OP
OP
jmsteel16

jmsteel16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Ok. That's better clarification. You didnt lose "ALL" power while driving (meaning no power/lights/spark etc.) but rather you lost engine power but retained electrical for lights and what not. With that being said, loose battery terminals is unlikely your issue. If you were driving and the engine died being under load, the specific events prior to that happening is more important. You mentioned you shifted from D to S and when your reached 4000rpm it died. If your car isn't throwing a code then its most likely the loss of engine power under load was something tripped a relay and/or a command in your ECU. Shorts can trip a relay without throwing a code and will be hard to isolate. The specific chain of events you performed at that speed could have caused your ECU to literally reset while driving, hence why you were able to turn the car back on after a few minutes. You mentioned this has happened more than once, I'd try to encourage your Honda dealer to replace the ECU. If it continues to happen after replacing the ECU, then you have a probability of having a software issue or a short somewhere as said before.
The ECU was apparently what they reset? And the issue has occurred both in sunny weather and raining now. The other two times it was beautiful out. Cold the first time though because it was around Valentine's day. Before I attempted to pass the truck I was just cruising at 63, then slowed to 50ish because he was going that speed. But nothing other than the deceleration occurred. I didn't touch carplay, the climate control, headlights, nothing at all.
Sponsored

2hot2handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC-TOURING, 2005 EVO VIII
So around Valentines was the first incident? And just twice after that? So not happening within days of each other huh?....... Thats gonna be hard to isolate. It's going to be hard to convince Honda to swap your ECU for a new one since it can't be replicated, but it's worth a try. If all Honda did was reset your ECU, that might not fix anything if the ECU is bad. Its going to be just as difficult to find the short or as said a few posts before, an intermittent open connection that can cause the same thing.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I hope the dealer offers a Logger to connect to OBD2. . but i would think a 2016. vehicle would have a built in ECU memory that can be downloaded

2hot2handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC-TOURING, 2005 EVO VIII
I dont believe many if any manufactures include data loggers within their ECU's. The ECU will have records of flashing/reflash and maybe previous codes that get thrown, but not anything similar to aftermarket data loggers (like for tunning purposes that record load, TPS, timing, knock, etc.).

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
It's in the manual that the Civic does have a "blackbox". As to the extent of how far back it'll record, I donno.

Dapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring Civic, 2008 Infiniti FX35,
Vehicle Showcase
I work at the busiest dealership in the state of Tennessee and this is new to me. We are all glad that your O.k.

howrd29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Vehicle Showcase
You can also purchase a $50 dash cam on Amazon and instead of putting it on your windshield place it somewhere inside the car that clearly records your dash, your hands on the wheel, and maybe a bit of the road ahead if possible. The good thing about the dashcam is that it records in a continuous cycle in an hour or two intervals (depending on the size of the microSD card you get) so if this happens again you simply stop recording and now you have a record of the incident. It also does audio. Just a thought.

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Would this happen if the transponder within the key is erratic, or the receiver within the car is the same? The net equivalent of driving away without having the key after you started it with?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
No, ignition wouldn't start if the key wasn't in proximity. Once the car starts, it'll drive as normal even if you throw the key out the window while driving.

It'll beep and tell you the key is no longer in proximity, but it will not shut down. It won't however, turn on again.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
The ECU was apparently what they reset? And the issue has occurred both in sunny weather and raining now. The other two times it was beautiful out. Cold the first time though because it was around Valentine's day. Before I attempted to pass the truck I was just cruising at 63, then slowed to 50ish because he was going that speed. But nothing other than the deceleration occurred. I didn't touch carplay, the climate control, headlights, nothing at all.
So, what was the outcome? Any updates?

micha3lwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CBP EX-T, 2013 CRV EX
Country flag
Bump since I had this same issue but I was on the German autobahn going approx. 160 km/h. It was incredibly dangerous for me as I was passing on the left lane and my civic lost all engine power..

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I does almost sound like ECU does a re-boot. This would explain why it resolves. The question is what triggers the restart.

Mich is yours a 2.0 also? Did it also go into accessory mode.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
I does almost sound like ECU does a re-boot. This would explain why it resolves. The question is what triggers the restart.

Mich is yours a 2.0 also? Did it also go into accessory mode.
2016 Civic EX-T has a 1.5T.

Has anyone had this issue on a 1.5T? I was on the autobahn going ~160kph and my engine just cut off. No acceleration response from throttle at all and I checked my transmission to make sure I was still in D. I did notice however that the mpg bar was still reacting to throttle even though the my civic wasn't accelerating. Managed to pull over safely and turned off the car. When I tried to start again, the car wouldn't start and there was a noticeable shudder coming from under the hood. I waited a few more seconds and it started. This is a huge concern to me especially traveling on the autobahn..

Last edited: