Hatch feels unstable at highway speeds

Dtfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback, 2004 Acura TSX, 2001 Chevy Silverado
I have drove many vehicles from compact cars to large trucks, but with this hatch it seems very unstable at highway speeds when it is windy or driving close behind a semi. During winds the car sways from left to right and I will have a hard time keeping it on a straight track. Driving behind a semi at highway speeds around 70 the car will literally wobble left to right and feels unsafe. Anyone else experiencing this? Not sure if it is due to the car's aerodynamics or possibly loose suspension components, sway bar, etc.? Should I get the dealer to check it out?
Sponsored

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Haven't noticed it, but I came from a Honda Fit, and that car was a handful in crosswinds. So this car seems to be much better in comparison.

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
Not a hatchback, but I've had a Mazda 3 to drive lately, .. which has a kind of hatchback shape. The first thing I noticed out on the highway was how much more the Mazda 3 caught the side gusts of wind than my Civic sedan. I guess profiles (even a few inches worth) can make a difference.

/add, .. you might experiment with (lower) tire pressure and see if that helps
// .. around town, I'd say the Mazda might be slightly better in the handling department, but the tires on it probably cost almost double the firestones my civic came with

Last edited:

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
Check tire pressure, sometimes the dealers leave 55psi in them

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
Have the dealership check alignment. My front toe was out of alignment from the factory. Have this checked early before they claim it as wear/tear (like you hit a curb or something) and not want to cover it under warranty

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I went on my first road trip last week. Got the car up to 75 mph on the highway. Noticed it swayed a lot left and right. Wind was very light that day. I'm at 1,500 miles, so can't be wear and tear.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I had an alignment done on mine at around 500 miles and it made a big difference. It felt unstable on the highway and seemed to float around. Sure enough the alignment was off from the factory.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
Made alignment appointment at dealer. They asked if I hit a curb, I said no maybe it's off from the factory. It only swayed like that once on the highway, now it's back to normal and drives straight. Tire pressure is 33 all around.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Haven't noticed anything, but most cars will sway behind a semi at highway speeds due to the extreme turbulence they create. I've driven back and forth to Cali almost 600 miles each way and didn't notice anything and they had high wind advisories at times along that route.

coolt

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T Sedan
I have drove many vehicles from compact cars to large trucks, but with this hatch it seems very unstable at highway speeds when it is windy or driving close behind a semi. During winds the car sways from left to right and I will have a hard time keeping it on a straight track. Driving behind a semi at highway speeds around 70 the car will literally wobble left to right and feels unsafe. Anyone else experiencing this? Not sure if it is due to the car's aerodynamics or possibly loose suspension components, sway bar, etc.? Should I get the dealer to check it out?
My new EX-T Sedan doesn't like turbulence or crosswinds either, compared to my Mazda3 which was rock steady. Feels like the toe in is set to absolute minimum for maximum gas mileage.
Sponsored