Does the rear spoiler need to be removed to apply tint to rear window?

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
Country flag
Hi,

I'm looking to have all 4 windows and the rear window tinted on my Type R. Does the rear spoiler need to be removed to apply the tint?

The shop I called indicated that they will remove the spoiler.

I just don't trust anyone to put it back properly and I don't care to remove it myself....

Sponsored

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
That doesn't sound right at all.. Find another shop.

dragonov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
Hi,

I'm looking to have all 4 windows and the rear window tinted on my Type R. Does the rear spoiler need to be removed to apply the tint?

I just don't trust anyone to put it back properly and I don't care to remove it myself....

You do not need to remove the spoiler to tint the back window. If they are wanting to remove it find another shop.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just had mine tinted this past weekend and they did not remove the spoiler, just the interior trim pieces. I have seen where some tinters remove the spoiler or ask to have it removed, but it seems to be dependent on the tinter - not a blanket rule for everyone.

Dom9lives

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R FK8
Country flag
Nope. It was my dealer's first type R. He had a bad time but he managed to do it without removing the spoiler and he did a good job.

xABNINx

First Name
Roderick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R - 2019
Country flag
I got my tint done second day I got my car and no removal as well. I would go some other tint place I would not remove that piece.

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
There is no need to remove the spoiler. Also if you ask them again and they say they will not remove the spoiler, i would recommend watching them do it if you have the option. Just in case...

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
Hi,

Not to mention that the tint is installed on the inside. Out of curiosity, ask them how the spoiler interferes. Just for kicks...

OP
OP

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
Country flag
Thanks, everyone for the responses. I'll find someone else.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Only internal 4 plastic trim panels are removed to install tint. A good tint installer will lay and cut the film on the OUTSIDE of your glass to get the perfect shape and extra material to tuck or hide the edges. They will also squeegee it on the glass outside as a test.

Even then make sure to tell them to be careful and NOT break any clips or the 2 pull handle covers which are only used once and must replace them. I’ve showed exactly how to remove all the panels in my J’s GT wing install here if you want to know where all the clips and gotchas are:

Good luck!

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 FK8, ‘19 XC60 R-Design, ‘17 ZL1, ‘02 SS
Country flag
The mid spoiler was removed for my tint install. It’s not that big of a deal.

jcp227

First Name
Jimmy Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue (It's even got a rear spoiler)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They removed my mid-wing when my tint was done. They did a spot on perfect job. However my R was the last one to have this removed as they ordered a rear window for a template. Now that the car has been released I do see any reason for them to remove them if you go to a good shop.

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 #14116 / 2008 FG2
Country flag
My tint guy bought a type r hatch glass specifically for avoiding removing anything when doing the hatch, he then laid out exquisite llumar pinnacle ceramic tint and it dried out flawlessly. I would suggest finding someone who actually knows what the fuck they are doing.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
My tint guy said the mid spoiler needed to be removed; there is a video tutorial in this forum on how to do it. He said he honestly doesn't want to touch it (even after watching the video) because he's never done it before. I could get it removed, he'll install the tint then I can get it put back on. So now I'm in waiting to see if my friend can remove the spoiler for me so I can get it tinted. It's the second guy I've had tell me it needs to be removed.
Sponsored