2016 Civic 1.5L Turbo Surges at Highway Speeds (45–70 MPH) S.B. #16-028

civic5x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R, '16 Civic Sedan Touring, 2016 Land Rover LR4
Country flag
I think I will wait to bring it in, for now, unless I feel the issue. I have a sense there will be some more updates in the not distant future. I should also reiterate that I was vocal on this or another forum about an infotainment issue but mine was dust on the touchscreen with the sensitivity set to high. Once set to low it fixed the going-back-to-home-screen issue. I got the original audio update by accident 2 days after delivery when I went back to get the window tinting taken off and haven't had any audio issues (knock on wood). The dealer installed tint was too dark at night for these old eyes. The 450W system sounds great and with around 3400 miles on my car I am still loving it.
Sponsored

Steve101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
According to the date it doesn't come out until tomorrow and the HDS software version has not been released to the dealerships yet, it might be tomorrow since the bulletin will be out.

123.jpg

1234.jpg

676.jpg
Thanks for posting this information. My 2016 Civic Ex-T is in the shop right now with this very complaint! Great timing!! I hope this solves the issue.

dusten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Accord EX-L; 2016 Civic Touring
Mine surges slightly in the 45-70 range but its real bad at 80+ mph... I wonder if I'm screwed on that
Changing the speed up or down 1 mph seems to make it go away for a while, I've only had it happen with cruise set at 81. I blamed it on ACC and figured it was lightly engaging the brake. Just got the audio sound software update on Monday. That had been locking up at least once a week, sometimes it took 4 or 5 reboots to get the audio sound back and other times after 10 minutes it would just come back. I was blaming it on SiriusXM until I got the notice. Seems to be fixed now. Glad they are putting out these fixes.

Last edited:

klm57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord, 2015 Chevy Equinox
I have an appointment to take my car in next Tuesday. Keeping my fingers crossed this is the end of it.

Last edited:

CE1_nobling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX 6sp , 1997 Honda Accord EX Wagon , 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 6.0
Country flag
I just sent the link to this thread to a co-worker that's been having issues with his.
thank you !! :headbang:

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am sure glad I decided to let all the bugs get worked out... geesh loving my 2013 Si

I think I will wait to bring it in, for now, unless I feel the issue. I have a sense there will be some more updates in the not distant future. I should also reiterate that I was vocal on this or another forum about an infotainment issue but mine was dust on the touchscreen with the sensitivity set to high. Once set to low it fixed the going-back-to-home-screen issue. I got the original audio update by accident 2 days after delivery when I went back to get the window tinting taken off and haven't had any audio issues (knock on wood). The dealer installed tint was too dark at night for these old eyes. The 450W system sounds great and with around 3400 miles on my car I am still loving it.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
TSB says they pay the dealers for 12 minutes of tech labor. YMMV.

RayColor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic 1.5L Turbo Surges at Highway Speeds (45–70 MPH) S.B. #16-028 image
So got my tcm updated Friday and the surge has somewhat subsided. Wouldn't say it's completely gone but it's not as jumpy. Its a strange thing to try and duplicate...light throttle at certain speed (unsweet spot)...for me it was 59mph, level road, about 3 seconds after I get to light throttle. Now it seems the tempo of the surge has slowed...like it's trying to learn how to stay at the correct rpm given the speed and road resistance. It's been windy on the roads while I was testing it out, so will take a video one the conditions are normal.

quasihumanist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex hs
As a mathematician, though not one specializing in anything remotely related, the timing of this fix makes me suspicious. I give even odds this doesn't really fix things or causes other problems.

Self-learning algorithms of this sort are either something you completely understand, or they behave quite unpredictably with the possibility that they are subject to unexpected feedback loops that lead to learning odd behaviors such as the surging.

If the mathematicians and engineers had understood the behavior of their system and gotten it right in the first place, and it was a programming error, one would expect the fix to have been found much earlier.

If the mathematicians and engineers really thought about the system and figured out how it was learning to surge and figured out how to tune the system so that it wouldn't surge, I would expect it to have taken a lot longer than 2 or 3 months.

So to me it seems like they vaguely guessed at what was going on, tried some tweaks almost randomly, put it on a few (first simulated then actual) cars, and tested if it came out better. I doubt they really understand the thing completely, so there is the possibility more changes are likely.

Then again, we still don't know after a few decades whether the Navier-Stokes equations allow for the possibility of water spontaneously exploding or not, so maybe not having a full understanding isn't such a big deal in practice.
Sponsored