PearlyWhiteSI

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
So to try and make a long story short, my buddy has a 2020 civic si same as mine. On his ride home the other day every light on the dash came on, the motor ran rough for a second then shut off. The car has 30k miles on it. Towed to dealer and at first they called him and asked when he got gas last. It had been a few days. They called back later and asked when he changed oil last. It had been about 250 miles with a Honda factory filter and Mobil 1. Before even tearing into the car they said a piece of the plastic wrap from around the filter had probably gotten stuck in the oil filter and sucked through the engine. They made him authorize teardown and supposedly found the plastic stuck in an oil passage in the head gasket which caused the engine failure and are refusing to warranty anything or even help him out. They say theyve seen it a lot with customers who do their own oil changes and that their techs have to go through training before they can change oil there. He's trying to go through Honda corporate now but the whole thing just seems suspicious to me. I've been a mechanic for 15 years and never heard of anything like this let alone it being so common they figured it out before looking at the engine. Are there any Honda techs on here that can verify that they've seen this before. He and I have both used these filters since new for a combined 15+ oil changes. I find it hard to believe he missed a piece of plastic large enough to destroy the motor
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd ask to see this mysterious piece of plastic in the engine that they "say" was in there causing the failure. If they can't provide that I'd be calling corporate and a lawyer.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I’ve seen this a couple times. Watch this video. The guy doing the teardown doesn’t know what it is, but he finds the plastic in the exact place you describe. Stuck in the head gasket.

It’s a simple mistake not taking the plastic off the OEM filter, ends up ruining the motor.

Skip to 9:50 in the video to see the plastic wrap stuck in the head gasket.

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
Their techs have extensive training on how to open filters properly.

BTW I just tested this theory on a new filter and no plastic fell in when I opened it from the opening. I guess you have to poke it very hard.

Last edited:

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Skip to 9:50 in the video to see the plastic wrap stuck in the head gasket.
How the hell was there that much plastic in that video. Crazy. I guess that's another reason to pre oil your filter. I fill it up to the top before I screw it on.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Their techs have extensive training on how to open filters properly.
Yeah, they sit lube tech Billy down at a computer and tell him to watch 40 boring ass training videos over the course of 8 hours. I’m sure he pays close attention to every single one.

These aren’t trained mechanics doing oil changes. They’re kids making 12 dollars an hour, as educated as the guy working at taco bell next door. Just another car they don’t care about on the lift.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
They called back later and asked when he changed oil last. It had been about 250 miles with a Honda factory filter and Mobil 1.
If your friend has the receipt that the dealer changed the oil last, that should be enough to take them to court if they still refuse to accept responsibility.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well I am going to be more careful opening filters from now on. Yikes. I always fill up the filter with oil though.

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
Well I am going to be more careful opening filters from now on. Yikes. I always fill up the filter with oil though.
Same....... I think there must have been plastic inside the filter. Center on the filter is the outlet to the engine. Probably took the outer plastic off but did notice plastic inside the filter (production issue).

I always fill the filter with oil, so I always check for any debris before pouring oil into the filter. Good habit everyone should do regardless.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If your friend has the receipt that the dealer changed the oil last, that should be enough to take them to court if they still refuse to accept responsibility.
He never said the dealer did the oil change - he just used a factory filter.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
i guess ill stick to my fram ultra oil filters, no plastic just a sealed box. hope it gets sorted out, this is a little wacky.