Exhaust recommendations (3 tip, minimal drone)?

Lowest drone - Deepest sound - Build quality - Looks

• Total voters
OP
OP
street937

street937

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I’ve narrowed it down to these two exhausts for my CTR. I don’t want anything obnoxious and the 27won seems to be a bit quieter. Does anybody have any experience with 27won drone? This is my daily driver and I want drone at a minimum. I know AWE has drone at certain RPMs but it’s not terrible from what I’ve read. AWE is also a couple hundred bucks cheaper, wondering if 27won is worth the premium.

As far as bolt on power though, it looks like 27won has the win.

I plan on running only whatever exhaust I choose & a PRL hvi intake, stock tune. I enjoy the sound of both which is my main reason for getting an aftermarket exhaust.
Sponsored

prbroken

FK8 Mate
First Name
MC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I recently installed the AWE touring without the mid-phase and I have a stock downpipe. I'm not gonna bother with a tune or downpipe until my warranty is up.

I was in the same situation as yourself. I don't think anyone wants any drone, but if you get an aftermarket or custom exhaust, you are gonna get something. Even the stock exhaust has drone at around 3k.
With that said it's still all subjective on how much drone an exhaust will give you.
You won't know for sure how much until you drive around in one; Maybe check local groups and see if they'll give you a ride with their exhaust.

I daily drive my CTR and can notice the stock drone on long drives, the AWE Touring exhaust bumps that drone by a bit. The drone and exhaust was much louder when I first got it installed, but it's settled down a bit after like 2-3 months. I don't miss the initial drone, but I now miss the louder exhaust.

I used to not want a loud exhaust and neither did my wife(I had to get the exhaust without her knowing lol) but she was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't very obnoxious. She's now even okay with maybe getting the track conversion kit and maybe the mid phase as well if with drone gets too bad.

I like that AWE has these options.

I was also contemplating the 27won exhaust, but the price was too much(especially for me in Canada) and couldn't get any data on how it would survive in the snow since some pipes are pointing towards the front of the car.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I forgot to also add that drone does appear between 2k and 3k rpm, but I found that it gets quieter once I get it to 3k. You can also eliminate the drone by driving in a gear above than you normal would at the start to get passed the first 2-3 months. I now mostly drive in 5th gear at 3k rpm to get around with minimal drone.

Ismael Lafluer

Project Harukonokaze R-00691
First Name
Ismael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2016 Honda Accord sport, 2007 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Im rocking Milltek Zero complaints, although a bit heavier than most

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
You should find a local meet or local page with Type R owners to check out whatever they got. Too loud, too much drone, too quiet, etc.... Are all subjective things. If you're never going to replace you're stock downpipe, I find pretty much all the exhausts I've heard to be quiet enough for daily driving and drone to be pretty minimal. I've seen other people say otherwise though, so they may have much more sensitive ears.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
I'm in a similar situation. Was thinking about the Armytrix valved exhaust. Pricey though.

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
I absolutely love my Remus exhaust, especially after finding and fixing a rattling issue recently. Very little if any drone, even with the valve all the way open. The ability to go from stock-ish sounding to loud and obnoxious at the press of a button is so useful. I can drive through the neighborhood at night without even being noticed. It's like having several different exhausts all at once, as even the middle valve settings have their own sound. The only downside in my opinion is the price, as it's definitely one of the more expensive exhausts. But I have no regrets at all and it's easily my favorite mod I've done.

Where in Ohio are you from? I'm just across the SE border near Parkersburg, WV. If you're anywhere close, you're welcome to come check it out in person.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
Remus, Sequence, and Boost logic for the valved exhaust option.
No valve, AWE, Borla, invidia Q300, Perrin, etc

Zombie

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R, 08 Z71, 2019 Traverse Redline, 2011 Ruckus GY6 150
Country flag
I wanna up the sound on my 2021 CTR. Not looking for major power gains, not tuning it, these are going to be my only two mods.

Will these together hurt the car in any way or throw any codes?
did the same exact setup at 600 miles on my 2020.. at 2500 now.. only issue is ,take your time installing the AWE and get every slip joint seated fully, and make sure not to have any contacts with the heat shields.. "will have rattles if you dont." No tune.. No CELs.
Waiting on backordered PRL Titanium Turbo Inlet atm. BTW these together sound great... what the CTR should sound like. I personally think im goin to order the Track conversion. i want it even louder now....lol

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
Based on workmanship I have seen from all of these listed and research I went with Remark Ti, all the way, but Militek would have been second choice....

OP
OP
street937

street937

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Not going to run any other mods, downpipes, tunes, ect. Each company advertises about a ~10 hp gain for each part on the OEM tune.

Does that mean it’ll add ~20hp with Intake + Exhaust or how does that work?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
You won't see a lot of gains in most cars until meaningful parts are swapped out. You might see a little bump and a bit better response, and if super curious do a before and after dyno, but experience tells me you'll net around 10hp or so all in after adding. Will still be fun and noticeable I'd wager :)

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Full boltons without a tune gives you about 15HP. A downpipe only gives you about 10HP. So everything else counts for 5 or so. Of course it's not linear, so adding everything but a downpipe might get your 10HP and not 5, but hard to say.

This car is limited by downpipe, then fuel. Inlet and exhaust have almost no impact on power. Or so say the professionals.
https://fk8.wiki/Tuning

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
I recently installed the AWE touring without the mid-phase and I have a stock downpipe. I'm not gonna bother with a tune or downpipe until my warranty is up.

I was in the same situation as yourself. I don't think anyone wants any drone, but if you get an aftermarket or custom exhaust, you are gonna get something. Even the stock exhaust has drone at around 3k.
With that said it's still all subjective on how much drone an exhaust will give you.
You won't know for sure how much until you drive around in one; Maybe check local groups and see if they'll give you a ride with their exhaust.

I daily drive my CTR and can notice the stock drone on long drives, the AWE Touring exhaust bumps that drone by a bit. The drone and exhaust was much louder when I first got it installed, but it's settled down a bit after like 2-3 months. I don't miss the initial drone, but I now miss the louder exhaust.

I used to not want a loud exhaust and neither did my wife(I had to get the exhaust without her knowing lol) but she was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't very obnoxious. She's now even okay with maybe getting the track conversion kit and maybe the mid phase as well if with drone gets too bad.

I like that AWE has these options.

I was also contemplating the 27won exhaust, but the price was too much(especially for me in Canada) and couldn't get any data on how it would survive in the snow since some pipes are pointing towards the front of the car.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I forgot to also add that drone does appear between 2k and 3k rpm, but I found that it gets quieter once I get it to 3k. You can also eliminate the drone by driving in a gear above than you normal would at the start to get passed the first 2-3 months. I now mostly drive in 5th gear at 3k rpm to get around with minimal drone.
Good seeing you here brother, glad you're loving the exhaust! I just went from Track to Touring on my CTR, really loved the Track but between 3-4k there were some high notes, that I could bear but the Mrs. wasn't a fan. The Touring loses a bit of character/edge, but its' really the perfect everyday exhaust that still gets rowdy when needed., Stock DP as well for now, a Catted RV6 is probable later this Fall or early next year. Will share my thoughts with and without the Dual Phase Mid Pipe

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Can't go wrong with either to be honest, they're both great options. We're currently running the AWE Touring on our CTR with the stock DP, and it's a great daily exhaust. Wouldn't mind trying out 27won either in the future :)

Independent opinion would be that 27won has v-band clamps, and no slip joints so the install is easier. AWE is pretty versatile, letting you change your resonator and muffler options, as well as tip color and quantity.

If you'd like AWE, we do carry them: https://unity-performance.com/products/awe-tuning-exhaust-suite-2017-civic-type-r

Hope that helps, feel free to ask any questions. Thanks!

Humza
Sponsored