2016 Honda Civic vs Toyota Corolla Comparison

Cherub2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
The Corolla looks like a 10 year old car next to the new Civic.
That's because it basically is. I have a 2005 Corolla Sport (now a 2016 civic) and the boy styles of the 2016-6 Corollas looked basically the same. I didn't want a new car that looked like a shiny version of my old car.
Sponsored

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
That's because it basically is. I have a 2005 Corolla Sport (now a 2016 civic) and the boy styles of the 2016-6 Corollas looked basically the same. I didn't want a new car that looked like a shiny version of my old car.
The same could be said for the 2006-2015 Civic too, other than changes in the front and rear plastic (like the Corolla). Not quite as big of a time span.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is a video comparing the 2016 Honda Civic EX with the 2016 Toyota Corolla S Plus

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
There is almost no comparison. The Honda gets way more horsepower AND better mileage. This is before we start talking about electronics and sensing

Hondachick2122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Corolla S, 1988 Honda CRX
I created an account just to reply to this thread. I am a bigger fan of Honda than I am of Toyota in general. That being said I really wasn't a fan of the 9th generation Civic, so i bought my Corolla. I would consider trading it in for a new civic if it wasn't for one very important factor... I will not buy an automatic vehicle! I love the changes they've made to the new civic, but you can only get the very base model in the sedan with a manual transmission. You can get just about any Corolla with a manual. Now I've heard that in the future Honda might offer the manual transmission with more options but until that happens I can't give up my control over my car. The rest of the points listed in this thread i agree with though! ;-)

chaidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
981 Porsche Cayman, 2016 corolla L
I think both the civic and corolla offer a lot for their respective buyers. For myself, the corolla sits up higher, feels roomier, and is a more comfortable ride for commuting. To sum up the corolla, I'd say "it's easy". It's also a better winter car imo, since you have more clearance and corollas have been known to be a pretty decent off-road vehicle. Now, if my corolla was my only car, I may have considered the civic instead. The civic is a sharper car, and is loaded with a ton more tech. It is definitely quicker and more fun to drive. With all that said, this site is full of enthusiasts, and it makes perfect sense that the civic is far ahead.

It's really a simple comparison.

techbrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback, 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL, 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring
If nothing else, the Corolla has a volume knob. I want to drag the Civic designer that decided not to put a volume knob on the dash out into the street and run over him while I'm trying to adjust the volume without a knob.

AMQ92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring Coupe, '09 Civic EX
Country flag
If nothing else, the Corolla has a volume knob. I want to drag the Civic designer that decided not to put a volume knob on the dash out into the street and run over him while I'm trying to adjust the volume without a knob.
That's quite brutal. Honestly, I was the same way with regards to the volume knob but I don't even touch the touch panel at all - everything is controlled by the steering wheel controls. The sliding gesture on the steering volume control makes things much easier.

techbrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback, 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL, 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring
I'm sure it does. Too bad the 2017 models don't have the sliding gesture. :)

I, too, use the steering wheel controls, since the touch screen is such a mess. I've always wished the controls were reversed, though. I prefer the cruise control controls on the left side simply due to the way I drive.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
I don't get the angst over the lack of volume knob. I'm middle aged, so if anything I should be the old fogey bitching about the lack thereof. But really, I never use the knob anyway when I have a car with steering wheel controls. I adapted in a few days.

Regarding the Corolla. I test drove one, and rode in a new one as an Uber lately. Frankly, I'd be embarrassed if I was Toyota. The car feels really cheap. Road noise in the back seat of the Uber was high. The interior plastics are crude. The dash and window sills feel really high, creating a non-airy interior. It's like sitting in a tub. The steering was among the worst electric setups I've experienced.

There must be a lot of people who don't care one iota about driving dynamics or refinement. I guess they just want a reliable car they don't have to think about above all other considerations. Like a microwave you buy at Wal Mart.

chaidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
981 Porsche Cayman, 2016 corolla L
I don't get the angst over the lack of volume knob. I'm middle aged, so if anything I should be the old fogey bitching about the lack thereof. But really, I never use the knob anyway when I have a car with steering wheel controls. I adapted in a few days.

Regarding the Corolla. I test drove one, and rode in a new one as an Uber lately. Frankly, I'd be embarrassed if I was Toyota. The car feels really cheap. Road noise in the back seat of the Uber was high. The interior plastics are crude. The dash and window sills feel really high, creating a non-airy interior. It's like sitting in a tub. The steering was among the worst electric setups I've experienced.

There must be a lot of people who don't care one iota about driving dynamics or refinement. I guess they just want a reliable car they don't have to think about above all other considerations. Like a microwave you buy at Wal Mart.
I've test driven the new civic and found it cramped compared to my corolla. The materials are cheap as well. I'm comparing a civic lx vs a base corolla. In the end, I have my fun car, and the corolla is a great appliance for commuting imo. Plus, you can't beat the cost of ownership over 10 years. I'm curious to see how all these turbo engines pan out over 10 years.
Sponsored