rtrono

First Name
Randy/Bianca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2020 Type R
Country flag
We are new to the group and bought a 2020 CW Type R on 7/4/2020. We have noticed that we get almost no sound out of any of the speakers in the back and we get no base at all. I have played with the fade, balance, and base controls. I can bring everything forward but if I go to the back of the car you can just barely hear it and if I go full base it makes no difference at all. Am I missing something?

Honda Civic 10th gen Audio issues with 2020 Type R Type r 2
Sponsored

Res0zsfa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona N, CTR, G35 (sold), 01 s2k, 370z (sold)
Country flag
I have the 2020 as well but never really checked if sound came from the back. I’ll have to get back to you on that

ManEatingPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
First of all, the sound system in the Type R is horrible so don't expect too much from it. However, if you are setting the fade completely to the rear and you barely hearing anything when turning up the volume, you might have an issue and should get that checked out under warranty

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
If you're using android auto or apple carplay, I found that the signal is stronger via just bluetooth and upping bass on the EQ actually makes a difference. I found that on Android Audo/Apple carplay, those EQ settings do not change anything that I can hear and the signal is really weak.

Still doesn't change the fact that the factory system is terrible. Also, swapping out for different subs or speakers wont really do much until you amp the signal through some sort of audio processor. So unless you're willing to spend thousands on a proper set up with added sound deadening (i think this is mandatory for the front woofers) it's not really worth taking apart your interior to get that marginal resolution in sound. Just my 2 cents as I was really close to swapping out the audio system in this car but decided against it.

OP
OP
rtrono

rtrono

First Name
Randy/Bianca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
First of all, the sound system in the Type R is horrible so don't expect too much from it. However, if you are setting the fade completely to the rear and you barely hearing anything when turning up the volume, you might have an issue and should get that checked out under warranty
Thanks. Thats kinda what I thought. Just didnt want to miss something stupid. I will have it looked at.

OP
OP
rtrono

rtrono

First Name
Randy/Bianca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you're using android auto or apple carplay, I found that the signal is stronger via just bluetooth and upping bass on the EQ actually makes a difference. I found that on Android Audo/Apple carplay, those EQ settings do not change anything that I can hear and the signal is really weak.

Still doesn't change the fact that the factory system is terrible. Also, swapping out for different subs or speakers wont really do much until you amp the signal through some sort of audio processor. So unless you're willing to spend thousands on a proper set up with added sound deadening (i think this is mandatory for the front woofers) it's not really worth taking apart your interior to get that marginal resolution in sound. Just my 2 cents as I was really close to swapping out the audio system in this car but decided against it.
I am just trying to use Sirius or FM. I am getting almost no sound at all from the back. I dont expect much from factory setup but with that many speakers I should hear some sound around me.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
You should be getting sound from all the speakers, so if you are not, take it in, for sure. I also don't get the hate for the sound system. Admittedly, my ears are not as young or as good as they used to be (but hey, how much sensitivity do you need to listen to White Zombie and Slipknot, really? :)), but after a couple of weeks with the CTR I think the audio is ok. I came from a 19-speaker Bang & Olufson system in an Audi S5 coupe, which I thought sounded great, but the folks on the Audi forums all said it was terrible, too. In fact, every single forum for every single car I've ever had, and I've owned a lot over the 40+ years since I got my driver's license, people have said the audio sucked. Once in a while, I agreed with them, but usually, even stock systems were ok with me. (Not counting the pre-2000's period, when I routinely replaced every system with after market).

tl;dr, actual problems with the system need to be fixed by the dealer. Actual suitability for your needs is entirely up to you and your ears. With all due respect to the forum community, listen for yourself. Maybe you find it is bad, but maybe you'll be ok with it. As I learned a billion years ago when I thought I was going to be a true audiophile (the cost got astronomical, and I realized I couldn't tell the difference between a $1000 system and $10,000 system), no one else can tell you what "good sound" is. It's all in your head.

OP
OP
rtrono

rtrono

First Name
Randy/Bianca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You should be getting sound from all the speakers, so if you are not, take it in, for sure. I also don't get the hate for the sound system. Admittedly, my ears are not as young or as good as they used to be (but hey, how much sensitivity do you need to listen to White Zombie and Slipknot, really? :)), but after a couple of weeks with the CTR I think the audio is ok. I came from a 19-speaker Bang & Olufson system in an Audi S5 coupe, which I thought sounded great, but the folks on the Audi forums all said it was terrible, too. In fact, every single forum for every single car I've ever had, and I've owned a lot over the 40+ years since I got my driver's license, people have said the audio sucked. Once in a while, I agreed with them, but usually, even stock systems were ok with me. (Not counting the pre-2000's period, when I routinely replaced every system with after market).

tl;dr, actual problems with the system need to be fixed by the dealer. Actual suitability for your needs is entirely up to you and your ears. With all due respect to the forum community, listen for yourself. Maybe you find it is bad, but maybe you'll be ok with it. As I learned a billion years ago when I thought I was going to be a true audiophile (the cost got astronomical, and I realized I couldn't tell the difference between a $1000 system and $10,000 system), no one else can tell you what "good sound" is. It's all in your head.
Thanks man.
I agree that as long as its decent my ears arent gonna tell the difference. I get the same hate on my Jeep Gladiator forum and I think it sounds great. We will bring it in and have it looked at.

Pdpawlak09

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type-R
Country flag

People aren’t happy with the audi B&O system? Wow.. my pops had one and the sound stage is incredible. Best car audio I’ve heard

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
I wasn't very impressed with the factory sound in my 2019. I spent about $750 and added a new center speaker along with a DSP, sub and amp tied into factory sub output. Still wasn't too happy with it, but it sounded better. Then I ran wires to feed the sub amp from the front speakers and installed HondaHack and Viper4Android. I'm very satisfied with the results, it sounds significantly better than factory.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
People aren’t happy with the audi B&O system? Wow.. my pops had one and the sound stage is incredible. Best car audio I’ve heard
The first rule of car forums: No matter how good it is, someone will say it sucks. This applies whether the cars are German luxury rides or hopped up econoboxes. There is a particular type of person who just gets off on peeing in everyone's cornflakes. Yes, there are actual flaws in every car that need to be called out. My grossly expensive (for me at least) Audi had a sub-par backup camera that was always dirty, for instance, and there was no way to equalize volume across input sources, so switching from SD card to satellite radio was annoying. But overall, to find the sort of flaws people were harping about took some real effort.

Audio is super tough to generalize about unless you really focus on numbers. Those numbers can be quite objective, but also quite meaningless. I have known audiophiles who swear that anything not played on a vinyl LP sounds terrible. Um, ok, I say, and go back to my USB stick music.

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
It’s pretty sad when the audio system in my work vehicle (newer model base Ford Explorer) w 6 speakers, CD, am/fm, sounds way better over my CTR. I’m in the 40 + yrs of driving club.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My wife has a 2016 Escape; the sound system with the Sync 3 infotainment stuff is very good. Ford has made a lot of progress since the days of my mid-80s Mustang GT.....
Sponsored