Veloster N

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
I don't like the three door body style but besides that it doesn't look too bad tbh.

Sponsored

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Doug is a moron. He spent like a minute bitching about the spoiler flopping when you shut the hatch on the Type R. Why though? Who cares? The engine and transmission are bulletproof and I literally did not notice or care on my CTR how the spoiler acts. I only care that it drives like a bat out of hell and can carry 4 people and haul a bunch of shit if I need it to with crazy good fuel economy and low maintenance requirements.

Veloster N looks ho-hum with garbage coloring. All reviews are commenting on the crappy shifting dynamics and lack of steering feel, especially at the limit. If you want to sacrifice functionality to look boring, then by all means. This is the car for you.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Doug is a moron. He spent like a minute bitching about the spoiler flopping when you shut the hatch on the Type R. Why though? Who cares? The engine and transmission are bulletproof and I literally did not notice or care on my CTR how the spoiler acts. I only care that it drives like a bat out of hell and can carry 4 people and haul a bunch of shit if I need it to with crazy good fuel economy and low maintenance requirements.

Veloster N looks ho-hum with garbage coloring. All reviews are commenting on the crappy shifting dynamics and lack of steering feel, especially at the limit. If you want to sacrifice functionality to look boring, then by all means. This is the car for you.
You're forgetting that the Veloster N crushes the CTR in value for money. Hyundai cars are generally always marked down heavily from MSRP versus the CTR which is usually the opposite with dealers marking them up. You could probably get a Veloster N for a hell of a good deal which is a lot of the times the deciding factor.

Also, don't know which reviews you're reading but the reviews that I have read at least, say that the transmission is short shifting and overall great and the steering is direct and well-tuned. I'm not saying it is better than the CTR but it is certainly an extremely strong competitor. The biggest negative for me is honestly the styling in the rear, I don't hate it but I think all of it's rivals (including the CTR) have better rear end styling.

Last edited:

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Doug is more of an entertainer than a bonafide reviewer. Granted he's done some good reviews here and there, most of it is just entertainment, and the hoot of the show is what gets him subscribers, and that's the bottom line. Nonetheless, his shows are very entertaining.

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I don't like the three door body style but besides that it doesn't look too bad tbh.

I can't get past the funky 3 door set-up! I really hope they bring the i30N to North America!

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
After this guy's rant about the CTR and its overdone styling and "flappy rear wing" as he slams the hatch closed repeatedly, I can't take any of his reviews seriously.

OP
OP
thatlilwhiteone

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
After this guy's rant about the CTR and its overdone styling and "flappy rear wing" as he slams the hatch closed repeatedly, I can't take any of his reviews seriously.
hahahaha he talk way too fucking much. I just look at the car features he does a good job of pointing shit out.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag

All the reviews of the N that I've seen have been favorable to the extreme. Yes, there have been some comments regarding the lack of steering feel at the limit, but overall it's an absolutely incredible value for the money (perhaps even more so than the SI). And it gets one thing right that Honda did not: exhaust note. That adaptive exhaust is awesome, and is super expensive to replicate with an aftermarket option (the Remus exhaust comes to mind).

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
You're forgetting that the Veloster N crushes the CTR in value for money. Hyundai cars are generally always marked down heavily from MSRP versus the CTR which is usually the opposite with dealers marking them up. You could probably get a Veloster N for a hell of a good deal which is a lot of the times the deciding factor.

Also, don't know which reviews you're reading but the reviews that I have read at least, say that the transmission is short shifting and overall great and the steering is direct and well-tuned. I'm not saying it is better than the CTR but it is certainly an extremely strong competitor. The biggest negative for me is honestly the styling in the rear, I don't hate it but I think all of it's rivals (including the CTR) have better rear end styling.
If the MSRP for the N comes in at $30K, which is what industry publications are saying, then no this will not "crush the CTR in value for money".

People are buying CTRs at MSRP now and have been for a while. Sure you have to do some hunting to find it, but they're there.

Also, people need to stop comparing the N to the CTR. N is in a class LOWER than the CTR. The N was built with the intention of competing with WRXs and GTIs.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If the MSRP for the N comes in at $30K, which is what industry publications are saying, then no this will not "crush the CTR in value for money".

People are buying CTRs at MSRP now and have been for a while. Sure you have to do some hunting to find it, but they're there.

Also, people need to stop comparing the N to the CTR. N is in a class LOWER than the CTR. The N was built with the intention of competing with WRXs and GTIs.
It will be starting under 30k from what I have seen.
I agree the CTR is in a higher class though but the N is above the GTi/WRX... it slots right between. Not a bad value either because those cars are touching low 30s when loaded. But if it were me I would spend the extra 5-7k for a CTR.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag

CTR has better performance than the Veloster N, period. No one is arguing that, but its rather the ratio between what you are spending and what you are getting. As @MavicTB said, it is starting under $30K and Hyundais (at least in my area) are always marked down from MSRP, and chances are you can get a a much better deal on a Veloster N than a CTR. Not saying one is a better choice than the other, it just depends whether someone would rather spend less for a N and get a fun to drive car or spend more for the R and get the best performing front wheel drive car on the market. Personally, I am not a fan of how overstyled and "look at me" the CTR is, but I respect it's performance and I love Hondas in general so I would pick the R over the N. Its all subjective.

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan; 1997 Mazda Miata
20 years from now, will that Hyundai still be on the road with 150,000 miles? Doubtful. But a Honda? A WRX? A gti? Yes.

There’s more to the price of cheap Korean cars than what the sticker says. These cars age like mayflies. Trust me, I’ve driven dozens of used Hyundais (and kias) and they fall apart so quickly. So yes, maybe 30K is a great deal for the performance, but it’s still a hunk of junk that will trade in for half its value in 2 years.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
20 years from now, will that Hyundai still be on the road with 150,000 miles? Doubtful. But a Honda? A WRX? A gti? Yes.

There’s more to the price of cheap Korean cars than what the sticker says. These cars age like mayflies. Trust me, I’ve driven dozens of used Hyundais (and kias) and they fall apart so quickly. So yes, maybe 30K is a great deal for the performance, but it’s still a hunk of junk that will trade in for half its value in 2 years.
Maybe that's been your experience but the 20,000+ members I had at my elantraclub.com forum would say otherwise. Hyundai and Kia now build solid, reliable cars and have for a while now. Where they lacked was in the performance area so getting Albert Biermann from BMW's M division was a huge move for them.

I'm old enough to remember people calling Hondas pieces of shit in the early days too. Times change.

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan; 1997 Mazda Miata
Maybe that's been your experience but the 20,000+ members I had at my elantraclub.com forum would say otherwise. Hyundai and Kia now build solid, reliable cars and have for a while now. Where they lacked was in the performance area so getting Albert Biermann from BMW's M division was a huge move for them.

I'm old enough to remember people calling Hondas pieces of shit in the early days too. Times change.
I’m sure an Elantra forum is the best place to find unbiased, objective information on the Elantra:rolleyes:

Hondas actually were always good. From the time they came to America, they built quality cars. Racist baby boomers and their parents tended to call Hondas crap simply because they were Japanese. But they were never anything short of reliable way back then.

Anyway, I still think any Hyundai is a poor vessel to sink any money into.:dunno:
Sponsored