2016 Honda Civic vs Toyota Corolla Comparison

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Why are people still buying the corolla. Yes I am sure its reliable, but specs wise it gets eaten alive by every other car in the class. Its using a way outdated engine. 0-60 in almost 10 seconds? Come on.

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Why are people still buying the corolla. Yes I am sure its reliable, but specs wise it gets eaten alive by every other car in the class. Its using a way outdated engine. 0-60 in almost 10 seconds? Come on.
I don't get it either. Must be value purchases and nothing else.

Here was the top 3 compact sedan sales for September. Corolla nearly beat Civic for first place. :what:

Civic: 28,278
Corolla: 26,636
Elantra: 20,724

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Here was the top 3 compact sedan sales for September. Corolla nearly beat Civic for first place. :what:

I'm also pretty sure before this year the Corolla was still offering a 4 speed automatic. The one and only thing I like about the corolla is the led headlights, they look pretty cool when on at night. Of course there is no comparison to the new touring's leds that will look great on and off.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hahaha that comparison is down right shameful.. LOL Poor Toyota needs to step up there game.. Now the Camery seems like a more comparible car. Wow Honda has done something very special with this new 2016 Civic.. :)

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
The Corolla was a tiny bit better overall than the previous gen (though worse in some ways) but IMO Toyota dropped the ball with it. Thankfully while not perfect, overall Honda did not with the Civic. But people have a false sense of reliability of Toyota, so they still buy. Toyota is good, but has it's fair share of problems. And the interior is never as nice as Nissan and Honda. I can't imagine why someone would buy a Corolla over a 10th gen Civic.

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Corolla was a tiny bit better overall than the previous gen (though worse in some ways) but IMO Toyota dropped the ball with it. Thankfully while not perfect, overall Honda did not with the Civic. But people have a false sense of reliability of Toyota, so they still buy. Toyota is good, but has it's fair share of problems. And the interior is never as nice as Nissan and Honda. I can't imagine why someone would buy a Corolla over a 10th gen Civic.
I can agree with your first statement. The good thing is Honda caught on to Hyundai and Mazda and now surpassed them. Toyota is going to have to play catchup now.

JIM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura rdx
G2 people simply don't do their research. Toyota has been building their cars the past 10 to 12 years with cheaper parts, which they openly admitted and people buy them because of Toyota's past reputation. The best example I have of this is when a customer came in to see me to look at a new Odyssey and told me that all of their family had owned Toyota's for the past 25 years and they had already made up their minds on purchasing a Sienna and had not even driven the Odyssey to compare them. They were just stopping in for a few minutes because they were meeting friends to have lunch with down the road from our dealership and had a few minutes to spare. Now keep in mind that they were going after lunch to buy the Sienna. I asked them if they would give me the 45 minutes they had to sit down in the Odyssey on their own and touch every button and open and close every door to see how the Odyssey felt and when they had climbed in and out of it for about 20 minutes I asked if they would at least drive the Odyssey before they went and purchased the Sienna. They were stunned at the difference in the quality of parts inside the Odyssey and how much different it drove. When we got back from the test drive they called their friends they were meeting for lunch and delayed the meeting and purchased the Odyssey. It is well worth doing our homework as expensive as cars or anything else we purchase are. Assuming one review in one magazine on anything is short cutting ourselves and our hard earned dollars. Research, research,research.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
G2 people simply don't do their research. Toyota has been building their cars the past 10 to 12 years with cheaper parts, which they openly admitted and people buy them because of Toyota's past reputation. The best example I have of this is when a customer came in to see me to look at a new Odyssey and told me that all of their family had owned Toyota's for the past 25 years and they had already made up their minds on purchasing a Sienna and had not even driven the Odyssey to compare them. They were just stopping in for a few minutes because they were meeting friends to have lunch with down the road from our dealership and had a few minutes to spare. Now keep in mind that they were going after lunch to buy the Sienna. I asked them if they would give me the 45 minutes they had to sit down in the Odyssey on their own and touch every button and open and close every door to see how the Odyssey felt and when they had climbed in and out of it for about 20 minutes I asked if they would at least drive the Odyssey before they went and purchased the Sienna. They were stunned at the difference in the quality of parts inside the Odyssey and how much different it drove. When we got back from the test drive they called their friends they were meeting for lunch and delayed the meeting and purchased the Odyssey. It is well worth doing our homework as expensive as cars or anything else we purchase are. Assuming one review in one magazine on anything is short cutting ourselves and our hard earned dollars. Research, research,research.
I recently drove a new RAV4, and a used CRV that was on the Toyota lot. The CRV felt like a luxury car after driving the RAV4.

JIM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura rdx
I can agree with your first statement. The good thing is Honda caught on to Hyundai and Mazda and now surpassed them. Toyota is going to have to play catchup now.
Toyota will never catch up but only be perceived as catching up by loyal Toyota owners and by so many of the reviewers and magazines that constantly show they don't know what they are doing. They truly don't realize how bad Toyota has been the past 12 years and follow the Pied Piper which is Toyota. Heck GMC is by far better than Toyota now. Kind of scary but true.

hondasales21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Civic Si sdn

It's a different story for the Canadian market
Toyota Corolla sales YTD September - 39,972
Honda Civic sales YTD September - 49,609

don't worry I did the math for everyone that's 9,637 more civics then the shitty old man car Corolla
Sponsored