excruciating. I face those scenarios 85% of the time, so for the 5% that I get to vroom vroom, not worth it. The other 10% where I'm cruising long distance, shifting only matters in passing, and what I've done to my car makes shifting a wash at moderate speeds. I also ride with passengers more often than naught these days. Being a passenger in a manual car isn't the most pleasant, even with clean shifts and engages. Dealing with 1+ kids and shifting becomes even more of a chore/distraction.

If I drove a lot on curvy roads, no stop lights, no traffic, no passengers, and if I had plans to actually race my car, I'd manual it up without question.

jrschultz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
I'm one who sees the merit in CVT's and manuals. I was an early adopter of the CVT in a Nissan Altima. I love the way a CVT works. When Nissan decided to put simulated shifts in their CVT's it really put me off. I know why they did it - The average customer thought something was wrong with their transmission. My in-laws have the Accord 1.5T with CVT, and that is a great combo. I'm sure it's the same in the Civic, although I didn't drive one. I chose the manual in my sport, because of the fun factor. The 6 speed in the Civic is also so slick and easy to use.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
i have both and really...the manual is way fun to drive....but sometimes in life its fun just not to think and enjoy relaxing while driving.....
i have the paddle shifters in the other ones....its a nice features too!
I’ve never really found myself thinking harder or being unable to relax driving a manual.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I’ve never really found myself thinking harder or being unable to relax driving a manual.
I never found myself thinking harder, period. :spaz: But I can truly relax only when I'm holding a drink in my right hand or eating chips.:popcorn:

My hand still rests on the shifter.
I dunno, but some wizards (like Jason from youtube) say "Do not use the gearshift lever as a handrest. This can result in premature wear of the transaxle shift forks." The correct way of operating the shtick is demonstrated here: :drive: :D