Tinting rear hatch - need to remove spoiler?

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
  • Banned
I just asked for a quote from a tint place and they said, "If it's that hatchback with the spoiler across the back, it needs to be removed before installation."

Is that right? Why would a spoiler on the outside interfere with applying tint on the inside?
Sponsored

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
I just asked for a quote from a tint place and they said, "If it's that hatchback with the spoiler across the back, it needs to be removed before installation."

Is that right? Why would a spoiler on the outside interfere with applying tint on the inside?
Find another tint shop.

Rasy

First Name
Rasy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW #15337
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll second that the wing doesn't need to be removed. The rear glass is a little tricky with the bottom middle mount for the lower spoiler though. My tint guy pointed it out, but luckily had practice on a Sport Hatchback (which that owner apparently sat and watched them and nitpicked the whole time).

So if you take it in, just tell them to take their time and they'll take care of you.

OP
OP

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
  • Banned
Find another tint shop.
I've asked three and they've all expressed reservations about the wing. Anyone recommend a decent shop in middle Tennessee that won't remove the wing and do a stellar job?

Or what I ask these guys to do to work around the wing?

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
I didnā€™t have an issue with my wing during the tinting process. If your prospective tinters are giving you fits, look for a nice shop out of Nashville. Check out Google and start with the shop that has the best reviews and work your way down.

Simply tell them you have a new Civic Type R and you want to get a quote for tint.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00969 BLK, 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster (BLK), 2019 Civic Si Modern Steel Metalic
Country flag
I have had several shops quote and I get a consistent story. The wing needs removed if they are preparing the tint on the outside first. Most shops place the tint on the outside of the window and that's where they trim it to size before it is installed on the interior. Shops can still do this with the wing installed, but it would be in two pieces. Not a big deal to take the wing off. Let them do it and get the job done right.

Ramster

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8 / Supra MKV / Tesla M3P / G80 M3C xDrive
Country flag
I've asked three and they've all expressed reservations about the wing. Anyone recommend a decent shop in middle Tennessee that won't remove the wing and do a stellar job?

Or what I ask these guys to do to work around the wing?
Go to ProTint in Murfreesboro. They won't remove your wing. That's where I got mine done.

OP
OP

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
For future reference - a good shop will *NOT* have to remove your wing. I went to Accutint in Nashville - local Huper Optik dealer, which is really hard to qualify for - top notch job so far and they were able to cut the tint on a computerized cutter and lay it around the spoiler, no problem.

8yourv8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
When my tint was done they took off the spoiler. Its not a big deal i watched them remove it and put it back on. It is a pain in the ass for the bottom section and see why he wanted it removed.

jinderC

When my tint was done they took off the spoiler. Its not a big deal i watched them remove it and put it back on. It is a pain in the ass for the bottom section and see why he wanted it removed.
Shouldnā€™t have to be removed and I heard stories it could be a problem.

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 FK8, ā€˜19 XC60 R-Design, ā€˜17 ZL1, ā€˜02 SS
Country flag
They use the outside for a template. They canā€™t do that with the little wing in place. I had to remove the hatches inner plastic, the little spoiler and wiper/motor. Itā€™s really not a big deal.
Sponsored