2016 Honda Civic vs 2016 Audi A3 Comparison

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Here's a kind of cruel comparison...What about the base Acura TLX 2.4, which has a list price of $31,695 before destination. I think it's a beautiful car, and it has also sorts of premium features and engineering, including an 8-speed DCT, precision all wheel steering, etc., etc.

But wait, you're probably saying, isn't the TLX a size larger? Yes, it is on the outside, but in terms of interior room the TLX has 93.3 cubic feet inside compared to 95 for a 2016 Civic with a sunroof.

But surely the TLX's trunk is larger? No, the TLX's trunk measures 13.2, while the new Civic's trunk is 15.1.

Plus the new Civic has CarPlay/Android/Auto, which the TLX apparently won't get for another year.

I think the TLX is one of the best looking cars on the road. But so is the 2016 Civic.

And when it comes to acceleration, Car and Driver tested both as going to 60 at 6.8 seconds:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-acura-tlx-24l-test-review
Sponsored

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
My next car will be Subaru WRX/STI.
Love the new WRX. Almost bought one. Long time member of NASIOC. Went to catch up on WRX last night, found out that the motors are blowing at a disturbing rate (remember, I am a fan of WRX, wife has the Saabaru version) seems ring land and detonation issues AGAIN, even on the new FA20DIT.
Also, the engine torque member firewall bracket is tearing at the firewall, necessitating the removal of the IC and dash to re-weld a new bracket on. And oh yeah, will the warranty repaint your firewall? So far, this has happened to an equal number of modded and not-modded WRX's. Color me sad, but maybe Honda has come to the rescue for me??

Hir0shi22

First Name
Hiroshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08' Mint S2000
This is such a dumb comparison and it annoys me how Honda tries so desperately to remain interesting and relevant to it's customer base that they are going to try and draw comparison of a Civic to an Audi (A3). Clearly the Audi A3 is the better engineered and better performing car, but the alterior motive here is obviously to wow the civic fans and buyers as well as to draw them away from the competition i.e. Corolla, Focus, Sentra, Cruze, Forte, Elantra etc.

Silly American marketing strategies. Lol.

The civic is a great car but the reality is that the Civic customer is not in the market/price point of an Audi, and no Audi customer is going to scale down to the Civic class unless they literally went bankrupt or something. Just saying.

In about two years I hope to advance up to an Audi RS3

I love how the fully loaded Civic is more than a match for an entry level A3... Just saying.. Audi isn't all that....
t
Honda has made it no secret that it benchmarked the all new 2016 Civic against the Audi A3 in its quest to better match the Civic's European counterparts. Does the 2016 Honda Civic sedan accomplish this?

Let's check out how they match up on paper and in their designs.

2016-civic-vs-audi-a3.jpg

2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-1.jpg

2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-2.jpg

2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-3.jpg

2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-4.jpg

2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-5.jpg

2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-6.jpg

2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-7.jpg

Honda has made it no secret that it benchmarked the all new 2016 Civic against the Audi A3 in its quest to better match the Civic's European counterparts. Does the 2016 Honda Civic sedan accomplish this?

Let's check out how they match up on paper and in their designs.

2016-civic-vs-audi-a3.jpg

2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-1.jpg

2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-2.jpg

2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-3.jpg

2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-4.jpg

2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-5.jpg

2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-6.jpg

2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-7.jpg

Hir0shi22

First Name
Hiroshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08' Mint S2000
Love the new WRX. Almost bought one. Long time member of NASIOC. Went to catch up on WRX last night, found out that the motors are blowing at a disturbing rate (remember, I am a fan of WRX, wife has the Saabaru version) seems ring land and detonation issues AGAIN, even on the new FA20DIT.
Also, the engine torque member firewall bracket is tearing at the firewall, necessitating the removal of the IC and dash to re-weld a new bracket on. And oh yeah, will the warranty repaint your firewall? So far, this has happened to an equal number of modded and not-modded WRX's. Color me sad, but maybe Honda has come to the rescue for me??
Agreed! Hopped out of an STi for an S2000 and I never looked back. With all the recent work I've done to my S2K I'm spanking WRX's left and right. The WRX is a blast to drive but it's seriously overrated and that's starting to become noticed considering all the competion in that class that are blowing the WRX away i.e. Ford Focus RS, VW Golf-R and Civic Type-R. I'd say the Evo but the Evo is obviously dead now.

Hir0shi22

First Name
Hiroshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08' Mint S2000
No
Performance wise it matches it, and in some tests bests it.
New here, own VW Golf, previously owned numbers of German cars including Audi and BMW.
All I can say this new Civic looks awesome and A3 can't hold candle to it. German cars have become alike and boring, not to mention price.
My next car will be Subaru WRX/STI.
Yeah you are quite delusional, and by the way you don't speak for all Honda fans by the way.

No matter how "awesome" you think the civic looks, nobody scales down to a "Civic" from an Audi, or BMW,(unless of course it's an old model and they are too limited in their finances to buy a new Audi or BMW.) everyone knows that including you so let's be clear on this. The WRX is wayyy overrated and there are much better cars that can best it. I should know because I owned one before I scooped up the S2K. German cars exciting, classy, prestige and fast. And even though they are expensive I still appreciate their quality and uniqueness and my quest/plan on owning an RS3 soon remains even stronger.

If you want to get all peanut butter and jealous about German cars that's on you but expect to get checked if you go online saying dumb things like what you said.

Hir0shi22

First Name
Hiroshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08' Mint S2000
IMO the A3 would benefit from a fastback design similar to the TT or larger A7. It'd make it look longer and sleeker than the current stubbed rear window does, but it'd also make back seat space more cramped with less headroom. A3 shouldve stayed a hatchback i think.
Agreed! Even more I would like to see Audi bring the RS3 in a hatch or wagon variant. I've wanted a nice wagon since I got rid of the WRX but haven't been able to locate one that gives me that must have feeling. I thought about getting a a Focus RS, Golf-R or Golf-R 400 if it ever comes to fruition because they are hatches but won't be ready for a minute so I figured the RS3 will already be out and I'll have graduated by that time so I'd rather wait for the RS3.

Hir0shi22

First Name
Hiroshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08' Mint S2000
Agreed on the Japanese design language vs German. Usually very different. With the new Civic if you removed its badges and front grill (giveaway that it's a Honda) most people would still guess it's a Japanese car. Can't say for pretender brands like Hyundai though. No matter how far they've come since their beginning their sedans are nothing but pieced together copy cat parts and designs from various German cars. :thumbsdown:
Yeah Hyundai is copying excessively far more than Japan brands some models are imitation German and some smaller models are imitation JDM. Yeah a lot of JDM brands are looking more odd or strange but this is what true colorful and unique japanese design is. German design is beautiful, classy, luxurious etc. but they cater to a different market that is all the same world wide. Same with JDM, Korean, and American except for Cadillac. The mass market differs from the smaller but higher class market, it's different strokes for different folk's as American's usually say.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Just poking fun lol

LKN

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring, 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Country flag
This is such a dumb comparison and it annoys me how Honda tries so desperately to remain interesting and relevant to it's customer base that they are going to try and draw comparison of a Civic to an Audi (A3). Clearly the Audi A3 is the better engineered and better performing car, but the alterior motive here is obviously to wow the civic fans and buyers as well as to draw them away from the competition i.e. Corolla, Focus, Sentra, Cruze, Forte, Elantra etc.

Silly American marketing strategies. Lol.

The civic is a great car but the reality is that the Civic customer is not in the market/price point of an Audi, and no Audi customer is going to scale down to the Civic class unless they literally went bankrupt or something. Just saying.

In about two years I hope to advance up to an Audi RS3

t
This is simply not universally true. I could easily afford a 60K or 80K car... but every time I look at a car like that I just don't feel they are anywhere near nicer enough to justify their price. I have owned expensive luxury cars before and I just didn't feel they are worth it.... so yes - I am someone who has scaled down from luxury cars to a Civic despite having a significantly higher income now than when I owned said luxury cars.

I actually test drove Audis and BMWs before purchasing my Civic and while they are nice, the gap isn't anywhere near the size it would need to be to justify the price (at least IMO). The car that came closest to winning me over vs the Civic was actually the Accord touring tbh.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
This is simply not universally true. I could easily afford a 60K or 80K car... but every time I look at a car like that I just don't feel they are anywhere near nicer enough to justify their price. I have owned expensive luxury cars before and I just didn't feel they are worth it.... so yes - I am someone who has scaled down from luxury cars to a Civic despite having a significantly higher income now than when I owned said luxury cars.

I actually test drove Audis and BMWs before purchasing my Civic and while they are nice, the gap isn't anywhere near the size it would need to be to justify the price (at least IMO). The car that came closest to winning me over vs the Civic was actually the Accord touring tbh.
US median household income is about $56K income 2015. Most people actually cant afford a $60k car.

johnc_22

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan - Touring - Cosmic Blue
Country flag
There are some silly ideas in this thread... I traded a 2013 A4 for my Civic because at the end of the day my car is used for a 40 mile daily commute instead of mountain twisties. I've had three SAABs, a BMW I picked up in Munich and the A4 and came to realise I no longer need a car that requires thousands of dollars of after warranty maintenance. The first time I drove a 2017 Civic I was shocked by the level of refinement for about half the cost. I'm really enjoying the car so far.

People don't get wealthy blowing their money on German sports cars...

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
There are some silly ideas in this thread... I traded a 2013 A4 for my Civic because at the end of the day my car is used for a 40 mile daily commute instead of mountain twisties. I've had three SAABs, a BMW I picked up in Munich and the A4 and came to realise I no longer need a car that requires thousands of dollars of after warranty maintenance. The first time I drove a 2017 Civic I was shocked by the level of refinement for about half the cost. I'm really enjoying the car so far.

People don't get wealthy blowing their money on German sports cars...
I agree. My $25K civic comes with backup camera, brakehold, 3 drive mode and a pair of peddle shifter. Not the fastest in the straight line but still really fun to drive. The interior quality is big improvement over a 2007 Rav4. The door closing noise is just as good as our old 2002 BMW 5 series.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I think the tl;dr of this thread is that people look for different things.

I love the styling and status symbol of a "luxury" car.

However, I'm also fairly frugal when it comes to long term purchases, so I factor in more than just that. The fuel economy, Aegean Blue color and standard features that would push an entry level luxury car close to $40K made the Civic Touring a no brainer for me. It has all the things I'd want.

I'd take a top spec Civic over a base Audi every day of the week. Why? Because for me, the bells and whistles of a car I spend all my time behind the wheel of matter to me. Even if I could afford a $60-80K car, as someone else mentioned, I just can't see the value of it other than better build quality and status.

Could be off base, just my .02.
Sponsored