First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FD
Country flag
Hello, CivicX community.
I am new here and I will be glad to ask for a help before I buy my Civic X.
I can't decide what car to buy - the Manual 6MT or CVT.
On one hand, the CVT acceleration is faster, better fuel economy and it's more convenient for daily use. On other hand, the manual is more fun and can handle more power.

I must say that in my country I can't really find places to drive faster than 150 kmh, and average daily speed outside of the town is 110-90 kmh. Another thing is that I am not planning to upgrade it too much, maybe only ECU tune and maybe few other small stuff.

With all this information hope you can help me to decide and replace my old FD :).

Ty very much
Sponsored

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello, CivicX community.
On one hand, the CVT acceleration is faster, better fuel economy and it's more convenient for daily use. On other hand, the manual is more fun and can handle more power.

I must say that in my country I can't really find places to drive faster than 150 kmh, and average daily speed outside of the town is 110-90 kmh. Another thing is that I am not planning to upgrade it too much, maybe only ECU tune and maybe few other small stuff.

With all this information hope you can help me to decide and replace my old FD :).

Ty very much
Buy the 6 speed. Overall much better driving experience and less limitations on what you can do. I absolutely hate my CVT. The 6 speed is just going to last much longer.

OP
OP

Prozento

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FD
Country flag
Buy the 6 speed. Overall much better driving experience and less limitations on what you can do. I absolutely hate my CVT. The 6 speed is just going to last much longer.
Can you please describe why you hate it? Is it less reliable and make a lot of problems or you just dont like the driving with it?

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you please describe why you hate it? Is it less reliable and make a lot of problems or you just dont like the driving with it?
Well, the CVT has a few downsides. In stop & go traffic, i find that the transmission has a delay in the engagement so it will jolt forwards and be very rough when on & off the throttle from a stop. The CVT has a long delay when accelerating. It's like turbo lag except way worse. You floor it and you wait for the power to kick in but it doesn't happen until 4 seconds later. Overall the transmission is decent at best. Best CVT transmission i've ever driven, but the 6 speed blows it out of the water. It will definitely last you longer than the CVT. The CVT will slowly but surely break on you after a few years like all others.

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To keep it simple, the only reason i'm considering trading in my car after 2 years is this transmission.

tufancyhuh

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TSX, '18 Civic Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag
Agreed with everyone whose posted before me. For most casual Civic drivers who take a commute through traffic, this CVT is great for what it is. However, I think you ultimately have to answer the question whether you'd want a more spirited, fun drive vs. a comfortable drive with minimal "umph" factor. I've owned a Sport Touring for a couple months now after heavily debating the SI. As much as I love my Civic CVT as a daily driver, it is by no means a fun car or weekend warrior. I drive 60 miles a day through LA and make frequent trips along California, so an automatic was necessary for what I needed in this car.

DarthMinnow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Civic Hatch LX CVT
Country flag
Tuning the CVT civic really brings it to life. I find I can negate most of the jerkiness of the CVT in stop and go if I am careful to coast a lot and feather the throttle. My car is quick now with the tune. Manuals are a dying breed. If you just look at how many are bought new, statistics don’t lie. Sure manuals keep you more engaged. I don’t want to deal with a manual driving in San Francisco and crazy hills all the time. If you like to drive a stick buy it, if you don’t then get a CVT. It’s personal preference, both sides will say theirs is better.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Hello, CivicX community.
The Civic is a budget commuter car, not a sports car (SI and Type-R excepted).
If you are using it every day to commute through heavy traffic, shifting won't be as much fun after a couple of months.

One thing to note, VERY few people buy manuals any more because most don't know how to, or care to learn how to drive them. It really isn't that hard to learn how, but most people can't be bothered since the vast majority of the cars today have automatics.

When you go to sell the car down the road, it will be VERY difficult to unload it if it has a manual unless it is a "sports" car like the SI or the Type-R. Expect that you will sell it for thousands less and it may take months to unload. I see manual transmission cars for sale gathering "internet dust" in online classifieds all the time. Despite the popularity of manuals at an "enthusiast site" like CivicX, there just is no market for them.

There are other negatives with the manual like "rev-hang" as well.

I am not trying to discourage you from buying a manual, but there are disadvantages that the other posters have not pointed out. If a manual is right for you, then go ahead and get one. They cost less to buy, are more engaging to drive and they usually last longer than an automatic transmission.

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I will vote manual as well, i have a 2018 hatchback sport 6mt, this is my 3rd manual and by far the best gearbox ive driven.

Very easy to drive if your going to be learning how to drive manual.

Yes the cvt is more efficient and i think even has a slightly quicker 0-60, but the driving experience of manual transmission will get my vote any day

branvan

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX 6MT
Country flag
All that I can add to what others have said here is this: If you really like driving a manual, I'd buy the manual. I bought a CR-Z with CVT and regretted it almost immediately. It's a large part of why I sold it and bought the Civic. For me, I definitely missed not having the experience of driving a manual and the feeling of the CVT (at least in the CR-Z) was not for me either.

OP
OP

Prozento

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FD
Country flag
Thank you all for the answers.
From answers here I understand that for my country I should take CVT and tune it since...
I am not a manual pro and it will take me time to perfect it
I have a lot of hills in my area.
I have a lot of traffic jams.
I am not planning to upgrade it more than ECU tune.
I want it to be convinient for daily use.
I dont want to bother myself in selling it later too long time.
Its more fuel efficient and faster at the start 0-100.

On other hand the only big advantage of manual is fun in good conditions, so I guess this is price I will need to pay.

Again thank you all for the answers