2016 Honda Civic vs Mazda3 Sedan Comparison

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Lemme see, difference between Honda Civic and Mazda 3 ...... big difference in parts and engineering quality. Have fun doing lots of repairs to the Mazda once it's over 100k miles.
I've talked to quite a few independent mechanics, asked them, what's the most reliable for the buck car brands .... Honda, Toyota, Honda and Toyota....

I'd mention VW .... Mazda .... Nissan ... they just shake head, uh, no.
I wonder if that's based on all the years Mazda shared parts with Ford. Now that it's all Japanese, I think quality has improved. I never hear people say the Mazda 3 is anything but reliable.
Sponsored

Ethan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3 GT 6 speed
What's your feeling on which car will be more fun to drive, 6MT Civic Sport or 6MT 3 sGT?
Both Honda and Mazda make excellent manuals, but I think the Civic will have the edge in the engine department. Slight edge goes to Mazda in the handling department. Will probably come down to how well Honda paired the manual transmission to the Turbo engine.

Lemme see, difference between Honda Civic and Mazda 3 ...... big difference in parts and engineering quality. Have fun doing lots of repairs to the Mazda once it's over 100k miles.
I've talked to quite a few independent mechanics, asked them, what's the most reliable for the buck car brands .... Honda, Toyota, Honda and Toyota....

I'd mention VW .... Mazda .... Nissan ... they just shake head, uh, no.
Hondas and Toyotas do not have the quality they used to and I say that as someone who has 2 late model Hondas in my driveway right now (and we had a 2013 Civic). My Mazda has been every bit as reliable as the CR-V we have and it has more miles. The 2011 Odyssey we have has needed struts, a PS pump, the heated seats don't work.... I could go on. It's been disappointing. I don't see anything crazy happening to my 3 in the next 50k and it already has 100k. Statistically the Mazda 3 has always had great reliability. Reliability and quality are not deciding factors between these two cars.

I've owned about 7 Hondas and 5 Mazdas over the past 20 years and done repairs and maintenance on them myself. I haven't noticed a huge difference in quality myself. The only weakness that I've observed has been the auto trannies; went out twice on my Mazdas, never on a Honda.
Having driven both the '16 Civic and 3, I'd agree that the redesigned Civic definitely has the edge between the two. Feels more modern and upscale.
One thing that I would note is that resale is typically higher on Honda. If I were shopping for a reliable used car that I wanted to keep for a while, I would definitely go Mazda over Honda for this reason. You could probably get a Mazda 3 that's three years newer than an equivalently priced Civic.
True. I bought my Mazda 3 for less than what a similar Civic sold for. The Civic has the edge in certain areas that is true (larger, quieter, Turbo availability,etc. Curious if the 2017 upgrades to the 3 made a big difference. However we have a 2016 3 with 9k and have no complaints.

I wonder if that's based on all the years Mazda shared parts with Ford. Now that it's all Japanese, I think quality has improved. I never hear people say the Mazda 3 is anything but reliable.
People say this but just because it shares parts with Ford doesn't mean it's not reliable ;) Mazda Miatas are some of the most durable cars you can buy and some of them came from the Ford era of Mazda. That said quality is certainly improved from my 2010 3 to the 2016. Reliability of the 2014+ Mazda 3s are excellent, but it's the same for the 2010+ models, too.

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
Nope...Honda civic is way better, especially the exterior appearance.
Time has come to replace my 2005 civic. Back in 2005 you could get manuals in most trims. In August of this year only the lx had them. As I was also interested in satellite radio and after hearing so any good things about the Mazda3 I took a test drive. It looked like I could get a grand touring with everything I wanted. Drove nicely but the wind noise was extremely noticeable. Also no side pockets on the doors. For me the wind noise was a deal breaker as the 2016 civic sedan was exceptionally quiet in this regard. But I really wanted something more than a base lx. So I put things off a bit. Then lo and behold, this October Honda releases a 2017 ext sedan with manual and satellite radio!!! Ordered one on the spot

DBlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Civic SE
Well put. I bet the 6MT over cvt civic will make the Civic be the better choice in the end. I always thought the 2016 civic ex felt like a 2016 Corolla and a 2016 Mazda 3. The turbo civic is amazing though but the cvt kills the driving experience. If I didn't live in a stop and go, bumper to bumper city, I would love a manual transmission.
I agree the CVT kills lot of fun so many people consider the Mazda 3. I also did a test drive for a test drive for a Mazda 3 and Civic Touring. For me, I think the Civic 2016's steering wheel is very light and too quiet compare the Mazda 3, even my 2011 Civic. My roommate leased a Mazda 3 last month because the price is much cheaper than a Civic because the Mazda offers a Cash and Grad Rebate. He also adds a navi and sunroof in options (Civic needs to get a EX or higher trim in order to get a sunroof and no navi). I also found that the Mazda 3's information system is pretty well unless they don't have a Carplay or Google Auto (I love the system control knob). The Carplay and Google Auto are bonus for his case (if add a navi in option) since the car has already equipped a Bluetooth connection and navi already. The other thing is Mazda 3 has a manual-shift mode but Civic Sedan does not offer that.

TBH, I wanna trade out my 2011 Civic and get a Civic Hatch - looking for a Touring CVT originally. However, after a test drive of a Civic Touring Sedan, I am still thinking should I choose a Mazda 3 or wait for a Touring Hatch. In Canada, the price of the Touring Hatch is quite high after tax (almost a ILX price), but the ILX do not have a 60/40 rear seat.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
When I worked at a Mazda healer in the mid-90's, most models used Ford automatics. There wasn't a day we didn't have a car in getting the AT replaced.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I agree the CVT kills lot of fun so many people consider the Mazda 3. I also did a test drive for a test drive for a Mazda 3 and Civic Touring. For me, I think the Civic 2016's steering wheel is very light and too quiet compare the Mazda 3, even my 2011 Civic. My roommate leased a Mazda 3 last month because the price is much cheaper than a Civic because the Mazda offers a Cash and Grad Rebate. He also adds a navi and sunroof in options (Civic needs to get a EX or higher trim in order to get a sunroof and no navi). I also found that the Mazda 3's information system is pretty well unless they don't have a Carplay or Google Auto (I love the system control knob). The Carplay and Google Auto are bonus for his case (if add a navi in option) since the car has already equipped a Bluetooth connection and navi already. The other thing is Mazda 3 has a manual-shift mode but Civic Sedan does not offer that.

TBH, I wanna trade out my 2011 Civic and get a Civic Hatch - looking for a Touring CVT originally. However, after a test drive of a Civic Touring Sedan, I am still thinking should I choose a Mazda 3 or wait for a Touring Hatch. In Canada, the price of the Touring Hatch is quite high after tax (almost a ILX price), but the ILX do not have a 60/40 rear seat.
The Mazda 3 definitely has sportier steering and controls in general than the 2016 EX-T i drove. But the different is not enough to justify the tighter interior and smaller trunk, and lower gas mileage. Most of all, the Civic just feels more solid, feels next gen vs last gen in the Mazda 3.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Been reading reviews on the 2017 Mazda 3 that now offers the 6MT on its top trims, along with corner vectoring and a refreshed interior. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm expecting it to retake the top spot in the small car category where it's currently tied with the Civic for #1.

The feature set is more in line with the Golf and Focus in terms of making things like GPS and Lighting optional packages across multiple trims. Something Honda doesn't do (they limit their features to trim levels). If they only offered a Speed3 package, I'd be all over it.

More about the updates here:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-mazda-3-debuts-with-sharper-looks-news

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic vs Mazda3 Sedan Comparison 2017-Mazda3-front-interior-seats

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
Been reading reviews on the 2017 Mazda 3 that now offers the 6MT on its top trims, along with corner vectoring and a refreshed interior. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm expecting it to retake the top spot in the small car category where it's currently tied with the Civic for #1.

The feature set is more in line with the Golf and Focus in terms of making things like GPS and Lighting optional packages across multiple trims. Something Honda doesn't do (they limit their features to trim levels). If they only offered a Speed3 package, I'd be all over it.

More about the updates here:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-mazda-3-debuts-with-sharper-looks-news
Yeah man it just really blows that Mazda hasn't added a performance/sport trim to the Mazda3 lineup. I love everything about the 3 but the engine/performance.

Love the exterior, love the interior but the car itself is a bore to drive.
Sponsored