OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
For maximum longevity and performance my personal opinion is you're better off starting with the Si, which as @gtman said is a much better car from the factory.

If you're interested in only running a basemap, or a couple bolt ons with a custom tune, I don't think you're necessarily unsafe doing so on a FK7.

But in my experience a couple bolt ons and a basemap turns into wanting FBO and 250+ whp over time and then you may find yourself wanting the Si to base yourself on. I LOVE having a hatch but if I could do it over I would have gotten an Si and maybe things would have turned out differently on my journey.
You're right about the "wanting more" thing. There's no such thing as "last mod" ?
Sponsored

OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
I'm curious if anyone has or knows someone on the forums that has upgraded the internals of their non-si 1.5t and how much it cost? It might be worth upgrading the hatchback internals so I can keep the hatchback look and have the peace of mind. I have no clue how much that would cost, not even a ballpark estimate, so if someone could chime in on that, that would be great.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So in your opinion, with my power goals, would you suggest going for the Si with the stronger internals or am I okay sticking with the hatchback?
Go with the Si and be done with it.

Mrbadwrench

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic ex-t sedan
Country flag
Go to a dealer and test drive them and decide for yourself which one you like.
I went with the intentions of buying an si. I didn't really like the si on the test drive so I tried a ex-t and I absolutely loved it.

Either car will hold up to 240hp no problem.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I'm curious if anyone has or knows someone on the forums that has upgraded the internals of their non-si 1.5t and how much it cost? It might be worth upgrading the hatchback internals so I can keep the hatchback look and have the peace of mind. I have no clue how much that would cost, not even a ballpark estimate, so if someone could chime in on that, that would be great.
You're looking at 1200-1700 USD for rods and pistons. Probably another 1000-1200 USD in machine shop costs. And maybe 2000 USD in labor to pull the motor, tear it down, reassemble, and reinstall it. And at the end of the day you'd still have the worse cylinder head and fuel system from the hatch vs the Si.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
If performance is your top priority, get an Si. Better rods, turbo, handling, LSD (which is amazing how it pulls the car through curves), 2 stage dampeners and throttle response....better power with OTS tunes, better shifter feel and on and on.

I too was looking at the Sport Touring Hatch but it was more $$$ than the Si!

I love my Si sedan and the fun it brings every drive. If you can swing it, it’s worth the money.

OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
If performance is your top priority, get an Si. Better rods, turbo, handling, LSD (which is amazing how it pulls the car through curves), 2 stage dampeners and throttle response....better power with OTS tunes, better shifter feel and on and on.

I too was looking at the Sport Touring Hatch but it was more $$$ than the Si!

I love my Si sedan and the fun it brings every drive. If you can swing it, it’s worth the money.
Top priority is smoking cocky v6 charger owners in my area :drive: but really, performance is important, but definitely not the end all be all for me. I will have to make a pros and cons list when it comes time to pull the trigger and really think about it for a few days. Unfortunately, I personally can't test drive either since this would be my first manual, but I have a friend who can do the driving. Anyways, I appreciate everyone's input and let's see what I end up getting!

Janssen098

First Name
Janssen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic si
Country flag
I bet it’s the sport trim, which usually have the larger wheels and visible tailpipes, but there’s always some overlap between the SI from a visual standpoint, so it could be either one.
Yeah for sure could be the sport model. Kind of hope they keep that style exhaust on the si as well if so it so much a fan of the hdmi port we have currently. Always like the exhaust that style like the gti but the 27won and a few others for our 10th gen do look good with the 2-4 pipes in the center.

KTunedtoStock

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I got the 2018 sedan Si in December 2020, it was also my first manual. Its really easy to shift and the clutch isn't tough like people say other manuals can be. Im running phaerable 1.5 and the car holds well. It does really depend on what you like, but as most of the guys here say the Si has stronger internals if you want to tune it and add bolt ons. I would rely on what they have to say on the subject, so I second getting an Si.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Got a 19 HB sport with a ktuner 21 psi and I do smoke the V6 chargers easily. It's even froma stop to about 70kph but then you pull away like they let off the gas it's hillarious. No other mods outside the stage 1 air filter kit from PRL. I love my hatch for the room it has and the insane amount of shit you can shove in it. I brought back a 55" TV stand and I was able to close the hatch!!!!!! Performance-wise an LSD would be nice but with decent tires(stock contis are ok but with the tune you break traction in 2nd gear until 5000rpm every time you punch it) it wouldn't be as needed if you don't track the car. Get the phearable tune for non-SI and you're right at 220whp running on 94 octane. Full exhaust and a good intake will prob get you around 235-240 with a re-tune. You'll definitely need a clutch even with the stock ktuner 21 psi tune so account for that(on both SI and non-SI) in your purchase(1500$+ install). My ACT kit is really good and would hold your power goals no problems.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Probably shouldn't get any Civic, Type R included.
I beat on V6 american cars all the time in my hatch, it's a very surprising little car, i wasn't expecting it the first time. All while averaging 6L/100km... pretty hard to beat.

NorrinRadd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Manual 1.5T, KTuner + TSP1
Country flag
Once you go hatch, it's hard to go back.

Now that I'm making some power I'm wishing I had an LSD, but given the choice I'd still gladly take the hatch. It's so incredibly useful.

Aside from traction while in boost, I have zero complaints about power or handling. With the few inexpensive mods I've done I'm making all the power I need and can throw it around curvy roads with confidence.

Janssen098

First Name
Janssen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic si
Country flag
Yeah for sure could be the sport model. Kind of hope they keep that style exhaust on the si as well if so it so much a fan of the hdmi port we have currently. Always like the exhaust that style like the gti but the 27won and a few others for our 10th gen do look good with the 2-4 pipes in the center.
Also never typing crap on my phone again while I’m walking into work because wow....

Osobigg

Grand Sky Marshal of the North
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatchback 6MT Polished Metal
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As someone with a 2018 6MT Sport Hatch in Canada, i love the bodystyle, but i really wish i had the LSD. Living in Winter most of the year, it would be really nice to have a more solid front end in terms of traction. Plus the better suspension setup is a +1 for Granny/Racer duality

If there was a Hatchback 10th gen SI, i would've bought that in a heartbeat. The Sedan looks pretty decent IMHO, but the Wing could go, and swap for a ducktail.

Use Good Gas (i use Ultra 94 from PetroCanada on my TSP Stage 1 Tune. Shell 91 was alright, and Husky 94 if i can't find Ultra 94)
Sponsored